Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?

Go down 
+6
Orion Crystal Ice
skullsmasher
Fat Freddy
mc666
Stender
spiritoradio
10 posters
AuthorMessage
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Empty
PostSubject: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:36 pm

I used to collect comics when I was younger, but after seeing Batman Begins and The Dark Knight I've been getting back into them. I'm more of a Marvel guy, but I do like the occasional DC comic. Anyone here enjoy the world of superheros and supervillains?

Fav. "superhero": The Punisher
Fav. supervillain: Venom
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:39 pm

Uhh...yeah. Smile I'm DC. There has never been a Marvel title I've enjoyed. Bt they can make the occasional good movie.

My favorites are:

Catwoman (which they just cancelled, the bastards!)
The Spectre
Dr. Fate
Grendel
Razor
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:42 pm

When did they cancel Catwoman?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:44 pm

August is the last issue. *sigh* It's OK. They cancelled her before back in 1998, so I think they will retool the book and start producing it again in a couple of years.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm

That sucks, hopefully it will come back soon.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 8:08 pm

I dont read comic books that much anymore but I think my favorate hero was either Deadpool or when Dick Grayson was Robin, and my favorate villain is Venom. My favorate antihero is Jonah Hex.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 8:46 pm

i have hundreds of Archie & TMNT comic books

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm retired now but was a total comic book geek for much of the 80s and into the 90s. I have sold off most of my collection but hung onto a few hundred favorites.
Some of the stuff I loved back in the day: anything with Spider-Man in it, Superman, Teen Titans, Punisher, TMNT, the 1940s-50s Disney Duck books (Donald Duck, Uncle Scrooge, etc.) written/drawn by Carl Barks (aka the Master), the Freak Brothers, Cherry Poptart, and literally zillions of others.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeFri Jul 25, 2008 9:45 pm

spectrefate wrote:

The Spectre

Dr. Fate

Coincidence? I think not.
Back to top Go down
skullsmasher
Metal master
Metal master
skullsmasher

Number of posts : 638

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 3:37 pm

I used to collect Conan the Barbarian, Savage Sword of Conan, The Nam, The Warlord, Groo The Wanderer, Ralf Snart. My collecting was from the mid 70's to the early 90's. Still have most of them. Tons of old guitar magazines too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37645

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeSun Jul 27, 2008 7:51 pm

skullsmasher wrote:
Ralf Snart.

Bwahahahahaha, Ralph Snart RULED. I LOVED that book... I was beginning to think that I was the only one!!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

Number of posts : 4201

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 4:47 am

Yes. Marvel fan..Favorites:

Moon Knight...probably my favorite character overall...the early run and the newest set of arcs from 2006-on are some of the best comics around, period. 'Fist of Khonshu' is doodoo though. 'Marc Spector: Moon Knight' was quite good.

Quasar....Wendell Vaughan that is...

Ghost Rider 2099...my favorite of the 2099 line..

Dr Strange: Sorcerer Supreme

Captain Britain (Alan Moore run), Excalibur (not New Excalibur), Captain Britain and MI13

Spider Woman... anytime..anywhere.

All things cosmic and Annihilation related (especially great for those who may need to catch up)...the Surfer, Galactus, Nova, Quasar (as previously mentioned), Ronan, Adam Warlock, Star-Lord, Star Hawk, Thanos, the Supreme Intelligence....Wraith..etc

Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Moon-knight-20060518011213210-000

Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? 1044561586_small

Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Mkprof

in tribute Cool
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:06 am

Welcome OCI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeMon Jul 28, 2008 5:08 am

thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 10:15 pm

Yeah, I'm really big into comics. But... Due to financial reasons, I just cut out all my monthlies. I'm going the trade paperback route instead of letting my pull list at the comic shop grow by leaps and bounds when I can't get down there. The amount of titles I want to read, I just can't afford to buy every issue, so I'll just buy'em as they're collected.

I haven't read any new comics in probably over 2 months, but my recent faves were JLA, JSA, Booster Gold, Green Arrow/Black Canary, Incredible Hercules and New Avengers. Fables & Y: The Last Man are two my favorite series ever, but I've only collected them in trade format.

This past week, while on vacation, I picked up Showcase Presents Batman & the Outsiders Volume 1, Essential X-Men Volume 7, Essential Avengers Volume 6 and Avengers - Operation: Galactic Storm Volume 1 ($ 5 brand new!). I love the Showcase/Essential trades. GREAT books for a GREAT deal, I'm in the middle of Showcase Booster Gold right now which I bought a while back.

I'm definitely a big DC fan and not so much for Marvel.

Last edited by Metal Misfit on Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 pm

Trade Paperbacks are the way to go, I think. The excitement of collecting a monthly has passed. I am into instant gratification now and like being able to read an entire storyline at once.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:10 pm

Has anyone read the Marvel: Civil War storyline? It looks fantastic, the story is just a cool idea and it leads up to the death of Captain America, which if your a marvel fan that's a big wow! When I get paid this Thursday I think I'm going to start this long TPB series.
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeTue Jul 29, 2008 11:15 pm

spiritoradio wrote:
Has anyone read the Marvel: Civil War storyline? It looks fantastic, the story is just a cool idea and it leads up to the death of Captain America, which if your a marvel fan that's a big wow! When I get paid this Thursday I think I'm going to start this long TPB series.

Yep, I read it as it came out. Pretty good, but the ending was HUGE letdown. It's not so long, only 7 issue from the main mini-series. There's a bunch of other junk out there that's been collected and put under the "Civil War" title, so be careful.

I think you really just need the main series, I've heard the rest of the one-shots and spinoff minis were pretty poorly written and put together.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 12:12 am

It's understandable if people can't afford to buy the monthly, but at the same time, how do we think the vote goes to make a TPB out of it.......stuff like Spidey sells itself... but I would try to bring support to all the smaller gems when possible, otherwise they may not keep going at all.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:24 am

I used to be way into comics, but when they started doing all the foil covers and you needed to buy 4 or 5 different comics to follow the story line, I lost interest. I still pick up a graphic novel from time to time if I see something cool in Barnes & Noble, but I'm way outta the loop as far as characters and story-lines go.
Back to top Go down
UltraMagnus007
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
UltraMagnus007

Number of posts : 282

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 3:17 pm

Love comics but these days I prfer to collect graphic novels mainly due the time it takes to keep up with collecting and reading comics.

Always been a major DC fan, although IMO Marvel have a far larger and in some cases better roster of Heroes/Villains. Apart from my fav characters being Batman & Superman I always found the DC stories attracted better writers and artists. I have read civil war and thought it was pretty good but DC started a similar thing back in the eighties with Crisis on Infinite earths. You can get this whole story in Graphic novel form and it's essential reading because a few year ago the did a sequal called identity crisis and then infinate crisis. Infinite crisis came in a series of mini graphic novels leading up to the main event which from the sounds of it will have another sequel very soon. The overal story (without giving the story away to those who don't know) involved pretty much every DC charachter ever and gave a lot of limelight to lesser known charachters which for me really showed some of these characters in a new light and created some new fav characters for me. During infinite crisis their was even a whole story featuring a superb clash between Captain Marvel (Now just Shazam) against Superman.
Back to top Go down
Orion Crystal Ice
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Orion Crystal Ice

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 4:22 pm

I like a few DC characters a lot - Green Lantern (Hal and Stewart) and Firestorm are great examples.... but mainly I think the DC universe just doesn't have characters as good as Marvel does. I think a lot of what they have should have been revamped or shelved a long time ago and some new creativity brought in. There's just sort of been too much reliance on Golden Age styled characters that insist upon themselves in their gimmick or traits, in a lot of much too obvious sort of ways, like Mr. Freeze for one good example. His name is Fries (pronounced 'freeze'..coincidence? :p ). He was involved in cryogenics. He has a 'cold' heart.......etc....etc..... that sort of thing is just rampant. Some of it is OK on it's own for what it is, but as they decided to try and bring more drama and seriousness to a lot of characters who are forever typecast as fun predicable comic book junk, it just felt hamfisted to me most of the time. Of course, there has been really good stuff with nothing to do with any of the Earths published under DC, like Alan Moore's stuff.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeWed Jul 30, 2008 10:03 pm

Orion Crystal Ice wrote:
It's understandable if people can't afford to buy the monthly, but at the same time, how do we think the vote goes to make a TPB out of it.......stuff like Spidey sells itself... but I would try to bring support to all the smaller gems when possible, otherwise they may not keep going at all.

I read in Wizard a few years ago that Marvel sent way too many issues of comics to stores in the 90's, that they lost a lot of money because no one was buying that many. So they decided to only send out a few copies of each title each week for 1. to save on there cost of printing and 2. to make them more collectible. Create demand I guess is the easiest way. They did say that if you miss some important issues that eventually they will be reprinted into TBPs. I don't think that DC does things this way, but I don't know.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitimeMon Aug 04, 2008 4:19 pm

I just started reading the Watchmen TPB. Hoping to finish it before the movie comes out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?   Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Comic Book/Graphic Novel Fans Here?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: