Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ZZ Top

Go down 
+4
Tall Tyrion
ultmetal
DeathCult
tohostudios
8 posters
AuthorMessage

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:37 pm

I can't believe there are no threads about these guys. One of the non-metal groups I really like and I like all their phases though their heavy blues stuff is my favorite. Songs like, Jesus Just Left Chicago, and I'm Bad I'm Nationwide are inspired songwriting.
Any other fans? What do you like?
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 12:42 pm

I can't believe that they haven't released a live album yet, or, at least, a full-length live album.
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:00 pm

I can't believe it's not butter.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 1:43 pm

I liked this band up through Eliminator. After that, I think they fell in love with that synth-pulse sound that permeated that album. Every freakin' album has that pulsating synth all the way through it.

I admit I haven't listened to their latest release and hopefully they ditched that gimmick but they'll always be tainted in my ears for trying to re-create Eliminator for years.

Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Tres' Hombres is an awesome album Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 2:14 pm

tohostudios wrote:
I liked this band up through Eliminator. After that, I think they fell in love with that synth-pulse sound that permeated that album. Every freakin' album has that pulsating synth all the way through it.

I admit I haven't listened to their latest release and hopefully they ditched that gimmick but they'll always be tainted in my ears for trying to re-create Eliminator for years.

I agree. Some of their 80's outputs are a bit hard for me to digest. Too digital/dancy.

However, you really should give albums like Rhythmeen and Mescalero a listen. In my opinion, they are a return to form. Lots of bluesy songs. Humor filled lyrics. No synths or drum machines.

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 3:16 pm

ultmetal wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

I agree. Some of their 80's outputs are a bit hard for me to digest. Too digital/dancy.

However, you really should give albums like Rhythmeen and Mescalero a listen. In my opinion, they are a return to form. Lots of bluesy songs. Humor filled lyrics. No synths or drum machines.
I would say that even Antenna is worth checking out. I think that's when they started to shift back toward a solid rock/blues style. XXX is also pretty good, but weird that it's got those live songs on it.

There was once a really long thread here on the band; must have gotten the axe, though.
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 3:28 pm

Quote :
you really should give albums like Rhythmeen and Mescalero a listen. In my opinion, they are a return to form. Lots of bluesy songs. Humor filled lyrics. No synths or drum machines.

Yeah, that.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 4:52 pm

I love ZZ Top, particularly the seventies material, when they were just
a rockin' blues/boogie band. The six pack is usually available for a
pretty good price. Essential albums, in my book.

I don't hate the later material, even when they were doing the synth stuff. It was still good songwriting.
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 5:09 pm

Even the digitally stuff still had Billy Gibbons signatures on them. Just a side note - Hendrix sited Gibbons as one of his biggest influences. Now that is quite an honor!!

I will stick with the 6 pack. 6 of the first 7 ZZ albums on 3 discs. ESSENTIAL!!
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 5:17 pm

"They all call her puta cause no one really knows her name.
She works the cantina, dancin and a-lovins her trade.
Her mama was mezcan and her daddy was the ace of spades."

"Mexicn Blackbird" is my fave TOP tune....but I really like the earlier stuff through ELIMINATOR....

primo blues rock!!!!

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 9:42 pm

Try writing those lyrics nowadays.
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 24, 2008 10:54 pm

I love ZZ Tops First Album.

I gots to have me dat brown sugah!!!!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 5:02 am

i like the two zz top songs i know. - la grange and sharp dressed man.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeMon Mar 31, 2008 7:52 pm

grew up listening to these guys alot and played alot of thier stuff doing the biker dives. Havn't heard much past the TV Dinners video, which was great. I lost interest when Frank quit playing drums like he used to, underated player to say the least. Saw them lots of times in the 70's , opening for everybody pretty much and only once as headliner in 83' with QUiet Riot opening.

Laterz
Back to top Go down

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 8:35 am

Viva ZZ TOP! 🤘
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitimeThu Apr 03, 2008 2:06 am

I would like to give a shout out to the Top rekkid Tejas.

Wow, one of the best records made in the 70's, no mean feat in itself considering music reached it's peak sometime in that bygone era.

8 or so decades of indigenous American musics fleshed onto a simple boogie hard rock skeleton. Its pointless naming all the styles represented on this album but then some don't have names considering ZZ Top invent quite a few new sub-genres that only one song inhabits.

As the cover conveys the Texan outback so does the grooves inside much like that other Texan trio.

I'm not one for instrumentals but Asleep In The Desert is the King Daddy of vocaless songs, also my fav track on the record as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

ZZ Top Empty
PostSubject: Re: ZZ Top   ZZ Top Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

ZZ Top
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: