Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ziltoid! The Omniscient!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Empty
PostSubject: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 7:56 pm

So I was listening to Devin Townsend's Ziltoid album for the bajillionth time and this picture came to mind. I like how it turned out, despite it seeming a bit squashed and messy at points. It's the first time I've drawn in months though, and it felt good.

Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Ziltoid_the_Omniscient_by_Smindas

http://smindas.deviantart.com/art/Ziltoid-the-Omniscient-77217483

Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:07 pm

thats wicked man

i think we shoud start an artwork thread were u can post ur creations and talk art that'd be so cool

I think I might just do that
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:11 pm

What does that album sound like? I've seen the album a million times at the store, but haven't heard anything.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 8:23 pm

Cheers White Mage.

Anyway spiritoradio, the album's sound is quite hard to describe. The music is all somewhere between metal and prog, but it varies hugely throughout the entire album. With it being a concept album, it all flows very well, relaying the tale of Ziltoid's attack on Earth for coffee. The plot is very silly, but in a charming way, and is complimented by very well written prog epics. Sorry, I'm doing a terrible job descrbing the sound, your best bet is to check out the samples on http://www.myspace.com/ziltoidtheomniscient

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:27 pm

White_Mage wrote:
thats wicked man

i think we shoud start an artwork thread were u can post ur creations and talk art that'd be so cool

I think I might just do that
Or you could search for the one already created.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2008 9:28 pm

Smindas wrote:
Cheers White Mage.

Anyway spiritoradio, the album's sound is quite hard to describe. The music is all somewhere between metal and prog, but it varies hugely throughout the entire album. With it being a concept album, it all flows very well, relaying the tale of Ziltoid's attack on Earth for coffee. The plot is very silly, but in a charming way, and is complimented by very well written prog epics. Sorry, I'm doing a terrible job descrbing the sound, your best bet is to check out the samples on http://www.myspace.com/ziltoidtheomniscient
It's Devin Townsend, so it's brilliant! That's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 3:23 am

Last summer I probably listened to this album than any other disk I can think of.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 5:45 am

Over November / December (when I finally got ahold of this album), I listened to pretty much nothing but Ziltoid the Omniscient and Devin's previous album, Synchestra. Both are permanently etched in to my brain - not that that's a bad thing!

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 2:32 pm

Devin is one of my all-time favorite artists. Top 5! The dude is simply brilliant.
Back to top Go down
White_Mage
Metal master
Metal master
White_Mage

Number of posts : 535

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:27 pm

Agreed Devin Townsend is like a modern metal Frank Zappa IMO
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 7:29 pm

Wow great! I only can draw things that looks like cartoon.
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 8:33 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Devin is one of my all-time favorite artists. Top 5! The dude is simply brilliant.
Definitely agree to that. I spent January digesting Accelerated Evolution and Cooked on Phonics. Both fantastic albums in completely different ways.

Also, cheers Ace!

Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:23 pm

Sounds interesting, I may just have to check that disc out. Thanks Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:36 pm

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Definitely agree to that. I spent January digesting Accelerated Evolution and Cooked on Phonics. Both fantastic albums in completely different ways.

Also, cheers Ace!
Do you know the story behind Cooked On Phonics? He was bored, called up and Century Media and said, "Give me $1500 and I'll give you an album in a week." And he did. He wrote and recorded that album in one week. Haha. The dude is nuts. And it's a killer punk album, too. That's what's so funny about it.

And Ziltoid was supposed to be a theme song only! "ZTO" was going to initially be the only Ziltoid song. Then he'd do some skits for fun. But then before he knew it he had an album. Awesome!

Have you heard the Devlab and Hummer CDs? Very weird ambient albums, pretty cool to listen to when reading and stuff. He's getting ready to record his next album, which is supposed to be some insane symphonic metal album.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:40 pm

Holy crap, Eyesore changed his avatar. Smile ...and incorporated "himself" within it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:42 pm

spectrefate wrote:
Holy crap, Eyesore changed his avatar. Smile
Sort of.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 pm

I didnt notice at first what was happening with the new avatar, then I looked closer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 10:52 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I didnt notice at first what was happening with the new avatar, then I looked closer.
The Christmas one had to go. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 11:12 pm

I was going to mention the christmas avatar, but who am I to mention anything about avatars? Smile
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 7:49 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Do you know the story behind Cooked On Phonics? He was bored, called up and Century Media and said, "Give me $1500 and I'll give you an album in a week." And he did. He wrote and recorded that album in one week. Haha. The dude is nuts. And it's a killer punk album, too. That's what's so funny about it.
Yep, heard about that before I got the album - it was one of the things that piqued my interest in it. I like the little rant about how Devin beat the pop-punk musicians at their own game towards the end of Larry's O. He raises a good point, it's actually a very good album. The guy just oozes talent.

Eyesore wrote:
And Ziltoid was supposed to be a theme song only! "ZTO" was going to initially be the only Ziltoid song. Then he'd do some skits for fun. But then before he knew it he had an album. Awesome!
This I did not know. I knew the album was tentively titled The Mighty Masturbator but that was about it. It quickly evolved into Ziltoid from there. Awesome indeed!

Eyesore wrote:
Have you heard the Devlab and Hummer CDs? Very weird ambient albums, pretty cool to listen to when reading and stuff.
I've heard bits and pieces off both. Got to say, didn't really grab me all that well. I thought ambient music would just be really really mellow songs, but it seems more like meticulously constructed sound effects. Not entirely my thing, so for now I'll leave it that side of Dev.

Eyesore wrote:
He's getting ready to record his next album, which is supposed to be some insane symphonic metal album.
This I didn't know either, where'd you hear that? I'm sure it'll kick ass, shame he won't be touring any time soon, if ever.

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeSat Feb 23, 2008 8:48 pm

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
Have you heard the Devlab and Hummer CDs? Very weird ambient albums, pretty cool to listen to when reading and stuff.
I've heard bits and pieces off both. Got to say, didn't really grab me all that well. I thought ambient music would just be really really mellow songs, but it seems more like meticulously constructed sound effects. Not entirely my thing, so for now I'll leave it that side of Dev.
Yeah, they're definitely different. They're limited releases, too. Limited to 500, I think, and only available through HevyDevy Records. There are those out-of-control fans on his forum that gush over each release like they're masterpieces, but they're not. They are cool, though. More for the subconscious, though.

His forum sort of sucks now with crazy fans. They're even the moderators there. Really annoying. So I don't post much at all.

Smindas wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
He's getting ready to record his next album, which is supposed to be some insane symphonic metal album.
This I didn't know either, where'd you hear that? I'm sure it'll kick ass, shame he won't be touring any time soon, if ever.
He's been posting about it every now and again on his forum. Here are a the few posts where he's mentioned it:

Quote :
A hugely complicated, dynamic metal 'symphony' thing...mainly instrumental...(except for the choir vox type smurf poo) 72 minutes

I've already started it, and it's far over the top...the most complex thing to date.

tentative title: 2. (Zilly was 1)...whatever it's called, it's going to have a '2' in the upper right hand corner.

Maybe by Dec?

Seriously...FAR over the top...TONS of guitar...TONS of solos...TONS of layers, some Devlab / Hummer bits, some beauty, some hell...no breaks between songs...some super clean quiet bits...

No Ziltoid wackiness... I see it as a real DIY honest, adult thing. I want to write symphonies, but I'm a metal head, so here we go. I find it really natural.

Making music without touring IS a break as far as I'm concerned...
Quote :
Then again, it might just end up totally different.

Who knows?

I'm inspired either way.

Take care.
Quote :
Going to start recording in May (probably...maybe not...I'll see how I feel in May) will be really awesome, quite sinister and quiet...heavy vintage...native art, forests and aliens.

I keep the skullet in a box in my studio, although I did donate some to Ziltoid...he looks pretty stylish now!

More soon...shhhhhh!
Quote :
New stuff by years end...hush hush!
2008 is going to be awesome! 🤘
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 6:02 am

Haha, awesome. Although, I'm a bit dismayed to hear it'll be mainly instrumental - Devin has a fantastic voice. Still, should be decent.

Also, I take it with that 'skullet in a box' comment, he cut his trademark hair off? Haha.

PostSubject: Re: Ziltoid! The Omniscient!   Ziltoid! The Omniscient! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ziltoid! The Omniscient!
Page 1 of 1