Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Empty
PostSubject: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 9:05 pm

Anyone watching this? EliteXC has never shown an ability to pull off the feats that the UFC has, but we'll see. This is the first prime time network showing of any MMA event. The UFC walked away from the deal, which says that it'll probably be a bunch of good fighters fighting turds. But it's free! And YouTube legend—haha!—Kimbo Slice is fighting the main event! Laughing

Wow...Frank Shamrock is horrible reading off the teleprompter. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 10:25 pm

Wow! Those chicks are ruthless!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 8:32 am

Thanks for the heads up! I caught the last two fights. Great stuff. They (the grandstanding Doc!!) should have let that middleweight fight continue. What a shame that all that effort was wasted.

Those heavyweights were great to watch. I can't believe how much punishment that Brit withstood and was still standing. I came to a conclusion watching that - these are the toughest athletes on Earth. Amazing. I missed the women, though.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 9:49 am

I thought the women stole the show! Did you see the face of the chick that lost? She was busted up pretty badly; she was really swollen already.

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 11:38 am

tohostudios wrote:
I thought the women stole the show! Did you see the face of the chick that lost? She was busted up pretty badly; she was really swollen already.
Gina Carano is a tough, tough chick. And she was clearly out of shape last night, not fighting nearly as good as normal.

I think they were quick on stoppages last night because it was network TV. Critics slammed even the idea of MMA being on prime time TV, so the bloodier the fights, the more criticism the sport would take. I also have a sneaking suspicion some fighters were holding back some power when throwing punches. Wouldn't shock me, really, considering Gary Shaw (corrupt boxing promoter) owns EliteXC.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 11:57 am

I was reading reviews of this show online and consensus seems to be that this show was both a blessing and a curse for UFC.

It was a blessing because it showed how far inferior EliteXC is to the UFC. But it was a curse because it showcased all the stereotypes of MMA. I must admit, the "WWE-like" atmosphere with the dancing girls, the WWE-style entrances and the over the top commentary sort of made it seem more like a spectacle than a sport.

When I've watched UFC, it seemed much more serious.

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 2:13 pm

This is typical of what I keep reading.

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news?slug=ki-elitexctv060108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 2:15 pm

The UFC is the best org out there. Bar none. There's no BS at all. Gary Shaw is a boxing promoter. In boxing, the bread-and-butter fighters, like Kimbo and the UFCs Brock Lesnar, are coddled along so they build up records of like 20–0. Of course, all 20 of those wins come off fighters that suck, hand-picked opponents that have no business winning. That's how boxing works. Gary Shaw is doing this with Kimbo.

Dana White, UFC president, put Lesnar in with Frank Mir, in his first UFC fight. Mir isn't what he once was (he had a horrible motorcycle accident and has struggled since his return), but Mir vs. Lesnar was a toss-up fight. Lesnar had a huge size advantage, of course, but Mir still had a great chance of winning. And he did. It was a good, competetive fight. Lesnar's next fight is against Heath Herring, another fighter (come over from PRIDE) who has a great chance of winning.

That is why the UFC reigns supreme. MMA is not about the fighters; it's about the fights. There will be no big-time superstars in MMA anymore. No fighter will dominate for years. It just won't happen. So why coddle a fighter? It's stupid, and the fans see right through it. The UFC makes great fights, or at least attempts to. You can't avoid turd joust every now and again. But even if the two guys fighting will never be elite fighters, the UFC tries to match them up in a way that will make them appear elite, at least battling each other. And that's why they get away with one PPV event a month.

Gary Shaw will drive EliteXC into the ground.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now   EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

EliteXC (MMA) On CBS Right Now
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: