Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Y and T

Go down 
+6
stepcousin
Metal Misfit
the sentinel
DeathCult
tohostudios
James B.
10 posters
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 5:26 pm

I just seen them and had a blast going down memory lane.
Last night I listened to alot of old vinyl by them, starting with "Yesteday and Today" then "struckdown", "earthshaker", "black tiger", "mean streak", "In Rock We Trust" and ending up with "Open Fire"
I don't have anything after those on any format. If you get a chance to check them out, it is a good solid hard rock and roll show. Good tunes, musicianship, and vocal harmonies.
The show I just caught wasthe first time I'd seen them since 87' at the Wiltern Theater in El Lay playing middle slot with Frehley's Comet and Faster Pu$$ycat opening. A few months prior to that I was at the show that Emerald opened for them. Anyone else enjoy them ?

edit: I repeated myself so I deleted the redundant parts lol!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Yep. Although the only one I own is "10", I've liked everything I've heard by this band. I really should scrounge up a compilation of there's.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 5:32 pm

Thanks for helping me spend my money James B.

Just ordered The Ultimate Collection - Remastered for about $10. This one has all the songs I know and love by Y&T on it.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 5:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Thanks for helping me spend my money James B.

Just ordered The Ultimate Collection - Remastered for about $10. This one has all the songs I know and love by Y&T on it.

right on bro.....if ya get a chance to get check out the older 70's stuff. I'd do it. The have alot of tunes that are better than the "known" ones. I grew up hearing folks call them an over gloriifed garage band and Davev Minniketti just a poor mans Sammy Hagar. They both have similar vocal styles and sound but Dave rips it up much more than Sammy ever did and is more melodic. Though I might give Sammy an edge in the songwriting dept.
Back to top Go down

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 6:42 pm

One of my favorite bands. I have all their stuff on CD. Dave Meniketti is one of the most underrated musicians ever.

James,
I'm not sure where you live, but they are on tour right now in the
southwest. If you are one of the many from that area they are playing in
Santa Fe on the 30th of this month. I would die to see them.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 8:17 pm

I loved MEAN STREAK.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 8:23 pm

I absolutely love these guys and own everything on CD and Casette (except for the first 2). Their DVD is awesome, one hell of a show. I got hooked on them back in '85 when I first heard Summertime Girls and DM's pattented "whooooaaahh". Phenomenal band.

https://heartofmetal.niceboard.com/heart-of-metal-f1/yt-unearthed-volume-1-t1696.htm?highlight=unearthed
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 8:42 pm

spectrefate wrote:
One of my favorite bands. I have all their stuff on CD. Dave Meniketti is one of the most underrated musicians ever.

James,
I'm not sure where you live, but they are on tour right now in the
southwest. If you are one of the many from that area they are playing in
Santa Fe on the 30th of this month. I would die to see them.

I live just a lil north of Sacramento, Calif. I saw them in Modesto, Calif. at the X fest. Saw Candlebox as well.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSat Aug 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Great band. I started with Ten last year and have since been able to get my hands on most of their albums. I really missed the boat by not checking them out sooner.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 7:54 am

I like em up til Mean Streak, maybe '78 to '83 was their prime years. After that they kinda went from hard rock/metal to poser rock/glam. I cant stand "Summertime Girls". Gimme songs like "Open Fire" and "Mean Streak" any day.
Back to top Go down

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeSun Aug 03, 2008 12:36 pm

I lost them at Mean Streak but I loved them up until then.
They put out two really good releases again in the 90's.Musically Incorrect in '95 and Endangered Species in '97. In fact, I think I need to go break them out right now.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 2:26 am

Their classic 80's stuff was better I admit, but I've got a real fondness for the two Yesterday and Today albums from the late 70's.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeTue Aug 05, 2008 9:55 am

I liked their earlier, more metal stuff. When they strarted going in the poppier, hard rock direction (Summertime Girls? sick ), I lost interest.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 4:30 pm

Y &T great live band and I don't believe any of their studio albums came close to capturing what they really sounded like, my favs by them are Black Tiger ( that I spent way too much money for on cd) and Mean Streak which have on crappy vinyl, if any of you don't own Yesterday and Today Live cd put out by metal blades record, you should grab it, it is an excellent overview of a band who's career derailed by the record label's stupid idea to try market them like a poorman's Bon Jovi going as far as to have them work with outside song writers on that horrible album " Contagious", I don't mind pop/hair metal if they are not forced to go that route, that being said, great band who were dealt a bad hand.
Back to top Go down

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 4:34 pm

I happen to love the Contagious album, but then its the album that got me into the group. I can understand why it is disliked. But In Rock We Trust is more light on its feet than Contagious, IMO.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 4:47 pm

Spectrefate reading your message concerning the comment I made on "Contagious" it shows how much memories can play on what particular album or era of a band one prefers, I may have to agree that In God We Trust is more light weight than Contagious, it has been a long time since I gave "Contagious" a spin, but I love IN Rock We Trust, since that happen the first Y&T I ever purchased.
Back to top Go down

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeWed Aug 06, 2008 4:50 pm

Oh yeah. Most of my collection hinges on the whole nostagia factor. Laughing

I never had seen any videos from the Contagious album until a few years ago. Seeing how the band was in the early 80's and now and then seeing them with teased hair and makeup on the Contagious album, it was a wake up call as to how much image was worth back in the mid to late 80's.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitimeThu Aug 07, 2008 9:38 am

I like this band, I picked up Mean Streak back in the day because it had a cool cover. Went home and played it and decided to go out and get all the rest of their albums. Good stuff, saw them live on the Down For The Count tour with Ratt and I think Twisted Sister. Must have been back in 84 or 85, guess it's been a while now. Good show but Dave was a bit full of himself.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Y and T Empty
PostSubject: Re: Y and T   Y and T Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Y and T
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: