Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Attention Savatage Fans!

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
A Handful of Wayne
Thrasher73
Troublezone
Tall Tyrion
Temple of Blood
10 posters
AuthorMessage

Attention Savatage Fans! Empty
PostSubject: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 am

This isn't a joke thread, I would really like to know.

Ok so he was pretty good and I respect his legacy, but what makes Criss Oliva such a popular guitarist after his death? He sure wasn't being praised much when he was alive, other than maybe at your house.

What was it that he did when he was alive that Chris Caffrey didn't duplicate after his death?

Last edited by spectrefate on Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:28 am

Write great songs and have style.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:29 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Did Criss write alot of the songs, or was Jon the primary songwriter? How was his style different than the other guitarists of the time?
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:55 am

For me, he just played things in such a way that he created his own distinctive style. It wasn't that he was faster or more technical than other players, although he certainly had the chops. It was just an emotive, expressive playing style that was unique to me.

And his premature death probably has something to do with it as well. He was gone far too soon. Jon's making the continuation of Savatage his legacy to Criss probably factors into it as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 9:57 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
For me, he just played things in such a way that he created his own distinctive style. It wasn't that he was faster or more technical than other players, although he certainly had the chops. It was just an emotive, expressive playing style that was unique to me.

And his premature death probably has something to do with it as well. He was gone far too soon. Jon's making the continuation of Savatage his legacy to Criss probably factors into it as well.

Agreed on all points.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:04 am

Temple of Blood wrote:

Exactly! I'm surprised you can't hear the difference. scratch
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:05 am

He was a great guitarist but I think his untimely death makes him seem so much more special.And by that I mean you realize what he was and wish he could still be here.
Back to top Go down
A Handful of Wayne
Metal is Forever
A Handful of Wayne

Number of posts : 7685

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 1:39 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
He was a great guitarist but I think his untimely death makes him seem so much more special.And by that I mean you realize what he was and wish he could still be here.

exactly
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 pm

Quote :

And his premature death probably has something to do with it as well. He was gone far too soon

Quote :
He was a great guitarist but I think his untimely death makes him seem so much more special.And by that I mean you realize what he was and wish he could still be here

That's odd. If I said the same thing about Dimebag Darrell, the floodgates of negativity comes pouring out. I don't mean to hijack this thread. I don't have much of an opinion about Savatage (I like 'em). I'm just reading the responses and thinking how they could apply to Dime. Just my 2 cents. Please don't turn this into a Dime vs. Criss thread as it's pointless. We've all been down that road.

Attention Savatage Fans! 692390:
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:31 pm

No really MG,speak your peace will pretend to listen
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:32 pm

thrasher73 wrote:
No really MG,speak your peace will pretend to listen

That's all I ask. My wife does it all the time.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 2:51 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:

That's odd. If I said the same thing about
Dimebag Darrell, the floodgates of negativity comes pouring out. I
don't mean to hijack this thread. I don't have much of an opinion about
Savatage (I like 'em). I'm just reading the responses and thinking how
they could apply to Dime.

Dime was more of a polarizing figure. Great guitar player, but people
tended to either love him or hate him. With Criss, it's usually "Love
him!" or "Who?" lol!

It's a simple fact that dying young always increases an artist's
reputation. Randy Rhodes, Jimi Hendrix, Kurt Cobain, John Bonham, Janis
Joplin, the list is endless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 3:11 pm

Criss said it best himself. There is no mystery to the way I play, it's hands, heart and soul. Criss had more heart than ten guitar players. That's what makes him special. I remember the thread about what band's music get inside your soul. Savatage was all over that thread.

Quote :
He sure wasn't being praised much when he was alive, other than maybe at your house.

I don't think being praised by a billion people makes somebody great. He is the most underratted guitar player in metal, imo. Nothing wrong with being underrated.

Good posts, Nick.
Back to top Go down
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 3:12 pm

spectrefate wrote:
What makes Criss Oliva such a popular guitarist after his death? He sure wasn't being praised much when he was alive, other than maybe at your house.

What was it that he did when he was alive that Chris Caffrey didn't duplicate after his death?
He's like me...he's a riffah...

Attention Savatage Fans! F3j5kcasrphyicaiykucncasg8
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 4:47 pm

There are only a handful of guitar-players that plays more with their heart and soul than they do with their mind. I don't know how to say it, but Criss and Randy both had that unique skill.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 pm

Spectrefate said...
Quote :

Caffrey surprised me when I last saw 'Tage at a local dive touring for P & M and it was quite kewl. He had the technique down pat, but like others have said...the heart and soul wasn't there. I still applaud the man for honoring his friend. The guitar work on P & M has Criss written all over it in style.
My take on Criss' playing is this... there is something to playing a song written by a close family member. A brotherly bond reflects itself in alot of ways and I believe it shined in the music Jon and Criss created together. My .02

Laterz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 5:44 pm

His choice of notes and vibrato were outstanding!
Back to top Go down
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 12, 2008 10:53 pm

Nah, He hasen't been praised more. My friends don't even pay attention to SAVATAGE. they are missing out this great band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Attention Savatage Fans!   Attention Savatage Fans! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Attention Savatage Fans!
Page 1 of 1