Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal

Go down 
+4
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
mc666
fingers
8 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:54 am

I heard a rumour that when Dimebag Darell first met James hetfield back in 1985/86 James converted dimebag into thrash metal and was responsible of pantera evolving from a Van Halen/Ratt/KISS glammy band into a thrash metal band. Not only that james ripped all of Dimebag's glammy posters of glam/hair metal bands off his bedroom wall and dimebag joining in. Is it really james hetfield could of really of changed the panteras music direction. Obviously at the time thrash metal was becoming more popular and reign in blood had topped the chart in late 1986 and a few other thrash metal bands as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 11:45 am

Dumb. First off, Pantera were never thrash. Second, they were never a glam band. Sure, they had that glam look of the 80s (so did Slayer, by the way), but their music was much more than that. They had some tunes that some could label glam, but overall they were a heavy 80s rock and metal band. Thirdly, and most importantly, they slowly evolved over the course of their albums. All of their albums, from Metal Magic to Reinventing The Steel.

People act like Pantera changed over night. It didn't happen. If you compare The Great Southern Trend Kill to Metal Magic, then you're going to hear two entirely different bands. But if compare the albums in succession, there's nothing shocking about any of it.

The story about James Hetfield seems to be a load of fiction to me.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 2:14 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Dumb. First off, Pantera were never thrash. Second, they were never a glam band. Sure, they had that glam look of the 80s (so did Slayer, by the way), but their music was much more than that. They had some tunes that some could label glam, but overall they were a heavy 80s rock and metal band. Thirdly, and most importantly, they slowly evolved over the course of their albums. All of their albums, from Metal Magic to Reinventing The Steel.

People act like Pantera changed over night. It didn't happen. If you compare The Great Southern Trend Kill to Metal Magic, then you're going to hear two entirely different bands. But if compare the albums in succession, there's nothing shocking about any of it.

Well I sortta exaggerated about Pantera being a thrash metal band but the thing is the first album they did with anselmo wasnt necessarily a thrash album but it had elements sort of Leatherwolf style. Its true they slowly evolved but what I mean to ask is if it werent for Dimebag meeting james hetfield Terry Glaze would probably be on Power Metal and they would of stayed more of a glam metal band than a thrash metal band.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:11 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Sure, they had that glam look of the 80s (so did Slayer, by the way)
pix please. i have never seen Slayer glammed up.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:12 pm

mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I think he's referring to the black eye makeup Slayer wore in the photos on the SHOW NO MERCY album. Which looked more "Alice Cooper" than "Glam" to me, but whatever.

By the way, I also think the James Hetfield/Dimebag thing sounds like a load of hooey.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:16 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
mc666 wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I think he's referring to the black eye makeup Slayer wore in the photos on the SHOW NO MERCY album. Which looked more "Alice Cooper" than "Glam" to me, but whatever.

By the way, I also think the James Hetfield/Dimebag thing sounds like a load of hooey.
oh ok.. yeah. i wouldn't really call that glam either. i was almost looking forward to seeing Kerry King in leopard skin tights & purple bandannas. does that make me gay?

scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:18 pm

Quote :
does that make me gay?

Uh...your gayness has long been established! Razz No Slayer spandex desires surprise us!
Back to top Go down
Smindas
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Smindas

Number of posts : 2546

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:19 pm

A little bit, yes.

And this story sounds like a lie.

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Slayer:

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal ExposedSlayer3
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 6:06 pm

SoldierUnderCommand wrote:
Slayer:

Looks more like NWOBHM than glam to me

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 6:13 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Slayer:

Looks more like NWOBHM than glam to me
that's what i thought...although the zebra shirt is pushing it.

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 6:17 pm

As are the red pleather pants.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 pm

fingers wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Well I sortta exaggerated about Pantera being a thrash metal band but the thing is the first album they did with anselmo wasnt necessarily a thrash album but it had elements sort of Leatherwolf style. Its true they slowly evolved but what I mean to ask is if it werent for Dimebag meeting james hetfield Terry Glaze would probably be on Power Metal and they would of stayed more of a glam metal band than a thrash metal band.
But Pantera were already playing that style on Power Metal before Phil joined. He just brought a heavier vocal style.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:39 pm

I'm not gonna debate the whole Pantera image/sound thing, but the story about James converting Dimebag sounds a little silly to me. Would James and Metallica even know who Pantera was back in '85? At that time, Pantera still would've been a small bar band, wouldn't they?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:40 pm

Okay, not totally glam, but surely not evil. Haha.

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Gayerslayer2

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Gayerslayer3

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Pantera1

There's not a huge difference there. But hey, it was a look. I once had a mullet. Haha.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:41 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I'm not gonna debate the whole Pantera image/sound thing, but the story about James converting Dimebag sounds a little silly to me. Would James and Metallica even know who Pantera was back in '85? At that time, Pantera still would've been a small bar band, wouldn't they?
Yes. Metal Magic only came out in 1984. They were still teenagers then.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 9:59 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 am

Eyesore wrote:
MetalGuy71 wrote:
Yes. Metal Magic only came out in 1984. They were still teenagers then.
correction Metal Magic was released in 1983
Back to top Go down
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Slayer:

whos that with Jeff hanneman it cant be kerry king can it? Slayer werent even around back in1980
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2008 2:17 pm

i have seen a photo before of dimebag with james hetfield and i have also read a -n article saying that dime and vinnie were really into thrash and metallica being there favourite so maybe there is some truth in it but perphaps not as much as made out
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal   James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

James Hetfield converting Dimebag to thrash metal
Page 1 of 1