Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Smack

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 6:26 am

smack - Smack Smackonyouorig400

This band is quite possibly thee definitive Glam Trash Punk Metal Rock N' Roll band, more so then even primo early Guns N' Roses.

A Finnish band that followed in the cuban-heeled footsteps of Hanoi Rocks in the mid 80's.

But a more overtly grittier and caustic proposition to Hanoi's sunny sound, even compare the names to get a better picture. Hanoi Rocks's being a thinly veiled reference to heroin while Smack's name being upfront and in your face.

Their sound is like Green River grunge but a couple of years earlier and more flashier and metallic owing alot to the Doors, The Stooges, Dead Boys, MC5, Alice Cooper etc. With an at times world music flavour ala Brian Jones's little touches to mid-60's Rolling Stones songs and a Jim Morrison rock n' roll poetic side to the songwriting.

A bunch of real gutter cats and society's misfits that influenced everyone from Guns N' Roses (Axl Rose particuarly enamoured with singer Claude) to Nirvana (Nirvana covered their song 'Run Rabbit Run' live), Disneyland After Dark to Warrior Soul and tons of others.

.....But are so amazingly unknown.

Their debut On You (1984) is one of the most essential Hard Rock/Metal/Punk/Rock N' Roll albums of the 80's.

Check 'em out.

http://www.myspace.com/smackonyou

Smack - Criminal live 1984

Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 8:21 pm

fantastic band....Thats all I can say...

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 8:28 pm

Never heard of them. Essential, eh?
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 1:18 am

Damn right.

If i could describe them in the most simplest of terms, their like Green River in the image of early Guns N' Roses playing early Guns N' Roses. If that makes sense. But before any of those bands.

It's amazing how unknown they are. Their a big influence on two of the biggest rock bands of the last 20 years being Nirvana and Guns N' Roses.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 1:23 am

I like Green River, I'll give em a try sometime.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2008 1:31 am

Stender wrote:
I like Green River, I'll give em a try sometime.

Here's a myspace link

http://www.myspace.com/smackonyou
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 3:38 pm

Quote :
(Axl Rose particuarly enamoured with singer Claude

Quote :
Their a big influence on two of the biggest rock bands of the last 20 years being Nirvana and Guns N' Roses

Not to be a dick here, Rattpoison, but where do you get this info from? Are you just speculating because of their look/sound or do you have some frame of reference?

While I may not be the be-all-end-all-fan-boy, I'd considder myself a pretty big GnR fan. And of any books, magazine articles or interviews I've come across over the years, I don't recall any mention of this "essential" band or their enamoured singer.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 5:15 pm

I remember him namechecking them in an old RIP interview....that's actually what made me jot their name down as a "I need to track these guys down" act at the time...

Metal master
Metal master
Sword Of The Heretic

Number of posts : 605

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 5:50 pm

Liked the song. I LMAO'd at the kid in the crowd from 0:45 to 0:52 fighting the ninjas, and I also wondered how many pillows they used up by the end of the song.

Still good.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 12:12 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Quote :
(Axl Rose particuarly enamoured with singer Claude

Quote :
Their a big influence on two of the biggest rock bands of the last 20 years being Nirvana and Guns N' Roses

Not to be a dick here, Rattpoison, but where do you get this info from? Are you just speculating because of their look/sound or do you have some frame of reference?

While I may not be the be-all-end-all-fan-boy, I'd considder myself a pretty big GnR fan. And of any books, magazine articles or interviews I've come across over the years, I don't recall any mention of this "essential" band or their enamoured singer.

That's cool, i read and collect alot of old RIP, Kerrang and other music magazine's from back in the day. Izzy Stradlin called them his favourite band at the time and Axl and Slash namecheck them then i get the impression their quite influenced by them, the guys obviously had an eye towards Finland after Hanoi Rocks drew attention to that part of the world. Guns N' Roses were definately drawn to Smack's gritty street appeal and outsider/misfit status. Claude was basically the proto Axl more in attitude and image then voice (Claude's Stiv Bators snarl being different to Axl's Dan McCafferty screech)

Plus Kurt Cobain talked about them in an interview i read and Nirvana of course covered their song "Run Rabbit Run" live quite a few times inbetween their covers of Led Zeppelin songs in the early days of that band.

I've also read interviews were the guys in Disneyland After Dark and Alice In Chains have mentioned them in interviews.

One i will speculate on is that i'd be pretty sure if you ask the guys in Green River/Mudhoney/Mother Love Bone they would confirm my thoughts about Smack. Infact Smack might have been one of the few bands the two splintered groups in Green River might have been both able to agree on. Which says exactly were Smack's sound lies.

Their influence is steady and quite under recognised. A band that sadly slipped through the cracks. Their first 2 records and live record are essential pieces of shrapnel from the 80's. The real thing.

Claude backed by the 69 Eyes performing 'Run Rabbit Run'

Last edited by rattpoison on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:23 am

Fair enough. Just askin'.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 10:23 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fair enough. Just askin'.

That's fine.

Give their first couple of albums a go, their one of those "Dead, Jail Or Rock N' Roll" type bands. The real deal.

Fun fact, when Smack moved to Los Angeles in '88 Sami Yaffa then with JetBoy played a few shows with them on bass. But so the guys in JetBoy wouldn't know of his involvement he went under the name Ulan Bator (The name of the capital city of Mongolia).

...Stop me now their like one of my favourite bands.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

smack - Smack Empty
PostSubject: Re: Smack   smack - Smack Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Smack
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: