Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jellyfish

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
Shiney
rattpoison
7 posters
AuthorMessage
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:07 am

I love this band, one of the greatest rock n' roll bands of the 90's. So underrated.

Up there with Enuff Z'Nuff, Material Issue, Urge Overkill, The Posies and Velvet Crush as one of the greatest powerpop bands of the 90's

Their quirky pop was like Queen, XTC and the Beatles all rolled into one with a bit of Redd Kross thrown in.

Check out this video of the song the King is half undressed, this song is stunning. Those harmonies are killer, ethereal and dreamy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyDhsDUorGA
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 8:51 am

I dig THE POSIES alot more....

"You Avoid Parties"is one of the greatest songs ever written and I mean EVER!!!!!

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:51 am

I LOVE the band Jellyfish!! A total shame they only released 2 studio albums...some of the best writing & hook arrangements ever!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 12:04 pm

I remember a buddy of mine being waaaaaayyyyyy into these guys back in the day, but they were much too "light & fluffy" compared to what I was listening to at the time. Listening to them now with a more open mind, it's not half bad. I could probably get into this.
Back to top Go down

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 3:33 pm

One of my all time favs!!! Saw them on the Spilt Milk Tour. They were all lined up at the front of the stage and Andy had like a 6 piece drumset he played while singing. EXCELLENT. I have every album, single, boxset, and a ton of boots. One of those bands where I must have everything they have touched, including the Merrymakers, Moog Cookbook, The Grays (another great band), etc etc. That is the way most bands should be - 2 extremely top-notch albums and out ya go. Even though I would give my left nut to see them get back together!!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeTue Feb 12, 2008 11:29 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
One of my all time favs!!! Saw them on the Spilt Milk Tour. They were all lined up at the front of the stage and Andy had like a 6 piece drumset he played while singing. EXCELLENT. I have every album, single, boxset, and a ton of boots. One of those bands where I must have everything they have touched, including the Merrymakers, Moog Cookbook, The Grays (another great band), etc etc. That is the way most bands should be - 2 extremely top-notch albums and out ya go. Even though I would give my left nut to see them get back together!!

I would duly hand over my whole package to see that band live.

Saxon you must get this band called Sugarbomb, they released one album in 2001 and were gone. Jellyfish fans must have, Andy Sturmer even collaborated on a song with them. Prepare to be blown away. This album Bully is top 10 all genres for me. Check the bargain bins for this one!

Listen to Gone and Over
http://www.myspace.com/sugarbomber

You also a fan of Imperial Drag, Roger Manning and Eric Dover's 70's glam rock T.Rex inspired band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy6_3_BqX5U
Back to top Go down

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2008 5:34 pm

Quote :
Saxon you must get this band called Sugarbomb,
I'm on it!

Quote :
You also a fan of Imperial Drag

Of course! Acrtually one of the more "enjoyable" post-JF bands. Sturmer/Manning is right up there with Lennon/McCartney, Loggins/Messina, Bert/Ernie, etc!!!!

I love when you metalheads go outside the box with bands that are part of my soul. Now, If I could just convince every one of you that Bob Marley was more than just "ganja-smoking reggae singer"!!
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2008 1:19 am

SAXON1500 wrote:
Quote :
Saxon you must get this band called Sugarbomb,
I'm on it!

Quote :
You also a fan of Imperial Drag

Of course! Acrtually one of the more "enjoyable" post-JF bands. Sturmer/Manning is right up there with Lennon/McCartney, Loggins/Messina, Bert/Ernie, etc!!!!

I love when you metalheads go outside the box with bands that are part of my soul. Now, If I could just convince every one of you that Bob Marley was more than just "ganja-smoking reggae singer"!!

I more outside the metal box looking in, particuarly around its edges!

But really you need to get Sugarbomb's only album Bully. Probably the greatest lost band ever. I've been playing that thing like a OCD guy.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeSat Jan 10, 2009 2:48 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I remember a buddy of mine being waaaaaayyyyyy into these guys back in the day, but they were much too "light & fluffy" compared to what I was listening to at the time. Listening to them now with a more open mind, it's not half bad. I could probably get into this.

I picked this disc over the summer at a Goodwill shop for a few sheckles. Didn't really grab me upon first listen. On the shelf it went. Fast forward to last week when I decided to give it another spin. If it didn't catch on, it was going in the trade/sell pile. I'm happy to report that this will remain in my possession. Not sure how much regular plays it will get, as it seems to be something I'd have to be in the mood for, but it's kinda cool. One critique I will make is that they picked the worst song ever to start the album. The song itself is not bad, but it's very slow and melancoly (sp?). Not a good way to kick off an album. It should have been shuffled in a little further down the track listing, especially when the rest of the album is so up-beat.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 8:02 pm

You should get their follow up Spilt Milk, you would probably like that one more. Alot of Brian May like heavy guitar pomp throughout that one.

A Jellyfish related band you might like is Imperial Drag (Features Roger Joseph Manning Jr and Eric Dover (Also of Snakepit) of Jellyfish), their one and only record from '96 is one the best 'Glam Rock' albums of the 90's......

Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I forgot all about Jellyfish, very cool band. I discovered this band thru Slash's Snakepit, since Eric Dover sang on his first solo album.

Very very cool band thanks rattpoison for reminding of this lost classic band.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 3:28 pm

I really like this song (that is apparently very hard to find) and this is a pretty funny music video from an some artist who made a flash for it:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
jstate
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
jstate

Number of posts : 3361

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 11:14 am

That is off an e.p. called New Mistake.  I got lucky and found it in a dollar bin.  Jellyfish's stuff can get pricey.  Someday I'll get my hands on their boxset for a decent price.

I actually don't care for that song but seeing the video makes it a whole lot better.

I'm not as big on Spilt Milk as most fans are.  To me the debut smokes it by a mile.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:07 pm

jstate wrote:

I actually don't care for that song but seeing the video makes it a whole lot better.

Yeah, I'm sure if I heard it before I saw the video, I wouldn't like it as much (except the Goomba chorus which works real well). However, when I hear it in my head or sing it, the video runs through my mind. Props to whoever made that flash.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 12:49 pm

They were killer live as well. I saw them open up for the Black Crowes on their High as the Moon Tour after seeing them live, I bought Bellybutton a few days later... Excellent band! Have the vinyl reissues also.

The live ep Jellyfish Comes Alive is a good one to get, too. Great mix of originals and covers(Badfinger, Wings).
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 1:33 pm

Here's a little live tune for ya!

Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitimeThu May 08, 2014 3:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:

I picked this disc over the summer at a Goodwill shop for a few sheckles. Didn't really grab me upon first listen. On the shelf it went. Fast forward to last week when I decided to give it another spin. If it didn't catch on, it was going in the trade/sell pile. I'm happy to report that this will remain in my possession. Not sure how much regular plays it will get, as it seems to be something I'd have to be in the mood for, but it's kinda cool. One critique I will make is that they picked the worst song ever to start the album. The song itself is not bad, but it's very slow and melancoly (sp?). Not a good way to kick off an album. It should have been shuffled in a little further down the track listing, especially when the rest of the album is so up-beat.

Fast-forward a few years and that disc went bye-bye. It never really clicked with me and just ended up collecting dust on the shelf. Oh well.

Jellyfish Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jellyfish   Jellyfish Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jellyfish
Page 1 of 1