Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What do you all think of the Melvins?

Go down 
+6
MetalGuy71
TheGooch
outofstep
Fat Freddy
mc666
fingers
10 posters
AuthorMessage
fingers
Metal master
Metal master
fingers

Number of posts : 815

What do you all think of the Melvins? Empty
PostSubject: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 6:47 pm

I had a mate who was heavily into grunge tell me about the Melvins according to him they are Black Sabbathx1000 and Nirvana were heavily influenced by them and heres an interesting phenemon just to show how overrated and incompetent Kurt Cobain is he auditioned as a bass player for the band but they rejected him LOL..... What category would you put them in alternative or sludge metal and whats their top albums? Are they any good?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 7:09 pm

Ah, more Kurt Cobain insults. Funny how he actually knew how to write a great song while the Melvins essentially suck. You want overrated? Listen to the Melvins. They would be like Black Sabbath x 1000...if Black Sabbath sucked.
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:17 am

i like the Melvins. i do not think they are Black Sabbath x 1000, nor do i think they are overrated. i just like them.

Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 9:15 am

Heard'em a few times, don't really care for'em tho.
Back to top Go down
outofstep
Metal novice
Metal novice
outofstep

Number of posts : 90

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:02 am

They are decent, but I don't play their material very often. The melvins have always seemed WAAAYYY overrated to me. Now, I do like some of the side projects that some members of the melvins have been involved in over the years, such as Big Business, who's last album is phenomenal.
I saw the Melvins live opening for nine inch nails, and they were just terrible. But, the sound problems mostly stemmed from the fact that the show was in a huge arena. I'm sure they'd sound much better in a small club, where they belong.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:06 am

The name puts me off to be honest. there is just nothing about them thats interests me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:34 pm

TheGooch wrote:
The name puts me off to be honest. there is just nothing about them thats interests me.
surprised
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:42 pm

Never heard anything by them with the exception of a cover tune or 2 that they've contributed to tribute albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 2:27 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Ah, more Kurt Cobain insults. Funny how he actually knew how to write a great song while the Melvins essentially suck. You want overrated? Listen to the Melvins. They would be like Black Sabbath x 1000...if Black Sabbath sucked.

I agree. I like Nirvana. Don't like The Melvins at all.
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm fairly unfamiliar with The Melvins, although I have heard a song or two. I have a cover of KISS' "Going Blind" they did that's well done.

Not a fan of Nirvana.

nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 6:02 pm

Eyesore wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
surprised

now i think about it i have confused even me with that one lol!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40553

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 7:29 pm

Not my thing,really. A buddy of mine likes them,so they got that going for them,I guess
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 3:49 am

I have a couple of Melvins albums, Houdini and Stoner Witch, which were from around 1992-1994, and I must say that I'm quite impressed with both albums except for the last track or so on each which consists mostly of annoying experimental percussion and no actual music to speak of.

While the Melvins wouldn't easily fit into any genre of metal, they certainly did play heavy music that was indicative of an inspiration from metal as well as other sources. Some of their songs, however, would fit into a metal or grunge rotation on a college radio program without attracting any fuss from any but the most diehard purists of each style.

One bit of Melvins trivia that I find interesting is that Shirley Temple's daughter played bass for them (her likeness is included on the back cover of Houdini), but she was kicked out of the band because of her heroin addiction, as hard as that is to believe of a Seattle-area (or close to it) band that influenced so many successful Seattle grunge acts.
Back to top Go down
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 9:43 am

HOUDINI is an excellent disc...

MELVINS were unfairly lumped with the grunge wave...while stylisticlly I guess that's what they were...they were around a LONG time before that...

They can go fom being the fastest playing band you've ever heard to playing so slow it's painful...

And who dared tangle with BUZZ' fro?!?!? I think it's gone now Sad

What do you all think of the Melvins? Buzz

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
mez

Number of posts : 375

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 10, 2007 10:57 am

Shiney wrote:
HOUDINI is an excellent disc...

MELVINS were unfairly lumped with the grunge wave...while stylisticlly I guess that's what they were...they were around a LONG time before that...

They can go fom being the fastest playing band you've ever heard to playing so slow it's painful...

And who dared tangle with BUZZ' fro?!?!? I think it's gone now Sad

What do you all think of the Melvins? Buzz

No I am pretty sure he still has the fro. I seen him in an interview late spring, like May'ish and he still had it there. Course he could have cut it since then.

As far as the Melvins go. I am actually a fan of them. I own every album of theres and the extras, like "Jello Biafra and the Melvins". I think these guys are underated musicians.

With that, they dont take themselves serious enough as far as music goes, they get experimental at times and that can put people off who are not accepting enough of the side of avante garde they can produce. I personally like it, it adds to how good they can be, and they dont always stick to your basic song format, they are not afraid to be different at times. I think they can be very techinical, and I enjoy them very much. They are raw and can give off some stuff that could sound Sabbath influenced, but hardly could be compared to each other at all.

I really like the band and think they are gifted, and they also dont get on the bandwagon of being some great band or whatnot, they just enjoy playing and jamming and messing around. I have seen them live a couple times and they are great but I wish they would drop the overly long jam sessions they break into at times.

If your interested in trying them out, yes Stoner Witch and Houdini are what made them known, but try out others like Pigs of the Roman Empire (very progressive) or Senile Animal and Hostile Ambient Takeover, those last two can have moments of jamming and or a tad experimental moments in the mix but still full Melvins. Stag is pretty user friendly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you all think of the Melvins?   What do you all think of the Melvins? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do you all think of the Melvins?
Page 1 of 1