Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Empty
PostSubject: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:02 pm

Then YGATC became a US hit and CBS gave them more slack.

That's what I heard anyway.

It may be discussed in some of the recent JP biographies which I want to read but I haven't gotten around to yet.
Back to top Go down
Olafsto
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Olafsto

Number of posts : 2522

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:15 pm

WTFAYTA????
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/olafsto

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:16 pm

Olafsto wrote:
WTFAYTA????

i understand THIS, but not the original message! scratch
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Key:

JP = Judas Priest, a popular heavy rock and roll band
SFV = "Screaming for Vengeance", one of their popular musical recordings.
YGATC = "You Got Another Thing Comin'", one of their biggest hits
US = United States, the country where Judas Priest are not from.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:28 pm

I could see that having some truth to it.

Purely speculation on my part, but before Screaming for Vengeance (or SFV if you will) was released, Priest put out what, 7 or 8 albums?, none of which really took off in the US market. I could see the record company saying "Enough. Either give us a hit record or you're done".
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:32 pm

Yeah.

Except "Breaking the Law" probably did chart in the US, just not sure how well or how excited CBS would've gotten after that. Then PoE didn't do anything, so I could see CBS wanting to make a break.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:37 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
Yeah.

Except "Breaking the Law" probably did chart in the US, just not sure how well or how excited CBS would've gotten after that. Then PoE didn't do anything, so I could see CBS wanting to make a break.

Exactly. Even if British Steel got some attention, following it up with a lukewarm POE probably didn't do much to help their cause. At least from a record company's standpoint.

Hey, at least in those days, record companies gave a band a few albums to improve, grow ,mature. In today's market, you got one shot for a hit song, otherwise it's bye-bye.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:43 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Hey, at least in those days, record companies gave a band a few albums to improve, grow ,mature. In today's market, you got one shot for a hit song, otherwise it's bye-bye.

Also back then a band would put out 1 sometimes 2 albums out in a year's time. These days a band waits 2 or 3 years between albums. Peeps at the record company gotta eat!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:43 pm

Could be true. Aerosmith were in danger of being dropped until "Toys in the Attic" took off in 1975, then their back catalog started to sell as well. Kiss were suppose to part ways with Casablance after they released the "Alive" album, but it took off and they resigned with the label and their back catalog started selling as well.

It was a different time back then. Labels built artists one record at a time and built up an audience through touring.

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 pm

ha, for a moment i thought that JP was for jag panzer.....prisoner of habit i guess.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 1:52 pm

spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

Also back then a band would put out 1 sometimes 2 albums out in a year's time. These days a band waits 2 or 3 years between albums. Peeps at the record company gotta eat!

quite true! Metallica has gone, what, 5 years since St. Anger? And I know they're not exactly huge sellers anymore, but Anthrax has gone 5 years without new material, Testament has gone like 7 or 8, etc.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 6:06 pm

Yes. According to the most recent JP auto I read, it was their awesome live show that pretty much saved them until SfV came out and sold alot.

Sin after Sin: Chart Position 0 in USA 23 UK
Stained Class: 173 in USA 27 UK
Hell Bent for Leather: 128 in USA 32 UK
British Steel: 34 n USA 4 UK
Point of Entry: 36 in USA 14 UK
Screaming for Vengeance 17 in USA 11 UK

RR, Sad Wings,did not chart at all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 12:27 am

Maybe if Priest had released "Red, White, and Blue" on British Steel, the song would've been misinterpreted as a pro-American song, and the band would've found international fame sooner. lol!

I can picture the song in an 80s Ford commercial.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:15 am

ParanoidTime wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

quite true! Metallica has gone, what, 5 years since St. Anger? And I know they're not exactly huge sellers anymore, but Anthrax has gone 5 years without new material, Testament has gone like 7 or 8, etc.

This is all true, but you also have to remember that most albums consisted of 8 to 10 songs in the glory days of vinyl. If there were more songs than that it would have been a double album. Most band's didn't have enough quality material for a studio, double album release. Now we have bands putting out records with 16 to 20 songs on them and touring the globe for years on end on that record, especially if it's a big seller.

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:28 am

i wouldn't change the 11 minutes of heathen's rage or the 7 minutes of snow white's 12" for all the doubles or whatever cds of today......another reason why cds suck.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV   Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it true that JP was in danger of being dropped before SFV
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: