Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Suede

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeSun Apr 06, 2008 8:11 am

*******Warning: Suicide Thread*******

One of the best 'Glamourous' rock n' roll bands of the 90's that just oozed british cool and unwittingly kickstarted the trite britpop scene.

So picture this the year is 1992, Seattle had just put the last nail in Hollywood Hair's coffin and out comes this flamboyant and flashy UK band that screamed Bowie and Ronson.

Bernard Butler's guitar playing employed Ronson's brilliant Metallic Glam Fuzz and singer Brett Anderson was all flamboyant in his Jagger hands on hip style and over the top Bowie vocals. So flashy and androgynous.

It must be said that Morrisey and the Smiths were a big influence on this band, particuarly in the songwriting department. Although at times cryptic and very open for interpretation.

The debut Suede (1993) is the peak of their creative powers with Dog Man Star (1994) a close follow up. I like the debut by virtue of it having more rockers. And weirdly enough my fav song by them is a b-side 'Killing Of A Flash Boy'.

As i say about the british scene of the time. Birdland set em up, The Manic Street Preachers made em take notice and Suede knocked em over. After that saddly borepop followed and the UK didn't produce a cool and glamourous band till the Libertines pissed and vinegared their way about the 'burbs of London singing them "Self Destruction Blues".

Seriously if any Bowie (or closet Smiths) freaks are out there, then this is a band for you. Can't believe they passed America by, but hardly surprising given their sexual ambiguity.

Suede - Metal Mickey promo (Song rumoured to be about Katie Jane Garside from 90's flash weirdoes Daisy Chainsaw)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN5zcUrWrdY

Suede - Animal Nitrate promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaEc_5abpfA&feature=related

Suede - Killing Of A Flash Boy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXxOT5h5-xg&feature=related
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 8:20 pm

I am only posting so this thread does not die a vain...un posted in death....But honestly

I never listened to this band....I remember when they were the big thing and MTV 120 played them incessantly and I remember not quite caring...but I have matured in my musical appreciation alot since then so I shall have to gve them a new whirl...

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 9:02 pm

I loved Metal Mickey when that single first came out but never for some reason got the album. I guess my interest in that scene came and went quickly. One of the many trends I followed briefly over the years.

I got that Birdland album in a discount bin at the time for two dollars. I think it may have been what sparked my interest in that British scene. I should break it out and give it a play.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 9:04 pm

BIRDLAND is awesome.....I think I'll add SUEDE to my lala queue

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:43 am

Suede is definately in your Ziggy Stardusted orbit Shiney. Particuarly the debut.

I think i remember hearing you were a Placebo fan (could be wrong), they derived quite a bit of influence from Suede particuarly the "Nancy Boy" era of that band.

And while were on Nancy Boy's Donovan Leitch's vocals are almost identical to Suede's Brett Anderson. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:05 am

I LOVE PLACEBO......and NANCY BOY....and BIRDLAND....so I will grab SUEDE when next I can....

Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 7:03 pm

SUEDE s/t on the way from lala.....

Suede Empty
PostSubject: Re: Suede   Suede Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Suede
Page 1 of 1