Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell me about Coldplay

Go down 
+9
Tall Tyrion
MetalGuy71
DallasBlack
DeathCult
rattpoison
ultmetal
MetalRob331
tohostudios
scottmitchell74
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Tell me about Coldplay Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 8:35 pm

I read an article about this band in Time just now. What are they like? Why are they so popular and I don't know/am not aware of hearing their material? What am I missing?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 8:37 pm

They suck!

To me, they sound like Dave Matthews Band; they trawl the same waters.

In other words...BLECCCCHHH!

Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 10:03 pm

Horrible band if you ask me. I have heard at least 10 tracks from then and everyone of them didn't last more then 25 seconds on my radio.

To me they sound like Five For Fighting meets Radiohead with tons of pop

I just never seen why they became so popular
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 10:43 pm

tohostudios wrote:
They suck!

Sums it up pretty well if you ask me.

If you watched the Stanley Cup Playoffs, they showed a commercial for them several times each game.

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 11:04 pm

tohostudios wrote:
They suck!

Noooooooo way! They're like Radiohead on OK Computer with a pop-rock sheen (i.e. nowhere near the great Dave Matthews Band).
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 11:06 pm

tohostudios wrote:

They sound nothing like the Dave Matthews Band but they are similar in that they both induce narcolepsy.

They kinda started out like Radiohead lite and have sort of incorporated influence from Echo And The Bunnymen, The Smiths, Kraftwerk with all the boring Arena Rock of U2.

Although this new album their working with Brian Eno and i think it's going to trade in their boring modern soft rock for something a bit more eccentric and weird.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 11:27 pm

They suck
sick
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 07, 2008 11:47 pm

Eyesore wrote:
tohostudios wrote:
They suck!

Noooooooo way! They're like Radiohead on OK Computer with a pop-rock sheen (i.e. nowhere near the great Dave Matthews Band).

Agree with you, def have that Radiohead sound
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 9:09 am

Never heard them (that I know of) and don't have any plans to either.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 9:50 am

I still say the first album sounded like Dave Matthews Band. In fact, the first time I heard "Clocks", I was sure it was another crappy DMB song.

Regardless, I think we have consensus on the sucking part.

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSun Jun 08, 2008 9:58 am

A terrible, awful band!!
Recently, Manchester (home town) got its very own Classic Rock radio station so I was made up about that. Couple of weeks ago they played the new Coldplay single. I was livid about it! I called up the station and completely chewed up the DJ saying that it was a disgrace that they were putting a band like Coldplay in between the likes of Eric Clapton and Rush angry
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:16 am

Never heard 'em, but a girl I worked with was a HUGE fan. The way she described them to me was "They are like U2, but without all the pretentious-ness". I don't know how accurate that description is, but I don't care to find out.

The lead singer was pretty dang funny when he did a guest appearance on the HBO series "Extras". And he's poking Gwyneth Paltrow. So he must have something goin on.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:29 am

That bad, eh?

Thanks everyone!
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:31 am

A friend of mine likes them, so I got an album sent to me on lala. It
had elements of The Beatles and elements of U2, but I think I only
listened to it once. I'm not even sure where it is anymore, honestly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:33 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:

I'm not even sure where it is anymore, honestly.

...remember that day your ran out of toilet paper.......
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 am

Oh yeah...... I won't be hunting for it then.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeMon Jun 09, 2008 4:20 pm

We need to ship Coldplay, along with Nickelback and Simple Plan, into space where their horrible music will bother no one
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 5:20 am

I know how to play "Clocks" on the piano. That's all I know about them.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:11 pm

Metalinmyveins is what I go by on here, but truth be told, I appreciate a lot of other genres of music out there. I don't know enough of you on here to guage if you like much besides that which is metal. That being said, I think people easily pigeon hole themselves when it comes to their taste in music. Frankly, I find it silly when people only listen to one type of music, and for whatever reason aren't able to expand their musical horizons. I guess that I get the sense from those who choose to go that route, that they are somehow turning their backs on a genre if they are actually able to enjoy something that is different.

I like Coldplay, though I'm a little skeptical with their first single that was just released. I think with each album that has gone by, I'm liking them a little less. Do I think it's important that anyone on here like Coldplay? No. I wasn't at all surprised when I saw what I would consider to be the general response from the "Metal" community.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:13 pm

Personally, I find them to be overrated. Not a bad band at all, and I somewhat like that "Viva La Vida" song that's going on the commercials, but I can't understand all this critical adulation that they seem to get.

Dave Matthews > Coldplay
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:21 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Metalinmyveins is what I go by on here, but truth be told, I appreciate a lot of other genres of music out there. I don't know enough of you on here to guage if you like much besides that which is metal. That being said, I think people easily pigeon hole themselves when it comes to their taste in music. Frankly, I find it silly when people only listen to one type of music, and for whatever reason aren't able to expand their musical horizons. I guess that I get the sense from those who choose to go that route, that they are somehow turning their backs on a genre if they are actually able to enjoy something that is different.

I like Coldplay, though I'm a little skeptical with their first single that was just released. I think with each album that has gone by, I'm liking them a little less. Do I think it's important that anyone on here like Coldplay? No. I wasn't at all surprised when I saw what I would consider to be the general response from the "Metal" community.

For me, music I like is all over the genre map. On the alternative side of things, I like Counting Crows, Sugar, Cracker, and lots of 80s "cowpunk". I also love Celtic and Renaissance music. Then there's power pop, punk, industrial, goth, sleaze and glam; all of which I love.

Then there's Coldplay. Who suck.

Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:27 pm

I like their music.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:28 pm

I like to put them on when I'm little constipated. It really loosens the bowels to ingest all that pure pretentious crap.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:29 pm

xyz wrote:
I like their music.

That's cool; I don't rag on people because of music they like just because I don't like it.

What I resent is being labelled a "metalhead elitist" simply because I don't like one of the critics' darlings. I don't like when people pigeonhole me as a "metalhead" (which I'm not) just because I think a non-metal band sucks.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitimeSat Jun 14, 2008 7:31 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I like to put them on when I'm little constipated. It really loosens the bowels to ingest all that pure pretentious crap.

lol!

Bingo! This band is the epitome of pretentiousness.

Well, after the new Nightwish that is...

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about Coldplay   Tell me about Coldplay Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tell me about Coldplay
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next