Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

One Bad Pig anyone?

Go down 
+9
DallasBlack
kmorg
Thrasher73
Tall Tyrion
scottmitchell74
shamgar75
ultmetal
thejokeriv
mr.electric39
13 posters
AuthorMessage
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

Number of posts : 1828

One Bad Pig anyone? Empty
PostSubject: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 6:25 pm

One Bad Pig anyone? One_ba11One Bad Pig anyone? Swine_10
I pulled out some of my One Bad Pig discs.... I hadn't listened to those in years.... They've aged pretty well... Still funny and edgy with some real catchy melodies...

I used to have their original six song EP 'A Christian Banned' but I had to hawk it to pay some debts.... Mad

I think "smash" and "swine flu" are probably my favorites. The live disc "Blow Down the House" didn't do too much for me at the time. I'll need to re-listen. "I Scream Sunday" had some highpoints but I think their schtick was getting old.... still a pretty good listen tho...

Anyone else?
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

Number of posts : 12811

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:17 pm

One bad pig - what a stupid name!

I saw them (together with Deliverance) on tour years ago. They put on a decent show, but Deliverance blew them off the stage!
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:29 pm

thejokeriv wrote:

I think that was the point. One Bad Pig were all about humor.

I like this band quite a bit. Saw them live as headliners. Fun show. Favorite song, "Red River".

Metal master
Metal master
shamgar75

Number of posts : 683

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 9:57 pm

Their humor was great.

I got the pleasure of seeing them once at Creation in '92. They had the huge ice cream sundae on stage for I Scream Sunday and they were smashing guitars on Smash the Guitar. They also did a great job with Isaiah 6. Hearing Carey scream was awesome. I got into them from the I Scream Sunday album and collected them all from there.

Love their cover of Johnny Cash's Man in Black with Johnny - how awesome is that!

Lotta love for those guys.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
I saw them (together with Deliverance) on tour years ago. They put on a decent show, but Deliverance blew them off the stage!

Cool...I saw that tour, too...

DELIVERANCE/ONE BAD PIG
Saturday, March 31, 1990
Enloe High School
Raleigh, NC

I graduated in '89 at a different high school, but by chance I saw an ad in the paper under the music section. It said..."DELIVERANCE...Christian Thrash...etc." I was huge into the secular Thrash scene, so a buddy and I ended up going. I had never heard either band at the time. I got a flyer from that show autographed by Brian Khairullah that I still have today. I also still have the issue of Heaven's Metal with VENGEANCE on the cover that I bought that night (preserved in a plastic sleeve). DELIVERANCE blew me away that evening!!

Concerning ONE BAD PIG, though, they were actually pretty cool. A lot of their material was real Thrashy. "You're A Pagan" flat out RIPS, especially during the chorus part. Their songs were catchy and memorable and in retrospect I really dig what they were about.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 10:44 pm

I liked them a lot once upon a time.....clever lyrics.....
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:21 pm

LOVE the Pig! I remember ordering three vinyl copies of A Christian Banned direct from the band when it first came out. You can get it on cd now (as well as all the other cd's except Swine Flew):

http://www.onebadpig.com/_Paraphernalia/_paraphernalia.html
Back to top Go down
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 26, 2008 11:41 pm

They were a lot of fun back in the day. I honestly can't remember if I saw them live or not !! "Smash" came out in 1989 and i might of seen 'em at C-Stone that year if they played it.

I did see "Lust Control" that year... come to think of it, I remember the Pig did play which allowed Q-Pek and Lust Control to play C-Stone ! memory is going great.... Q-pek smashed that pre-cut guitar of his. He was a pretty good guitarist.

"Red River" rocked !
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 1:45 am

Havent listened to them in a long time.I always liked Swine flew a little better than I Scream Sunday.Those are the only two I have.Pretty funny guys.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 8:15 am

Smash! was on heavy rotation back in the day. My brother bought the tape, but I think I listened to it even more than him. He also bought Swine Flew, and I remember liking it, but not as much as Smash! After getting online, I have also bought the bands other releases.

Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:03 am

ultmetal wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

I think that was the point. One Bad Pig were all about humor.

I like this band quite a bit. Saw them live as headliners. Fun show. Favorite song, "Red River".

I know, I was quoting the lyrics from one of there songs Smile
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:05 am

mr.electric39 wrote:
They were a lot of fun back in the day. I honestly can't remember if I saw them live or not !! "Smash" came out in 1989 and i might of seen 'em at C-Stone that year if they played it.

I did see "Lust Control" that year... come to think of it, I remember the Pig did play which allowed Q-Pek and Lust Control to play C-Stone ! memory is going great.... Q-pek smashed that pre-cut guitar of his. He was a pretty good guitarist.

"Red River" rocked !

Is Lust Control the one that had the "this is a condom nation" demo?
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 11:07 am

George wrote:
thejokeriv wrote:

Cool...I saw that tour, too...

DELIVERANCE/ONE BAD PIG
Saturday, March 31, 1990
Enloe High School
Raleigh, NC

I graduated in '89 at a different high school, but by chance I saw an ad in the paper under the music section. It said..."DELIVERANCE...Christian Thrash...etc." I was huge into the secular Thrash scene, so a buddy and I ended up going. I had never heard either band at the time. I got a flyer from that show autographed by Brian Khairullah that I still have today. I also still have the issue of Heaven's Metal with VENGEANCE on the cover that I bought that night (preserved in a plastic sleeve). DELIVERANCE blew me away that evening!!

Concerning ONE BAD PIG, though, they were actually pretty cool. A lot of their material was real Thrashy. "You're A Pagan" flat out RIPS, especially during the chorus part. Their songs were catchy and memorable and in retrospect I really dig what they were about.

I was at that very show! A bunch of us drove down from VA Beach to catch the show!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 5:27 pm

thejokeriv...WOW!! Unbelievable-What are the odds?? If this isn't a case of it being a small world, I don't know what is. Last summer I decided to ride by Enloe HS again just for nostalgia. I rode around to the auditorium's parking lot and sat there a minute reflecting. Time sure flies by. I kept thinking to myself, "I saw DELIVERANCE right here on their first tour at that moment in time, but it could never ever happen again." It's something that happened when the band were 20-21 years old when they were young. For one, everyone got older...families, jobs, etc. Plus, bands don't tour like they did back in those days. Also, the era of Christian bands performing at high schools is long gone. If that were to even be suggested today, the ACLU would be all over that story. Still, it's fun to let your mind take a stroll down memory lane every now and again... Smile

Glad you saw that show. Take care.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 5:33 pm

I've heard a couple of songs on tape compilations and would love to get an album from them if I can find any.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
mr.electric39
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mr.electric39

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 5:39 pm

[quote="thejokeriv]

Is Lust Control the one that had the "this is a condom nation" demo?[/quote]

Yes it is. Paul Q-Pek was the lead guitarist and Doug Van Pelt HM & Heavens Metal author was the vocalist....
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 8:55 pm

George wrote:
thejokeriv...WOW!! Unbelievable-What are the odds?? If this isn't a case of it being a small world, I don't know what is. Last summer I decided to ride by Enloe HS again just for nostalgia. I rode around to the auditorium's parking lot and sat there a minute reflecting. Time sure flies by. I kept thinking to myself, "I saw DELIVERANCE right here on their first tour at that moment in time, but it could never ever happen again." It's something that happened when the band were 20-21 years old when they were young. For one, everyone got older...families, jobs, etc. Plus, bands don't tour like they did back in those days. Also, the era of Christian bands performing at high schools is long gone. If that were to even be suggested today, the ACLU would be all over that story. Still, it's fun to let your mind take a stroll down memory lane every now and again... Smile

It is a small world! That was great show! Back in that year I could go 3 hours in any direction (and catch Deliverance, Barren Cross, Believer, Bride, Armageddon, WhiteCross, Stryper (saw them in an arena on the In God We Trust tour!), Guardian (first with Paul Crowley then with Jamie Rowe!)

Fedricksburg, VA used to have a small place that brought in Christian shows (can't remember the name of the place), so we would drive up their all the time, and drive back right after the show (3 hours each way). That place is now gone. VA Beach use to have a real small place too (called the fire escape).

At the OBP/Deliverance show, I was able to meet the both bands, but spent more time talking to Jimmy Brown. We interviewed him for a small zine myself and some friends had at the time. That was an awesome experience. When you think about how few people where at that show, it's wild to find someone who was at the exact same show!
Back to top Go down
thejokeriv
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
thejokeriv

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 27, 2008 8:55 pm

mr.electric39 wrote:
[quote="thejokeriv]

Is Lust Control the one that had the "this is a condom nation" demo?

Yes it is. Paul Q-Pek was the lead guitarist and Doug Van Pelt HM & Heavens Metal author was the vocalist....[/quote]

Thanks
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 am

Big fan of One Bad Pig, I listen to all their albums regularly (about once every 5 or 6 months.)They dont have a song that I dont like. And I Scream Sunday is as good as the first two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 28, 2008 11:17 am

I saw Deliverance in Greensboro NC in 1990....no OBP though.....a band called Overdrive opened the show....
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 06, 2008 11:53 pm

I just got Swine Flew from Sax recently and its pretty rad. Some of the humor is a little cheesy for my generation...but man, songs like bowl of wrath are too funny! It was like smart humor...their message was awesome too. I need to get the rest of their material sometime.
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 9:11 am

We got to open for them many moons ago, great band & great bunch of guys.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 11:46 am

Hamer12 wrote:
We got to open for them many moons ago, great band & great bunch of guys.

Did you ever tell us what band you were in?

Metal master
Metal master
stevegarveyfan

Number of posts : 613

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 12:09 pm

thejokeriv wrote:
George wrote:

It is a small world! That was great show! Back in that year I could go 3 hours in any direction (and catch Deliverance, Barren Cross, Believer, Bride, Armageddon, WhiteCross, Stryper (saw them in an arena on the In God We Trust tour!), Guardian (first with Paul Crowley then with Jamie Rowe!)

Fedricksburg, VA used to have a small place that brought in Christian shows (can't remember the name of the place), so we would drive up their all the time, and drive back right after the show (3 hours each way). That place is now gone. VA Beach use to have a real small place too (called the fire escape).

At the OBP/Deliverance show, I was able to meet the both bands, but spent more time talking to Jimmy Brown. We interviewed him for a small zine myself and some friends had at the time. That was an awesome experience. When you think about how few people where at that show, it's wild to find someone who was at the exact same show!

What was the name of the magazine?
Back to top Go down
Hamer12
Metal master
Metal master
Hamer12

Number of posts : 828

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitimeTue Oct 07, 2008 1:50 pm

All Axess. We opened for Pig in 1990 I think,It was a one off local show. We never got anything pressed other than a few crappy demos. We mostly played the Ark La Tex area, played in NOLA & DFW quite a few times also. We also opened for Bride in April of 92, also in a 1 off show. We mostly did originals, we also covered Wayward Son, It is Finished by Petra, much heavier than the original, did some Stryper, Barren Cross, Galactic Cowboys & YYZ by Rush. Enjoyed every second of it & hope to do it again some day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: One Bad Pig anyone?   One Bad Pig anyone? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

One Bad Pig anyone?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: