Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)

Go down 
+11
criss3o
T-Roy
MetalGuy71
Shiney
spiritoradio
Metal Misfit
Tall Tyrion
stepcousin
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
DallasBlack
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Empty
PostSubject: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:36 am

This is a major LONG SHOT, but are there any fans of The News. One of my fondest childhood memories involve music (especially 80's music, which goes to reason). I have already mentioned my love for Billy Joel, John Denver, Kenny Rogers, etc. which had to do with my family vacation. When we went to visit my grandma on my dad's side (the greatest cook ever IMO), we would listen to those bands on our 6-7 hour trips. Close to there was my mom's brother and we would spend a day or two with them as well. One time I spent about a week with my aunt, uncle, and cousins and they would listen to Huey Lewis which began my love for their music. Sorry to ramble on like that but my childhood memories are, so far, my happiest ever.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:41 am

I had high hopes for this forum. :kickbutt:
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:45 am

Eyesore wrote:
I had high hopes for this forum. :kickbutt:

I said it was a LONG SHOT. I'm not expecting much support here, but I was in a semi-sour mood earlier today and one of his songs picked me back up and I've stayed that way since, so I figured I'd see wheter I was alone on this or not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:55 am

I was kidding, bro. Haha.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 8:22 am

Eyesore wrote:
I was kidding, bro. Haha.

I know.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 8:37 am

"I'm sorry guys, but you're just too darn loud."
-- Huey Lewis to Michael J. Fox's band "The Pinheads" in "Back To The Future"

Huey Lewis and the News were not really my thing but I gotta give'em props, they wrote some catchy pop tunes. They were pretty much INESCAPABLE between 1983 and 1985 ... they were constantly on the radio and MTV when that "Sports" album came out... how many singles did they release off of that record, six or seven??
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 8:58 am

One of the few pop artists that I really Like.Always referred to him as cousin Huey because we have the same last name.
Back to top Go down
stepcousin
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stepcousin

Number of posts : 1268

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 10:34 am

Fat Freddy wrote:

Huey Lewis and the News were not really my thing but I gotta give'em props, they wrote some catchy pop tunes. They were pretty much INESCAPABLE between 1983 and 1985 ... they were constantly on the radio and MTV when that "Sports" album came out

I'm kinda the same way, although I like some of thier songs. I kinda got major sick of them in the 80's. I suppose I could hear them again and like it somewhat, for nostagia purposes. I gotta give ol' Huey credit: In the height of his popularity, he totally turned his back on fame and hit singles and started putting out blues-based rock in 1988(?) and never went back to poppy stuff ever again. That takes alot of guts, knowing you will never ever hit the top 40 again and just making music that you can be proud of. Props to Huey.
Back to top Go down
Tall Tyrion
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Tall Tyrion

Number of posts : 3367

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 2:48 pm

I like Huey Lewis. Picture This and Sports were some really tight pop-rock. Good schtuff! cool
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 3:50 pm

I love Huey Lewis & The News. They're one of my favorite pop/rock acts. I have one of their greatest hits, plus Fore!. Strangely, I've never picked up any other albums of theirs...

A big part of it is the nostalgia factor for me: Trouble In Paradise, Stuck With You, The Power of Love, Heart of Rock & Roll.... Classics. I think Plan B was their last album? Came out around 2000 or so? I've heard a few songs from that and it sounded pretty good. Let Her Go and Star Over had that classic News sound. I believe they're working on a new album.

I'm surprised they didn't try to capitalize on Huey's duet with Paltrow when they had the chance.
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 5:57 pm

I love Huey Lewis and the News!! One of my favorite childhood bands. I had the cassettes of Fore! and Small World, along with the Back to the Future soundtrack. I bought the BTTF soundtrack for "Power of Love" and "Back in Time". So yeah, HL&N rules.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
Shiney
Scarred But Smarter
Scarred But Smarter
Shiney

Number of posts : 3487

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 6:15 pm

While I can respect HUEY & THE NEWS....I'd rather listen to HE FABULOUS THUNDERBIRDS....

