Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Box sets of unreleased material

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Box sets of unreleased material Empty
PostSubject: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:17 pm

Considering how much studio material goes unused by most bands, you gotta wonder why more bands aren't releasing rarities box sets.

Of course, you'd assume the material wouldn't be as good as the rest, but does that matter? Hardcore fans will pay the money. I know Aerosmith has bucket loads of left-over material, just collecting dust. Well, why keep it there when us diehards can enjoy it?!

What are your thoughts? Does releasing unused material compromise bands' "artistic integrity"?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Because the individual band members can't be objective enough. What they think is crap, the fans would likely think is pretty good. But since they think the stuff is crap, they don't release it. Some bands are the opposite, and they release tons of unreleased material. Therapy? could release a 4CD set of just non-LP tracks that they released on EPs and singles, or through their website for free download. The Coral haven't been around for half as long as Therapy? and they've put out close to the same amount on non-LP tracks, all on singles as b-sides. It's awesome!

Sure, the songs might not be on par with the tracks that made the album, but not every song can be great. Good songs are perfectly fine! Decent songs get by as well. And some songs are simply killer, and better than songs on whatever album they were recorded for; but for whatever reason the bands don't like them.

I personally wish all bands would just release everything, good or bad.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2008 9:01 pm

Right on Eyesore. Theres alot of excellent tracks that have been cut from albums, and it doesnt make much sense why.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 2:24 pm

Who are some other artists that you would like to see "clean out the archives" and release a box set that haven't done so already?

My top 2 choices would be Anthrax and Great White. Both bands have been recording for many years so you know there has to be plenty of material to pull from. Tons of b-sides, covers, soundtrack cuts, tribute albums, live, etc. Some have been released in some form or another, but I'd like to see them in a nice box set format. Also top of the list for me would be Tesla, but I understand that a box set is already in the works.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2008 2:59 pm

Yeah, Tesla is coming out with a box set, and it should be great. They have a lot of killer b-sides.

I'd love Def Leppard to release a box set where they just open the vaults. Old demos like "Warchild" and "Beyond The Temple" are awesome; then there's the tracks from the First Strike bootleg; "Good Morning Freedom" has only ever been released as a b-side on an old 7-inch; "Medicine Man" is a track they played live a few times way back in the day, and it was later cannibalized for "Rock Rock (Til You Drop)." I'd love to hear a demo of that track. Plus there are other early demos that are only mentioned in the Animal Instinct book; and even most of their recent b-sides have been really good, with a lot of them have been heavier than what appears on albums, too.

But unfortunately Def Leppard is one of those bands that hoard their own music because it might not be up to their high standards. Bands like that are simply out of touch with their fans' desires.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 12:47 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Who are some other artists that you would like to see "clean out the archives" and release a box set that haven't done so already?

Oh man, let's see....

I'd like to hear all the leftovers from Motorhead's Orgasmatron sessions.

Some leftovers from Di'anno era Maiden would rock.

Anything from Megadeth from Peace Sells to (and including) Rust in Peace. I would pay just about anything for that.

I'd love to hear Prist empty everything. EVERYTHING. I know they gave a handful with the remasters, but there's gotta be more than that. Though I wouldn't really care for Turbo stuff.

And, of course, all Dio-era Sabbath. It's a shame how short-lived that was.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2008 10:45 pm

I'd love to hear Prist empty everything.
EVERYTHING. I know they gave a handful with the remasters, but there's
gotta be more than that. Though I wouldn't really care for Turbo stuff.

Amen, brother. 🤘

I think this would be a phenomenal idea. We should start an online petition. Sign me up for Priest, Maiden, Dio, and Leppard!
I thought most of the stuff off of Y&T's Unearthed discs was truly great and most of it really good. So, I think this stuff would actually sell.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeSat Mar 22, 2008 5:06 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I think this would be a phenomenal idea. We should start an online petition. Sign me up for Priest, Maiden, Dio, and Leppard!

I would sign that in a heartbeat.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitimeSun Mar 23, 2008 2:43 pm

Anyone know how to get in touch with Halford, Dickinson, RJD, or Joe Elliot? Come on, Eyesore, I know you have adirect line to the guys from DL!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Box sets of unreleased material   Box sets of unreleased material Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Box sets of unreleased material
Page 1 of 1