Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Any Derek Sherinian fans?

Go down 
+4
ultmetal
stepcousin
EvyMetal
GrandNational
8 posters
AuthorMessage
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

Any Derek Sherinian fans? Empty
PostSubject: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 9:19 pm

Last weekend I went to a wedding and my friends date turned out to be keyboard player Derek Sherinian, sitting right across from me at the table. I tripped out knowing his musical history. She had no clue as to who this guy was.

Anyway, Derek has played in bands such as Dream Theater, Yngwie Malmsteen, Alice Cooper, and has played live keyboards for KISS and is currently playing with Billy Idol(!) (According to him, Billy pays him real well).. He's had his own band Planet X and has done a bunch of solo material with Zakk Wylde, who he said was like a brother to him.

It was cool talking to him about Yngwie (major ego but overall cool guy) and KISS (Gene's ego was the so huge the guy is out of touch with the world, his own words) and Alice Cooper (the most humble guy he's worked with). Derek himself was really humble and straight forward guy. Anybody like the music he puts out? You can't deny the artists he's worked with.

http://www.myspace.com/dereksherinian2008

Last edited by on Tue Dec 25, 2007 9:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 9:35 pm

Wow. That's pretty damn cool. I would have loved to meet him. He's a good keyboard player.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 25, 2007 9:39 pm

EvyMetal wrote:
Wow. That's pretty damn cool. I would have loved to meet him. He's a good keyboard player.

Yup. I just put his myspace link also.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 5:45 am

Blood Of The Snake is pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 8:23 am

stepcousin wrote:

I have it. I've added it to my trade list.

That is a cool story though. Did you immediately recognize him or did you realize it was him after he introduced himself?

ult

Last edited by on Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 9:11 am

Very cool story. I always get stuck talking to the geeks I can't get away from at weddings and such.
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 12:52 pm

ultmetal wrote:
stepcousin wrote:

I have it. I've added it to my trade list.

That is a cool story though. Did you immediately recognize him or did you realize it was him after he introduced himself?

ult

It was funny because we first shook hands and he introduced himself. Then for the first two minutes I must have been looking at him like an idiot trying to figure out where I'd seen him before. I told my friends sister that he looked so familiar. And then she says that he plays keyboards for Billy Idol and the lightbulb went off in my head! I probably spent more time talking to the him than he did with his date. Laughing
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 25910

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2007 7:40 pm

Cool story! I have a cd-r copy of Blood Of The Snake and thought it was pretty good.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 10:34 am

That is indeed a cool story. I've heard of the guy, but don't know what he looks like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 10:39 am

Let us not forget Platypus and Jughead. Any chance to play with Ty Tabor must have been cool as hell!!
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 3:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
That is indeed a cool story. I've heard of the guy, but don't know what he looks like.

Check out the myspace link on the original post.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 27, 2007 6:59 pm

stepcousin wrote:

I agree and I believe the best track on there is Man With No Name. While Derik is not my favorite keyboardist (not by a long shot) he is definatly a very talented musician and one of the best keyboardists around.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 6:52 pm

What a cool guy. Today I recieved these items from him in the mail:

Dream Theater - Falling Into Infinity Demos 1996-1997 Official Bootleg (2CD)
Derek Sherinian - Blood of the Snake (Japanese pressing)
In the Summertime single featuring Billy Idol, Slash, Zakk Wylde.

Maybe one day I can hang out with these guys headbanger
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:11 pm

[quote="GrandNational"]Last weekend I went to a wedding and my friends date turned out to be keyboard player Derek Sherinian, sitting right across from me at the table. I tripped out knowing his musical history. She had no clue as to who this guy was.

Anyway, Derek has played in bands such as Dream Theater, Yngwie Malmsteen, Alice Cooper, and has played live keyboards for KISS and is currently playing with Billy Idol(!) (According to him, Billy pays him real well).. He's had his own band Planet X and has done a bunch of solo material with Zakk Wylde, who he said was like a brother to him.

It was cool talking to him about Yngwie (major ego but overall cool guy) and KISS (Gene's ego was the so huge the guy is out of touch with the world, his own words) and Alice Cooper (the most humble guy he's worked with). Derek himself was really humble and straight forward guy. Anybody like the music he puts out? You can't deny the artists he's worked with.

http://www.myspace.com/dereksherinian2008[/quote]

i'm tired of reading the same crap about yngwie all the time....ask sherinian to tell you what yngwie did for him in sao paolo when the brazilians started shouting "osama bin landen"....and sherinian didn't want to go out for encore....

why nobody mentions for example the egos of lemmy, harris, bruce bruce, dio, lars etc?
Back to top Go down
GrandNational
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 06, 2008 12:06 am

[quote="syrus"]
GrandNational wrote:
Last weekend I went to a wedding and my friends date turned out to be keyboard player Derek Sherinian, sitting right across from me at the table. I tripped out knowing his musical history. She had no clue as to who this guy was.

http://www.myspace.com/dereksherinian2008[/quote]

i'm tired of reading the same crap about yngwie all the time....ask sherinian to tell you what yngwie did for him in sao paolo when the brazilians started shouting "osama bin landen"....and sherinian didn't want to go out for encore....

why nobody mentions for example the egos of lemmy, harris, bruce bruce, dio, lars etc?

I don't know if it's just me, but I'm a bit confused at what you're getting at.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:39 am

syrus wrote:

I don't know about you but I hear stuff about the egos of those guys on many occaisions (sic). Heck, even Dio himself admits he has an ego. Maybe the reason why so many people talk about Yngwie having an ego is because he does.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 07, 2008 11:42 am

DallasBlack wrote:
Maybe the reason why so many people talk about Yngwie having an ego is because he does.

I'd have an ego too if I were the best guitarist alive still playing metal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Derek Sherinian fans?   Any Derek Sherinian fans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Derek Sherinian fans?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: