Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paul Gilbert

Go down 
+3
James B.
Troublezone
MetalGuy71
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 12:18 pm

The guitarists thread in the Metal room made me think of Paul.

If you haven't checked out Paul's solo career, you need to. He writes/sings pop-hook songs with wicked guitar playing embedded in them. Hard-edged Guitar Pop w/ shred...what's not to love?

Here's a link to his Discography:

Paul Gilbert Discography

Paul Gilbert Gilbert
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 12:24 pm

Big fan here. Saw him live on the G3 tour last year. Love practically everything I've heard from him, with the exception of Mr. Big. His solo stuff (pop) is way different than what he does in Racer X (metal), but equally good.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 12:27 pm

I liked Mr. Big because they would hold back in terms of songs arrangements, but when they'd do a transition or a solo, their chops would come out.

Plus, even in the Mr. Big context, Paul still did a LOT of interesting guitar stuff...like intros and off-kilter solos. Even the solo in "To Be With You" is sort of weird...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 1:11 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I liked Mr. Big because they would hold back in terms of songs arrangements, but when they'd do a transition or a solo, their chops would come out.

Plus, even in the Mr. Big context, Paul still did a LOT of interesting guitar stuff...like intros and off-kilter solos. Even the solo in "To Be With You" is sort of weird...

As I had mentioned in that Mr. Big bashing thread, I tried to listen to these guys and on paper (Paul, Billy Sheehan) they sound great, but nothing really clicked with me. I thought Paul was held back (other than a few choice songs/solos), either by his own or the other members. The Paul Gilbert in Racer X is not the same Paul Gilbert in Mr. Big or even the Paul Gilbert solo material. 3 bands, 3 similiar, but different styles.

Have you heard him in Yellow Matter Custard, the Beatles tribute band, also featuring Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and 2 other guys whose names escape me at the moment? For he most part, he sticks pretty close to the original material, but on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", he gets a chance to show off and it's awesome.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 1:38 pm

Quote :
Have you heard him in Yellow Matter Custard, the Beatles tribute band, also featuring Mike Portnoy from Dream Theater and 2 other guys whose names escape me at the moment? For he most part, he sticks pretty close to the original material, but on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps", he gets a chance to show off and it's awesome.

YES!! Paul, Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy and Matt Bissonette...fantastic live album!!!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:13 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Quote :

YES!! Paul, Neal Morse, Mike Portnoy and Matt Bissonette...fantastic live album!!!!

I've heard that those guys, along with Gary Cherone, also put out a similiar cd/dvd, in tribute to The Who, but I haven't heard it. I'd like to though.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:21 pm

I think The Who tribute is Portnoy, Cherone, Billy Sheehan & Gilbert...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17068

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:22 pm

Paul's one of my favs!! He doesn't normally get the recognition he deserves. Street Lethal is brillant!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
I think The Who tribute is Portnoy, Cherone, Billy Sheehan & Gilbert...

You're probably right. I wasn't 100% sure of the line-up, other than Gilbert, Portnoy & Cherone. I just guessed it was the other guys as well.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:32 pm

The Beatles tribute was supposed to be Morse, Portnoy, Bissonette and Ty Tabor...but scheduling conflicts prevented Tabor from taking part and Gilbert was brought in...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:34 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
The Beatles tribute was supposed to be Morse, Portnoy, Bissonette and Ty Tabor...but scheduling conflicts prevented Tabor from taking part and Gilbert was brought in...

Wow. That's interesting. I never knew that. If I remember correctly, that show was a one-time only sorta thing, right? It's not something they do on a regular basis, is it?
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:38 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

Wow. That's interesting. I never knew that. If I remember correctly, that show was a one-time only sorta thing, right? It's not something they do on a regular basis, is it?

No, it was a one-off, two-night deal...they don't travel with it. I think there may even be a DVD...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:50 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:

No, it was a one-off, two-night deal...they don't travel with it. I think there may even be a DVD...

That's what I thought. And yea, there is a dvd of the show, but I'm only interested in the cd. I got mine on ebay, but I believe Portnoy sells them through his website along with the Dream Theater "full-album" covers (Maiden, Metallica, Pink Floyd) that they've done.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12604

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 7:53 pm

I like the work he added to Darrell Mansfield's "revelation" lp
tasty stuff w'out being too over the top
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:17 am

James B. wrote:
I like the work he added to Darrell Mansfield's "revelation" lp
tasty stuff w'out being too over the top

Care to elaborate a bit? Who is Darrell Mansfield?
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:21 am

Back in 1986, Paul Gilbert did a guest solo on Darrell Mansfield Band's album "Revelation"....he was/is a Christian Rock artist...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 9:24 am

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
Back in 1986, Paul Gilbert did a guest solo on Darrell Mansfield Band's album "Revelation"....he was/is a Christian Rock artist...

Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeFri Jun 13, 2008 1:37 pm

Revelation was and is a great album, but the two songs Paul Gilbert plays on are fan-freakin'-tastic! 🤘
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 6:27 am

Im not a huge fan of his pop stuff at all but I like his instrumenatl work. he is a brilliant guitarist.
Back to top Go down
zombiewalkin
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
zombiewalkin

Number of posts : 292

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:00 pm

Paul is a fav of mine! The only reason to spin a Mr. Big cd.......well him and Sheehan.......but those are the only two reasons.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:14 pm

zombiewalkin wrote:
Paul is a fav of mine! The only reason to spin a Mr. Big cd.......well him and Sheehan.......but those are the only two reasons.

Eric Martin is a great singer and Pat Torpey is an amazing drummer...
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 pm

Shawn Of Fire wrote:
zombiewalkin wrote:

Are you gonna start this again? If you turn this into some kind of Mr. Big love-fest, I'm outta here. Paul Gilbert 288219
Back to top Go down
Mattallica667
Metal novice
Metal novice
Mattallica667

Number of posts : 89

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:07 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Big fan here. Saw him live on the G3 tour last year. Love practically everything I've heard from him, with the exception of Mr. Big. His solo stuff (pop) is way different than what he does in Racer X (metal), but equally good.
Wait, isn't G3 Satriani, Yngwie, and Vai?
But whatever, I love Paul Gibert. Especially B.R.O. Listen to that song if you haven't heard it yet.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:13 pm

Mattallica667 wrote:

One short tour was. Satriani has had some different players on that tour over the years.
Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitimeMon Jun 16, 2008 1:13 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Shawn Of Fire wrote:
zombiewalkin wrote:

Are you gonna start this again? If you turn this into some kind of Mr. Big love-fest, I'm outta here. Paul Gilbert 288219

I'm just sayin'...

Quote :

G3 has had Vai & Satch with a rotating 3rd artist every year...Yngwie, Petrucci, Gilbert & Eric Johnson have all toured the G3 Tour...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paul Gilbert Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paul Gilbert   Paul Gilbert Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paul Gilbert
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next