Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cookie Cutter Power Metal

Go down 
+8
T-Roy
ultmetal
Temple of Blood
scottmitchell74
Thrasher73
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
tohostudios
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:25 pm

Quote :
I still love it but I'm really fussy about spending on it at this point.

Yeah, I don't just like any and all, but I like a lot of it and I LOVE the cheesy stuff so my window of tolerance is wider than others I think.....
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:33 pm

I still say there's a wide variety of bands that get lumped into this category. I've seen the following put in this genre:

Rhapsody
Nightwish
Blind Guardian
Iced Earth
Nevermore
Hammerfall
Primal Fear
Communic
Visions of Atlantis
Sinergy

etc, etc.

IMO, those are a lot of dissimilar bands. I think people tend to paint the power metal genre with too broad a brushstroke.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:46 pm

ICED EARTH and NEVERMORE don't play flower metal though.

NEVERMORE are almost a genre unto themselves with all the copycats they've inspired.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:48 pm

Nevermore is truly unique. I don't think of them as powermetal.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 7:59 pm

Me either but I don't think of Nightwish, Blind Guardian, Communic or Iced Earth as power metal either. To me Nightwish is symphonic metal, Blind Guardian is progressive, symphonic metal, Communic is progressive thrash and Iced Earth is simply metal.

My point is that I've seen various critics and web sites classify all these bands as "power metal" so I think that phrase is often misapplied.

Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:10 pm

To me, progressive thrash is CORONER.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2008 9:11 pm

Nevermore created their own sound just like At The Gates pretty much created the "Gothenburg" sound.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Feb 25, 2008 6:37 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Quote :
I still love it but I'm really fussy about spending on it at this point.

Yeah, I don't just like any and all, but I like a lot of it and I LOVE the cheesy stuff so my window of tolerance is wider than others I think.....

No more wider than me. When I wasn't on a budget and the particular albums I was looking for weren't in stock if I saw an album that looked power metal, I'd either get it or put it to memory for a later date. Symphonic power, speed, modern power, traditional, either way I love this music enough that if there are copy cats out there I will listen to them, providing they're any good (so far I haven't come accross any stinkers).

Origionality has never been much of an issue with me, it's all about the music listening to music .
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cookie Cutter Power Metal   Cookie Cutter Power Metal - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cookie Cutter Power Metal
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2