Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best concept albums?

Go down 
+16
thejokeriv
the sentinel
rattpoison
romeolimagolf
mc666
candlemass
XYZ
Chairman_Smith
TrogDawn
caniplaywithmadness?
DallasBlack
krokus
Angelcake Adonisus Fox
INVADERS
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

Best concept albums? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:19 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
candlemass wrote:
Saviour Machine - The Legend Series

Yes! I'm not the only one then.

Not by a long shot, perhaps on this board though, due to all the "metal snobbery!" lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:20 pm

He's right, though; themed albums are more abundant, while concept albums are not. And many purported concept albums are merely chronological themed albums, with storylines that are vague and bland (i.e. Operation Mindcrime II).
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:21 pm

plancha2 wrote:

'S.F. Sorrow' by The Pretty Things. Late 60s British bluesey/hard rock. A truly great 'lost' album by a band that history has insanely overlooked.

Yes, Yes, Yes. The Pretty Things are so insanely overlooked it makes me sad. They influenced everyone and no one has heard of them.

And that album is the first rock concept album pipping the Who. So this whole topic owes it to the Pretty Things and S.F. Sorrow.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 8:31 pm

Operation Mindcrime
Streets: A Rock Opera
Wake of Magellan
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from A Memory
Elements Parts 1 and 2
Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts 1 and 2
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
🤘
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 11:11 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Operation Mindcrime
Streets: A Rock Opera
Wake of Magellan
Metropolis Part 2: Scenes from A Memory
Elements Parts 1 and 2
Keeper of the Seven Keys Parts 1 and 2
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son
🤘

Good choices - I love SFAM, OM (the original!!!) - I thought QR's downfall started with hear in the now frontier - still the only QR cd missing from my collection!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 7:30 am

Paramaecium - Exhumed of the Earth

Best concept albums? - Page 2 20
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:14 am

TrogDawn wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
You really see this as a concept album? Maybe a couple of the songs are tied together, but I've never really looked at it as a full concept album...

I just finished reading an article on Alice Cooper and the Welcome to My Nightmare album. He contends that the entire album was a story based on the nightmares of a young boy named Steven. He also goes on to say that Steve reappears in later Cooper records. I'll have to dig out that article again and post some quotes.

From the Inside is a great choice. 🤘

Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:15 am

candlemass wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
No OPERATION MINDCRIME on your list, Ult? I'm shocked and appalled!!

No a big fan of Operation Mindcrime. To me that was the start of the fall of Queensryche. Never thought that CD was "all that".

surprised surprised surprised angry angry angry angry angry angry

I take it you like this album? Cool
I did mention that I was in the minority on this opinion.

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:16 am

WTMN is definetely a concept album. Just watch the live show from that era, it all ties in as nightmares Steven has, just like ult stated.

From The Inside is one I forgot about somehow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:17 am

Operation Mindcrime is one of those albums that people were going gaga for years ago. I thought it was OK. I always tried to get people to appreciate Rage For Order, which is leaps and bounds a better album, IMO.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:19 am

spectrefate wrote:
Operation Mindcrime is one of those albums that people were going gaga for years ago. I thought it was OK. I always tried to get people to appreciate Rage For Order, which is leaps and bounds a better album, IMO.

YES!!!

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 8:48 am

ultmetal wrote:
I like some concept albums, but I find that many concept records focus to heavily on the story and not enough on the songwriting.

I absolutely agree with you. While I can't condemn all concept albums (there are a *few* that I like), most generally bore me to tears, which is why I'm only cautiously optimistic about the new Judas Priest.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:15 am

Metal Misfit wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
I like some concept albums, but I find that many concept records focus to heavily on the story and not enough on the songwriting.

I absolutely agree with you. While I can't condemn all concept albums (there are a *few* that I like), most generally bore me to tears, which is why I'm only cautiously optimistic about the new Judas Priest.

I'm trying to be optimistic about the new Priest as well.

I think the latest Iced Earth is a good example of a CD that the emphasis is placed more on the story than on the music itself.

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2008 9:44 am

deliverance-sword of the necromancer
manilla road-mystification
marauder-1821
scanner-mental reservation
silverback- a thought on life duration of species and human behavior
seven seas- darwinism
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 2:25 am

Flotsam - Dreams of Death
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 4:15 am

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
- the Wall

the Who - Tommy

Eagles - Hotel California

Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

And I'm gonna go ahead and predict that Judas Priest's Nostradamus will be metal history. headbanger
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:01 pm

Sacred Warrior - Wicked Generation. As an album, a GREAT album. As a concept album, the story is weak and not well told, but it's got some great METAL music on it!!!!! It's also my favorite SW cd! I will admit, when I first heard it, I thought SW had listend to O:M a few too many times before entering the studio.

Speaking of weak stories, Music From The Elder's story make sense on the remastered (and original track list) version. The record company at the time decided to emphasize the potential "hits" and changed the playing order. The story flows much better on the remaster, makes sense and is easier to follow the events.
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 11:04 pm

get_the_firehouse wrote:
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
- the Wall

the Who - Tommy

Eagles - Hotel California

Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

And I'm gonna go ahead and predict that Judas Priest's Nostradamus will be metal history. headbanger

In a godo way or a bad way? If you leave you prediction as is, you can't lose! I have a feeling it will either be awesome or suck. I have a feeling it won't be an inbetween. It will either be the best thing they have done since Painkiller or the worst thing they have done since Turbo
Back to top Go down
candlemass
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
candlemass

Number of posts : 2096

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 1:07 am

Paramaecium - Within The Ancient Forest
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/fragilegothband
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 9:02 am

Last night I remebered After Forever-Invisible Circles, another good concept album.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 4:13 pm

ultmetal wrote:
TrogDawn wrote:
ultmetal wrote:
Alice Cooper - Welcome to My Nightmare
You really see this as a concept album? Maybe a couple of the songs are tied together, but I've never really looked at it as a full concept album...
I just finished reading an article on Alice Cooper and the Welcome to My Nightmare album. He contends that the entire album was a story based on the nightmares of a young boy named Steven. He also goes on to say that Steve reappears in later Cooper records. I'll have to dig out that article again and post some quotes.
I didn't know that. I'll have to listen to it again with that in mind. Steven is also the main character in The Last Temptation, though you might not notice it without the comic books.

ultmetal wrote:
From the Inside is a great choice. 🤘
Probably my all time favorite right there. Best concept albums? - Page 2 309780
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
TrogDawn
Janitor of the Void
TrogDawn

Number of posts : 3361

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 4:15 pm

ultmetal wrote:
spectrefate wrote:
YES!!!
Ditto. I always preferred Rage for Order over Mindcrime and even Warning. It's a very cool and unique sounding album for the period.
Back to top Go down
https://bandcamp.com/stonegrooverecords/following
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23274

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 4:33 pm

Grave digger - Tunes of war
Grave Digger - Knights of the Cross

as for mindcrime - I still like it a lot but it is clouded because it was my introduction to the band. I heard eyes of a stranger one summer night listening to college radio and was hooked...

alex

iamrockerfun
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
iamrockerfun

Number of posts : 2003

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 5:54 pm

Best concept albums? - Page 2 F78286rzety
Back to top Go down
http://bootlegnightmare.euweb.cz/
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 7:19 pm

exact33 wrote:
I heard eyes of a stranger one summer night listening to college radio and was hooked...

alex

That and I Don't Believe In Love are the best songs on that album IMO, and the only two tracks I listen to on a regular basis.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best concept albums?   Best concept albums? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best concept albums?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2