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Nov 02, 2007 8:49 pm

I dig some Huey Lewis and the News. They're an enjoyable pop/rock band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 10:45 am

This past Memorial Day Weekend, my wife & I were in Baltimore and Huey was playing live at an ampitheater in the inner harbor. We sat on the other side of the canal, and could see right in. Caught most of the show. Huey still sounds great. For an hour and a half, we knew every song but one. These guys had allot of hits.
Back to top Go down
T-Roy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
T-Roy

Number of posts : 4077

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 11:08 am

thrasher73 wrote:
One of the few pop artists that I really
Like.Always referred to him as cousin Huey because we have the same
last name.
Cool, your last name is News?! AWESOME! lol!
Back to top Go down
spiritoradio
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
spiritoradio

Number of posts : 1510

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2007 4:09 pm

T-Roy wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
last name.

HA lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=507304580
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 5:20 am

I Want a New Duck!insane
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:34 am

Sorry but the Harder rock n roll isn't beaten. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:46 am

T-Roy wrote:
thrasher73 wrote:
last name.

lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeWed Nov 07, 2007 7:54 am

Back around '85 when I was in fifth grade, a few friends of mine put together a lip synch band. We made our own guitars from carboard and baseball bats and sang along to songs of the day on special occasions at school. We were called the Zeetaz. Anyway our "show stopper" was If This It by Huey Lewis and the News. We were so good that we decided we going to cut school and make our way to L.A. (from BFE West Virginia) to be on the TV show "Puttin' on the Hits" (anyone remember that one?). Needless to say, we didn't make it. Sad

Just a glimpse into my strange childhood..............
Back to top Go down
criss3o
Metal student
Metal student
criss3o

Number of posts : 176

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2007 5:12 am

Anyone here familar with Clover? That was Huey's 1st band! They had an album in the 70's! Decent Seger style Rock!
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeSun Jun 29, 2008 3:39 pm

I love Huey Lewis & The News!!!

Little tidbit of info for those who might not know this. Mutt Lange actually wrote my favorite song "Do You Believe In Love"? The only changes that Huey made to the song was with the title. It was originally called "I Believe In Love".

Favorite tunes in order:

1. Do You Believe In Love? (Picture This)
2. Walking on A Thin Line (Sports)
3. I Want A New Drug (Sports)
4. Power of Love (Back To The Future)
5. Back In Time (Back To The Future)
6. Jacob's Ladder (Fore)
7. Some of My Lies Are True (Huey Lewis & The News)
8. Heart & Soul (Sports)
9. The Heart of Rock 'N Roll (Sports)
10. Stuck With You (Fore)
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 2:39 pm

On a whim i bought their best of album yesterday at Walmart. Tons of hits on that thing. The actress Gweneth Paltrow did an amazing cover of Smokey Robinson's "Cruisin" with Huey.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2009 5:18 pm

Its hip to be square
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2009 3:49 pm

Troublezone wrote:
On a whim i bought their best of album yesterday at Walmart. Tons of hits on that thing. The actress Gweneth Paltrow did an amazing cover of Smokey Robinson's "Cruisin" with Huey.

I've been wanting to pick this up. I already have two other greatest hits albums, "Time Files: The Best of Huey Lewis & the News", which is good but pales in comparison to "The Heart of Rock 'N Roll: The Best of Huey Lewis & The News" (Import). The problem is, neither of these greatest hits albums are remastered. I've been trying to replace all of my greatest hits albums that I've accumulated over the years, with the better sounding albums that have come out within the last 4-5 years. I just did that with Survivor last week. I picked up "Ultimate Survivor".

The only song that isn't on this latest Huey Lewis & the News greatest hits, and is one of my favorites, is "Walking On A Thin Line". That song should definitely be on there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)   Huey Lewis (don't laugh please) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Huey Lewis (don't laugh please)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next