Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NOW AND THEN

Go down 
+8
Stender
SAHB Healer
scottmitchell74
XYZ
Olafsto
Thrasher73
ultmetal
MetalRob331
12 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:19 pm

What band(s) do you prefer better now, over say when they first came out, or what band(s) have lost your interest now then when they first came out?
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Lost interest:
Blind Guardian (not sure why)

Stratorvarius (again, not sure why)

death metal in general. (loved it in the 90's. Just don't care for it much anymore. Still listen to some of the old stuff on occasion.)

most metalcore (thought it was alright when I first heard it, but now that there are hundreds upon hundreds of clone bands with identical singers, I've grown disinterested.)

Gained interest:
Slaughter (hated them at first, till I saw them in 1999 w/ Ted Nugent & Quiet Riot and was impressed. Discovered my dislike was based more on what others said about them than the band themselves. Odd since I always like Vinnie Vincent Invasion)

Doooooom (never was a huge fan, although I always like it. Just seems to appeal to me more now than ever.)

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:52 pm

Trouble - Used to be my 2nd favorite band. Simple Mind Condition and burnout changed all that. I can't hack them anymore.

Pink Floyd & Genesis- Always hated them, now they are 2 of my favorite bands. I just sat down and listened to them closely. Smile

Megadeth - Used to be my favorite band in 1988. Can't listen to them past So Far So Good. I respect them though (kinda)

Ozzy-led Sabbath - Burnout and my ever growing dislike of Ozzy has tainted this band for me forever. Never again, I say!

Emperor - What I once thought was noise is now pure sugar to my ears. I love them. Smile
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:53 pm

Bands that I like better now:
Running Wild

Band that I lost interest in:
Living Sacrifice
Metallica
Blind Guardian
Back to top Go down

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 2:56 pm

thrasher73 wrote:

Metallica

Sadly, I think that's a given for most of us. I compare Metallica to your best buddy in high school who sobered up and got a "real job", and now is too cool to go out and party every once in awhile. Oh yeah and the guy has a mental illness now. He tries to be cool, but just fails miserably because he is too self absorbed.
Back to top Go down

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:01 pm

I love Helloween's Deris-era stuff way more than the earlier albums.

I used to hate prog and death metal, now I like quite a bit of it, especially prog.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:04 pm

A few bands that i like there newer catalog over the old are:

Overkill - I like the more groove oriented straight up metal then there early thrash albums even though they are great.

Evergrey - One of my favorite bands but there first release The Dark Discovery never got me, the 2nd release SDT didnt grab me either, but after that they just put out masterpieces.

The Showdown - First cd was metal/death/core and then they followed with one of the biggest changes in metal history and just put out a great pure metal masterpiece..
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:08 pm

spectrefate wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:

Metallica

Sadly, I think that's a given for most of us. I compare Metallica to your best buddy in high school who sobered up and got a "real job", and now is too cool to go out and party every once in awhile. Oh yeah and the guy has a mental illness now. He tries to be cool, but just fails miserably because he is too self absorbed.

Pretty good Analogy there Spec.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:27 pm

I guess I`m alone, but I prefer the first Helloween albums with Kai Hansen singing..
Wuthering Heights are ten times better now with Nils Patrik Johansson.
Belladonna era Anthrax slays Bush era...
And of course Metallica......
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:27 pm

Olafsto wrote:
I guess I`m alone, but I prefer the first Helloween albums with Kai Hansen singing..
Belladonna era Anthrax slays Bush era...
And of course Metallica......

Olaf very wise man say me.
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:28 pm

I use to hate Genesis, but then I decided to give them on last shot by listening to Selling England By the Pound. I was hooked from then on.

I also use to hate Van Hagar, but I've really grown to like Sammy. He still sucks compared to Dave, but I think that's normal.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 3:52 pm

Even though i respect the band for moving on and thank god they still put out good quality music Lynyrd Skynyrd's first 3 releases blow anything away that they have done the last 20 years....
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:25 pm

Lost interest:

Six Feet Deep

The Crucified

Strongarm

Pantera

Ark Angel

King's X

Galactic Cowboys

Black Label Society

Gained Interest:

Slaughter

Ultimatum

Twisted Sister

Quiet Riot
Back to top Go down

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:38 pm

Quote :
Overkill - I like the more groove oriented straight up metal then there early thrash albums even though they are great.

Whoa, i'm not the only one who thinks that? Cool.

I like the middle Rage better then the first stuff though it's all good.
Back to top Go down

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I was obsessed with Guns'n'Roses from fall 2004 to fall 2005. AC/DC was still my favourite band, but I listened to G'n'R 24/7.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:14 pm

I also like the newer Rage then the speed metal type Rage...
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:46 pm

Like Ult, I was really into Stratovarious at one time, but they got old. Blind Guardian I never did get into. I think a lot of the recent metal bands are like this, they are great but you only need a couple of albums to get your fill of them. I do anyway.
As far as learning to like stuff, that's really what keeps me going. Just this week I pulled out a CD by the old Krautrock band "Eloy" (Floating); that I had shelved as boring Hawkwind wannabes. For some reason now I learned to really like the thing, I think my attention span is up to it when it wasn't before. Nothing bettter than finding something on your own shelves!!
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 6:49 pm

Living Sacrifice and Hammerfall, actually powermetal and metalcore in general, I know weird combo but I used to play the tar out of those two back in 2004, but dont really get that many spins nowadays. Probably because of my oldschool thrash awakening earlier this year.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 7:42 pm

tourniquet & megadeth used to be the bomb... now they just blow.

jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeWed Jun 18, 2008 8:35 pm

I never really gave W.A.S.P. a chance back in the eighties. I figured they were all shlock and shock based on all the controversial things. Not long ago for some reason I decided I needed to finally give it a real listen. Wished I'd done so sooner - completely love most of their stuff.

Obituary would be another one that I really never paid any attention to, but today am really into.

Motley Crue (esp. Theatre Of Pain, Girls, Girls, Girls era) is one that I've lost a lot of interest in.
Back to top Go down

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 11:18 am

Lost interest:

Slaughter - I loved them back in the day after seeing them live in 90. Then lost interest in them, only to regain interest after seeing them live this year.

Metallica, of course.

gained:

Deliverance
Saxon
Vain
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 11:25 am

I've lost interest in allot of the hair/glam metal stuff I used to listen to back in the day. Mostly due to over-play probably. Also, allot of it seems sorta cheesy and immature to me nowadays. I'll still pop in some Cinderella or Faster Pu$$ycat when I'm in the mood, but most of the tapes that I sold off I have no intention of upgrading to cd.

I've really gotten more into thrash over the last few years. Before, I really only listened to the Big 4 (and even then, not much Slayer). Now, I can't get enough of that stuff.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

NOW AND THEN Empty
PostSubject: Re: NOW AND THEN   NOW AND THEN Icon_minitimeThu Jun 19, 2008 11:57 am

Gained Interest:
Genesis (bought first two box sets, cant wait for the third one)
Queen
Motorhead
Gotthard
Tarot
The Police (didnt like them til I saw them at the reunion show)
Magnum
Danzig
Mob Rules
Thin Lizzy
Alice Cooper

Lost Interest:
Def Leppard
AC/DC
Stratovarius
Guns N Roses
Rhapsody
Pantera