Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Empty
PostSubject: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 9:57 am

Im sure I started a thread on thse guys beofer...but it was a looooong time ago, so I start anew.

I also know I have turned a few peeps onto the since so maybe there will be some actual input into this thread by someone other than I.

THOUGHT INDUSTRY hailed from the wilds of Kalamazoo, MI. Somewhere along the late 80's, while still in high school a band (then known as DESECRATOR) were playing an odd amalgram of thrash and progressive with ferocious punk tinges...

In 1989 they impessed a fellow named JASON NEWSTEAD who was visiting family in town and caught one of their performances...he went home and bragged them up to Metal Blade who then commanded a demo (which if you can ever find contains a great cover of RUSH's "Red Barchetta")

They got a deal and in 1992 unleashed "Songs For Insects"
A balls out onslaught of killer thrash with the plunkist bass this side of PRIMUS...with screamy punkish vocals, abstract lyrucs and just killer drumming...this was so wild it was almost painful....

this was followed in 1993 with "Mods Carve The Pig: Assassins, Toads & God's Flesh"..and this ride was wilder still...the music more chaotic, the lyrics more cryptic...I loved it...

1995 gave us "Outer Space Is Just A Martini Away",which was an ominous beginning of the end of sorts...The sound was stripping down...there was more experimentation with ambience and members were leaving and new ones coming on...

1997 "Black Umbrella"...mellower still, almost goth at times...
Not very heavy at all...Brent Oberlin was the sole remaining original member...

1998 gave us the "odds and sods" collection "Recruited To Do Good Deeds For the Devil"

2001 we get "Short Wave On A Cold Day" which is at best an emo tinged exercise in alternative hard pop...

While I like all the albums this is a band that started strong and withered away to near nothing. They were so good in the beginning but so hard to pin down that I believe it worked against them...in essence the creature starved to death in a fully stocked pantry...

Check out some of their stuff...comment if you will...

http://www.myspace.com/thoughtindustry2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF4G7tqs6yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWqasZqDY0Y

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:01 am

That song "the chalice vermillion" sounds right up my alley. I was always curious about these guys but never delve any deeper. That early stuff sounds killer. Your description of the later stuff sounds pretty homosexual in nature. Smile
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:04 am

I like it all, but then I was onboard from the beginning so it seemed slight changes almost evolutionary...not a sudden "WTF the went from SLAYER to PET SHOP BOYS in an album" sort of thing...

The production on some of the youtube footage is rough but still...

You can get all their stuff for cheap....and I think you'd probably like most of it...even the fey stuff....

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:05 am

I've seen their stuff used. I just gotta remember where. Smile
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:09 am

Figures. I only have the fey one.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:10 am

What? 'Short Wave", I mean it's good for what it is, it just is not the same as their roots...

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:13 am

Too weird for my tastes. I have a few discs of theirs for trade if someone is interested.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:17 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Too weird for my tastes. I have a few discs of theirs for trade if someone is interested.

Maybe this is where I saw them used. Smile
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:22 am

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Maybe this is where I saw them used. Smile

Probably. I've been trying to unload those turds for awhile now. And if anyone reading this is thinking of trading for them, I mean "turds" in the most positive fashion. They're awesome!! Way better than you can even imagine.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 10:26 am

They are a bit weird...But the first 2 especially are quite good...I think.

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitimeThu Jul 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Shiney wrote:
I like it all, but then I was onboard from the beginning so it seemed slight changes almost evolutionary...not a sudden "WTF the went from SLAYER to PET SHOP BOYS in an album" sort of thing...

The production on some of the youtube footage is rough but still...

You can get all their stuff for cheap....and I think you'd probably like most of it...even the fey stuff....
It took me a while to get into the two you sent me, so I think you're probably right. They're fairly unique...and weird. Definitely good, but I had this idea that they were progressive in the "normal" sense. Totally inaccurate. Their later albums were probably before their time, because that sort of thing is big with the Hot Topic kids these days.

I do like them, though. Hoping to snag some earlier albums soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)   THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

THOUGHT INDUSTRY (Redux)
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: