Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Punk-mettaler clashes

Go down 
+8
Tall Tyrion
7thSecond
jstate
krokus
Fat Freddy
Lurideath
MetalGuy71
Stender
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
powermacho
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
powermacho

Number of posts : 1778

Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Punk-mettaler clashes   Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 12:20 am

In High School, you could see the Pop-Punks, Black Metalheads, preppy, and The Hip-Hop Guys. I only had the chance to met 2 metalheads from 2 different schools. I never saw any confrontation between any stereotypical group. I used to have friends from the most preppy to the black metalhead to the hip-hop guy. But I used to get very mad when a Kid used to wear a Band t-shirt from Hot-topic(slayer,iron maiden,ac/dc,metallica), and the next day you saw the same guy with a Slipnot shirt. Now I don't care if someone is worthy to have a band t-shirt or not
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Punk-mettaler clashes   Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 12:54 pm

I think the problem there is that people are taking on labels which in a way kills your identity. I grew up in the midwest close to the Tulsa, Ok scene that has come to power over the past 8 years. The main problem I saw was sxe and hardcore "toughguys" who always beat up kids who moshed instead of hxc dancing or twostepping. Despite the terms "shorthair" and "longhair" Its less of a gang war and more like two random groups of elitists who occasionally cross paths. I dont know if any of you guys have seen the boston beatdown documentary but it basically portrays(unintentionally) the hardcore scene as a "family" of thugs which leads me to believe 90 percent of the time they start it.

brass knuckles=No fun.
Back to top Go down
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Punk-mettaler clashes   Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat May 31, 2008 3:16 pm

I'll have to search that documentary out, sounds interesting. Maybe it was just the D.C. area or Ian MacKaye's influence but the SxE punks tended to be pretty, at least physically, non-confrontational. They clearly looked down on us and wondered what we were doing at these shows. And we always played it up big and had the best time possible. So for them it was probably us who were causing trouble.

I never encountered goths or that type until college. We used to call them "tree people" since they always sat together under the trees on the campus lawn. Scott's story reminded me of how there was always the real cute one that I tried my best to get with. No luck, but she actually was pretty friendly and cool.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Punk-mettaler clashes   Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 2:51 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
(On a side note, my one Death-Metal buddy nailed one of the goth/Cure People chicks on a gravestone so I guess there was some cross-over there!) affraid grim reaper

Laughing very hard thats just a great story right there
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Punk-mettaler clashes   Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jun 01, 2008 8:26 am

In my high school all the punks, metalheads, and goths were part of the same group: freaks. Apart from freaks there were jocks, hip-hop guys, preps (who sometimes mingled with the first two), roppers (cowboys), and of course the nerds/geeks. By all accounts I should have been with the freaks but instead I was one of the few that didn't belong to any group (although I did have friends-mostly from my wrestling team).
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Punk-mettaler clashes   Punk-mettaler clashes - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Punk-mettaler clashes
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2