Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Supertramp

Go down 
+10
mikeinfla
Wrecked Neck
akeldama
rattpoison
MetalGuy71
Shiney
tohostudios
XYZ
Trial by Fire
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Trial by Fire
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Trial by Fire

Number of posts : 271

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 5:47 pm

I couldn't find any topics on this great but often overlooked band. I have yet to hear any of their albums past Breakfast in America (which is brilliant) but my personal favorite is Crime of the Century. Crime of the Century is top notch prog rock with a poppy feel to it, but none the less rocks hard. Any Supertramp fans around or opinions?
Back to top Go down
XYZ
Card-carrying Van Halen Freak
XYZ

Number of posts : 2600

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:01 pm

I'm a casual fan. I liked "Crime of the Century."
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:10 pm

When they were in their hayday, I hated them. As I got older and began to appreciate less heavy forms of music, I've grown to like Supertramp. I think part of my problem with them was that Breakfast In America was way overplayed back in the day. In retrospect, I like that album. My favorite Supertramp song is Bloody Well Right.

BTW, the Roger Hodgson solo disc is excellent.

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 7:55 pm

I dig the TRAMP....my dad used to play the hell out their records I actually had "Breakfast" on tape...as was stated top notch proggy art pop....very clever lyrics usually....

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Apr 23, 2008 10:50 pm

I thought this was gonna be a thread about Lindsey Lohan. Bummer.

The band, eh, they're ok I guess. I only know the hits.
Back to top Go down

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 7:50 pm

I liked SUPERTRAMP, too. I had a few of their albums at one time...Crime Of The Century, Even In The Quietest Moments, Breakfast In America, ...Famous Last Words, etc.

The vocals at times reminded me of the Gibb brothers from the BEE GEES during the higher pitched parts ("Goodbye Stranger" chorus, for example).
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2008 7:53 pm

Quote :
The vocals at times reminded me of the Gibb brothers from the BEE GEES during the higher pitched parts ("Goodbye Stranger" chorus, for example).

That's what put me off them when I was younger. That Frankie Valle vocal; still don't like it but I can appreciate the rest of the music. Love the piano.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2008 4:14 am

Remember picking up an album of theirs in a used record store and thought it was interesting. Had the heavily tattooed torso of a woman on the front. Something Stamped or like that was the album title.

But apart from the hit or two i've never heard much.
Back to top Go down

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Apr 30, 2008 1:44 am

All I have is Crime of the Century. Actually, I've had that one since before I got into rock and metal. During my (*gasp) hip-hop and alt-rock days as a total tool of a junior high student, I actually liked a few random rock songs that my parents played all the time. They had extra copies of Dark Side of the Moon and Crime, and so they gave them to me.

I think the title track is the standout track of the album. It's an oddly heavy song for an otherwise meloodic, artsy band. The other songs are great, too. Despite their being tagged prog/art...whatever, they sure know how to write good hooks. Once I get my degree in late-July and begin working for a year to save up money for grad school, I'll be putting a great deal of money into collection music. Supertramp are definitely on the list, but far down.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 8:39 pm

I really like Supertramp a lot bit admittedly I’ve yet to hear anything after Roger Hodgson left. I’d rank them as follows:

1. Crisis? What Crisis?
2. Even In The Quietest Moments...
3. Crime Of The Century
4. Breakfast In America
5. ...Famous Last Words...
6. Indelibly Stamped
7. Supertramp
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeTue Aug 06, 2019 9:14 pm

Wow.  Just curious, what prompted you to dig up a decade-old thread?  Nothing wrong with that but it just strikes me as odd.

And re-reading my comments from 2008 I still feel the same way.  I'd also add that Supertramp's live album is one of those rare instances (Bob Seger's being another one) where a band's live album led me to further investigate the band.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 1:39 am

I like what I've head, but from what I know I've only heard Crime of the Century and Breakfast in America. They are a band I keep meaning to check out more in depth, but haven't gotten around to yet.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 6:37 am

tohostudios wrote:
Wow.  Just curious, what prompted you to dig up a decade-old thread?  Nothing wrong with that but it just strikes me as odd.

And re-reading my comments from 2008 I still feel the same way.  I'd also add that Supertramp's live album is one of those rare instances (Bob Seger's being another one) where a band's live album led me to further investigate the band.

I just went on a Supertramp kick yesterday and wondered if there was a thread about them here at HOM so I did a search and there it was. Very Happy

I haven’t listened to “Paris” yet but I’m assuming you are talking about “Live Bullet” by Seger and that album is a classic.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 7:31 am

really, the only thing I owned is from the early days of CD's. A&M Records used to release "A&M Classics" which were Greatest Hits type discs. So I had that one (and probably still do) .

Supertramp R-660772-1366651965-3947.jpeg

A great CD and really it is the only one I need.

I did own one of Roger's solo cassettes as I was intrigued by this video when I saw it on MTV. Ordered it from Columbia House. It was the only song on it I liked.

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 1:55 pm

I really like all their hits. Good stuff but I don't think I've ever heard anything beyond those.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeWed Aug 07, 2019 7:55 pm

akeldama wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I just went on a Supertramp kick yesterday and wondered if there was a thread about them here at HOM so I did a search and there it was. Very Happy

I haven’t listened to “Paris” yet but I’m assuming you are talking about “Live Bullet” by Seger and that album is a classic.

Yep, I was referring to Live Bullet. 

But the only other live album that caused an "epiphany" in my opinion of a band is that live Supertramp album.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 2:49 am

Dude.

Your timing is impeccable. I just recently reorganized my vinyl collection and finally got my turntable properly set up so I spun a couple albums in their entirety with headphones on. Of course, being stoned kind of amped this experience up. Anyway, I decided at one point for Breakfast in America, which I've had on vinyl forever (hey guys let me know if you want to hear about the whole 9/11 conspiracy regarding the cover).

It CLICKED.

I've actually always enjoyed this album, don't get me wrong. But this time was sheer splendor. I constantly had goosebumps on the back of my neck. Every song struck a nerve somehow. Reminds me of the first time I heard Steely Dan's Aja. Hodgson and Davies were a genius songwriting duo, and man what musicianship. Always looking forward to hearing it again.

Good timing on the post resurrect, dude!
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 8:41 pm

Thx, Hicks. I really want to get my top 4 Supertramp albums on vinyl. How is BIA on vinyl? And I’m aware of the conspiracy cover... it’s interesting at least.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 8:58 pm

Like toho, when I was younger I hated them, but as I grew older and my appreciation for music widened, I became a causal fan. I have 'Breakfast in America' which is a great album but when I used to listen to rock radio they would play the same damn songs off this album over and over and over and over and......
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeThu Aug 08, 2019 9:40 pm

tohostudios wrote:
Quote :

That's what put me off them when I was younger.  That Frankie Valle vocal; still don't like it but I can appreciate the rest of the music.  Love the piano.
Holy crap!

I posted that over a decade ago and I STILL stand by it.

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2019 6:23 am

After Roger left they still had a decent tune, Cannonball

Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2019 8:09 am

I remember that tune. I didn't realize that was Supertramp though.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeFri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am

I remember thinking that Cannonball song was Fleetwood Mac at first.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitimeSat Aug 10, 2019 4:28 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I remember thinking that Cannonball song was Fleetwood Mac at first.

Yeah they sound a lot like other bands at times. I remember thinking for the longest time that Give A Little Bit was Cheap Trick.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Supertramp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Supertramp   Supertramp Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Supertramp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: