Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SILVERCHAIR

Go down 
+3
Vordul
rattpoison
MetalRob331
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:33 am

i thought it was about time i acknowledged the band that is my biggest influence and the reason i started playing guitar at 15. I seen there video for the song Tomorrow on mtv when i was 15 and was totally blown away at the talent this band had at such a young age (they were 15 and 16 yrs old). I was an instant fan and went out and bought Frogstomp right away. That album along with Freakshow are both in my top 5 rock albums of all time.

Yes this band gets lumped in with the grunge sound and the Nirvana comparisons seem to always come up even though they blow nirvana away in every aspect of music imo. They just recently released a new cd called Young Modern and it strays away from the silverchair sound i grew to love. I wanted to like Young Modern but it just lacks the traits i always loved about Silverchair.

There previous releases are Frogstomp, Freakshow, Neon Ballroom, and Diorama which imo are all top 25 rock cds of all time.. S you can see i love this band so what do you guys think..

Here is the video that started it all for me..

Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

Number of posts : 2682

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:20 am

The Trixter of grunge! Laughing

Their treated like gods down here in Australia. No. 1 albums, clean sweeps of the Arias (Oz's version of the grammy's, actually won more Arias than anyone ever!) and strange universal critical acclaim. And this is all now 13 years after they broke.

I don't get it, the first 2 albums were cut rate Alice In Jam Nirvana. But to be fair what else would you expect from teenagers in 1995. Your only a product of your influences right. At least it isn't as shameless as bandwagon jumpers Bush, who were older and should have known better.

Don't know about the 3rd album to comment on it. Diorama was a big grand bloated affair, lots of string arrangements and the like courtesy of the guy behind the arrangements on those brilliant Beach Boys albums. It fell flat, tried too hard and came off like a C grade Jellyfish! But the critics gushed and praised it. And in a recent mini series on Australian tv that profiled 4 classic Oz albums, Diorama was one of them amongst such classics by the Saints and the Triffids. Pfft!

The recent one Young Modern, retains the string arrangements but is definately not as overblown as Diorama. It's also less 'rockier' so no Sabbath derived power chords anymore. It is really just a less quirkier Diorama. But praise was their again.

Nowadays their is a clear distinction made between the earlier grunge derived albums and the new more 'artistic' albums. Daniel Johns even saying he was a bit embarrased by their grunge derived earlier efforts, and who could blame him.

But then discount everything i've said because i'm biased against this band, due to years of them constantly being shoved down my throat by every media form in Oz telling me how good they are.

If i wan't a band from Newcastle, i'll take the Screaming Jets anyday.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 1:21 pm

i'm to this day still blown away at there first 2 releases. I see no comparison ti Nirvana in there music other then the lyrics imo.

I hope these guys dont feel embarrassed about those cds because thats what brought them all the fame in the world..
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 2:24 pm

I used to have all their albums, but sold "Frogstomp" some time ago. I really loved them and I was 15, too! Well, they really made me listen to Metal now, even if they're not.
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 4:02 pm

I really dig Silverchair. Their first two albums were most definitely grunge ablums. No two ways about it. They did begin to evolve as they matured over the next two album, which is expected, I guess. And I definitely liked what they were doing. Were they bloated? I don't think so at all. Surely they were grandiose for that sort of modern alt-rock/grunge sound, no doubt, but I found that refreshing and interesting.

This latest album, however, is just a disappointment all around. They sound more like Maroon 5 than anything else. It's pure pop, light rock at best. It's unfortunate, too, because they put out some great albums in the past. And while those albums weren't all that original, this new one is about as bland and pedestrian as they come.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 6:10 pm

i agree eyesore they have let a lot of fans down, and even myself who wants to like Young Modern i cant. I think when Daniel was with The Dissociatives that really started the downhill for me..
Back to top Go down
Vordul
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Vordul

Number of posts : 322

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 1:46 am

their new album makes me sick
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2008 4:44 am

well it doesnt quite make me sick it makes me sick that they went in that direction
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 2:30 am

As far as young bands go i think that new band Black Tide is pretty good and their around 16 in age like this band was when they came out. I think it's cool when young kids make pro music.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 2:32 am

troublezone wrote:
As far as young bands go i think that new band Black Tide is pretty good and their around 16 in age like this band was when they came out. I think it's cool when young kids make pro music.

What about that band that was younger than Trixter that came out at the fag end of the metal years. Bad 4 Good was their name, they were like all 14 or 15 years old.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 5:21 am

rattpoison wrote:
troublezone wrote:

What about that band that was younger than Trixter that came out at the fag end of the metal years. Bad 4 Good was their name, they were like all 14 or 15 years old.

The singer was an actor and the drummer is in Bad Religion and formerly in Infectious grooves/ST.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Quote :
The singer was an actor and the drummer is in Bad Religion and formerly in Infectious grooves/ST.

The singer was the little red-headed step child, Sam, on the last few seasons of Diff'rent strokes, when Gary Coleman started growing a mustache. He also had a small role in Teminator 2 as young John Connor's buddy in the beginning of the movie. I remember the guitarist was in a Steve Vai music video (The Audience Is Listening), playing a young Steven. He was supposed to be some kind of child prodigy axe shredder at 10 years old.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2008 11:48 pm

Own the first three; absolutely played the heck out of Frogstomp when I first got it on cassette in the early/mid nineties. 🤘
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:20 am

the sentinel wrote:
Own the first three; absolutely played the heck out of Frogstomp when I first got it on cassette in the early/mid nineties. 🤘

I still play that and Freakshow out to this day both albums are absolute masterpieces imo.
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 1:20 pm

I personally think every album but the latest is outstanding. Maybe the band has put out an amazing...emo pop rock record (what the hell style is the new one?), but it's too outside my realm of tastes for me to judge it fairly. I just don't like it at all.

Good thing I heard the single first, too, because I would have bought this as soon as it hit the shelves. Instead I downloaded it and was glad I did. I would have been so pissed if I paid for that album.

Last edited by on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Love 'em! About the only band from the flannel era that I have always totally dug. Maybe because at the time, they were kids - or maybe because they're Aussie (I love OZ!! I wanna go back so bad..), I don't know. They just had something that the Seattle bands didn't have, that turned my crank. I have not heard the latest, and it sounds like I don't need to - but I have every other album, single, boxset, a few boots, etc. I love the fact that they were doing Minor Threat covers back in the day. Maybe that is why I hold them in such high esteem?
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 2:33 pm

Sugar Ray was also doing Minor Threat and Black Flag covers back in the day. Haha.

Seriously, though, if you don't like Maroon 5, you can skip this new album. Have you heard anything from it?

That's what you can expect. He looks so much like Scott Weiland here. It's sort of weird.
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 3:22 pm

Don't compare Sugar Ray to Silverchair! Although, the first SR album rips!!

No, I have not heard a note, and did not even know they had a new album. Diorama did not do much for me either. I am so not "up" on whats going on now days, outside the new wave of old school thrash. I am still catching up on stuff from 1987!
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 5:04 pm

SAXON1500 wrote:
Don't compare Sugar Ray to Silverchair! Although, the first SR album rips!!
Hell yeah! Lemonade and Brownies is such an awesome album! I thought I was the only one that loved that album. And that album cover rules, too. The promo single for Mean Machine has some cool covers on it, too. The second album was decent, but after "Fly" became a hit, you know what happened. They're one of the few bands that I think truly sold out.
Back to top Go down
rattpoison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
rattpoison

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2008 9:30 pm

Check out the clip for Silverchair's 'If You Keep Losing Sleep' video, the song is bombastic in a good Queen and Jellyfish kinda way. It's the best song i've heard by them. And quite bearable after being consistantly assaulted with their music for so long in Australia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgb9iqO_pv4

Whether you wan't to admit it or not, their growth musically has made them a better more respectable band. Because Silverchair, Bush and a host of others were what was wrong with post Nirvana rock music in the 90's.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:09 am

Eyesore wrote:
I personally think every album but the latest is outstanding. Maybe the band has put out an amazing...emo pop rock record (what the hell style is the new one?), but it's too outside my realm of tastes for me to judge it fairly. I just don't like it at all.

Good thing I heard the single first, too, because I would have bought this as soon as it hit the shelves. Instead I downloaded it and was glad I did. I would have been so pissed if I paid for that album.

i did the same with the new album. When they were announcing that a new song will be played on there website b4 the cd came out i was ecstatic, until i got on there and heard what sounded like a Dissociatives song.

These guys are so talented and creative that at times seem like they're different bands.

That video for If You Keep Losing Sleep isnt bad but its not the Silverchair that i grew to love..

Silverchair>Nirvana
Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:53 am

"'If You Keep Losing Sleep" is a much better song than "Straight Lines." It's not very different from some of the songs on the previous album either, songs like "Across The Night" and "Emotion Sickness," but I don't think it saves the latest album by any means. If the guitar tones were heavier, it'd be a lot cooler of a song.

And he really looks like Scott Weiland now.
Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2008 4:34 pm

emotion sickness is so eerie one of my all time favs from them

Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitimeFri Feb 22, 2008 9:01 am

I like Silverchair I got the first 3 albums

Also got the Godzilla Sndrtk where its got my Fav Silverchair song called "Untitled"
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Sponsored content

SILVERCHAIR Empty
PostSubject: Re: SILVERCHAIR   SILVERCHAIR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SILVERCHAIR
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: