Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pirate doppelgangers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Pirate doppelgangers Empty
PostSubject: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 9:53 pm

I'm having an odd week. Yesterday I talk to a friend of mine (whom I don't see that often) named John. Only it turned out that he was actually someone else named John who looked exactly like my friend. It took me about 5 minutes to figure this out.
I had the same experience musically this week. I got two double, mostly live or live in studio CD's by bands called the Pirates.
The first band was a comeback effort from the Johnny Kidd Pirates from the UK. Kidd died in 1966, and the band split. However in the mid 70's they realized they still had a following and came back without Kidd. They started out playing their old stuff, basic 50's rock & roll and rocked up blues standards. However influenced by the NWOBHM they started writing some slightly heavier material, and on a few songs almost got up to Motorhead territory. The double disc has pretty much thier entire 70's catologue, to the point of being redundant. I know one song is on there three times. But it's good, fun stuff.
Meanwhile, when the UK Pirates were in their dormant period, a guy named Terry Dolan started a SF Bay area all star project, which was built around former Quicksilver Messenger John Cippolina and his hard rockin' Copperhead era band. "Terry and the Pirates" had some really big name people sit in with them at various times. A virtual Bay area who's who of all stars. This is also a two disc set, recorded live or live in studio. They played more of a west coast mix of hard rock, down home R & R, and blues rock. But the difference between the Pirates SF and the Pirates UK is subtle. They are both really straight ahead Rock & Roll bands with a little hard rock thrown in. The UK band is a little more punky, while the SF band has a little more surf guitar to them, maybe some country. I'm not saying that they really sound alike, each has a clearly distinctive style. I just think it's kinda cool that there are two excellent bands in the same general R & R/Blues/HR ballpark that share the same name. More like bookends than twins really. They make a nice pair.
This happened to me once before, when the bands Stray and Baker-Gurvitz Army recorded albums called "Hearts of Fire", both in 1976 I think, and each album was a 50-50 split of great songs and experimental disco crap. Strange how these things happen.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 10:54 pm

You're getting old.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeWed Feb 27, 2008 11:04 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
You're getting old.

What do you mean 'getting'.

We talked about these guys before i think, Out Of Their Skulls is great english pub rock. Nearly to the standard of Dr. Feelgood, Eddie And The Hot Rods and Duck's Deluxe. Good stuff, great cover of Milk Cow Blues.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 12:01 am

Yeah. They also do a nice "Honey Hush". The SF Pirates do a nice cover of "Train Kept A'rollin". Even so, I shouldn't really have lumped them together. Pirates UK was a 3 piece, while Pirates SF actually feature 3 guitars at times. I'm just having a lot of fun listening to both of them right now, so I just thought I'd give 'em both a mention.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 12:03 am

People need to be hipped Sahb to alot of these great forgotten bands.
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 12:10 am

rattpoison wrote:
People need to be hipped Sahb to alot of these great forgotten bands.

Especially the UK Pirates. Their classic era from 62-66 was very crucial to the development of hard rock.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 12:18 am

Oh yeah definately Johnny Kidd, when you write a song as good as "Shakin' All Over" your a legend automatically. Big influence on the Who who covered that legendary track. Although the Flamin' Groovies did a better cover of it.
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 3:07 am

I don't know. I didn't bother reading the whole post. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitimeThu Feb 28, 2008 10:42 am

The name rings a bell. Didn't Motorhead cover one of their songs? Or was some member of Motorhead in one of those bands? I know there is some kind of Lemmy connection, I just can't remember what it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pirate doppelgangers   Pirate doppelgangers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pirate doppelgangers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: