Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse

Go down 
+5
tohostudios
DallasBlack
Fat Freddy
ultmetal
MetalGuy71
9 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Empty
PostSubject: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 11:48 am

Is anyone familiar with this project? I saw the cd in the used bin the other day and I considered picking it up for Halloween, but decided against it. Is it like Dee's version of Trans-Siberian Orchestra but for Halloween?

Anyone familiar with this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 11:50 am

The samples on the website are pretty weird.

http://www.vanhelsingscurse.com/CMS/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,96/
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:00 pm

I would have snagged it if I saw it in the used bins. Shoot, go back and pick it up and I'll make you a trade for it.

ult

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:05 pm

ultmetal wrote:
I would have snagged it if I saw it in the used bins. Shoot, go back and pick it up and I'll make you a trade for it.

ult

If I can, I might try to stop by on Saturday and get it. From what I viewed on the website, it looks very similair to a Halloween-version of TSO.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:24 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
ultmetal wrote:

ult

If I can, I might try to stop by on Saturday and get it. From what I viewed on the website, it looks very similair to a Halloween-version of TSO.

A "Halloween version of TSO" pretty much hits it right on the head. It's a pretty blatant steal off of TSO if you ask me. The only major difference is that the majority of the Van Helsing's Curse album is instrumentals, whereas TSO use vocalists. Dee comes in at the beginning and end of most tracks as a "narrator" but other than that they're almost all instrumental.
Cool stuff, but it wasn't really a keeper so I traded my copy a while ago
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 12:27 pm

My favorite Dee project is Widowmaker.

That was some good stuff.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 pm

Sounds like something I would like. I must look into that!
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 4:45 pm

Definitely a good used bin buy. I got my copy for $2, but I think $5 or $6 would be worth it. It's a cool little disc. Can't say I think it's a TSO rip-off, though. It's just an orchestral sort of album. Similar, but not really.

Anyway, heard Dee's two tracks from the Strangeland soundtrack before? I can't remember the song, but one of them reminded me of Solitude Aeturnus, and it made me think of how much of a killer voice he has. I wish he'd do something better with it. Dee Snider singing epic doom metal? Hell yeah!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 11:15 am

I picked this up over the weekend. I'm digging it. It's definately a seasonal listening kind of thing, like TSO, although it's could get more spins when I'm feeling in the mood for some dark, creepy, mostly-instrumental type music.

As for the music, it sounds as if they've taken classic metal riffs and other horror movie music then expaned them into orchestral pieces. For example, the song Black Sabbath. They took the upbeat portion of that song, then added their own twist to it. Same with the Halloween Michael Myers's theme.

Dee is only in it as the narrator. He does intros and spoken word pieces to the songs, like Vincent Price in Thriller. He doesn't sing on it.

Judging from the website, this is probably cooler to see in person than to listen to it at home, but it's kinda neat nonetheless. A good find in the used bins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 7:04 am

Pulled this one out today...weird, Halloweeny stuff...I like it...

Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Eyelogo1
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 10:02 am

I have this. Must not have impressed me because I can't remember a thing about it.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 10:05 am

I'll have to dig this one out for Halloween. I forgot I had it.
Back to top Go down
kmorg
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
kmorg

Number of posts : 13862

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 am

I want it!!!! Could never find a place to order it a couple of years ago, when I first learend about its existence.

Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

Number of posts : 118

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2008 7:47 pm

got the live in philly 05 dvd & the cd..forget to watch/listen to them though. now would be a perfect (oct) time.
i believe i got both off the VHC website, to the person above who said they couldn't find out where to order it.
http://www.vanhelsingscurse.com/CMS/
Back to top Go down
Metal Misfit
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Metal Misfit

Number of posts : 3282

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:13 am

Ah, this is really cool sounding. I had heard of 'em, but I just figured it was one of Dee's 90s projects, so I never bothered listening o them. I didn't know it was like this! Definitely ordering this one before the month is up.

So are they still active every October? Seems like a really awesome show.
Back to top Go down
DeathCult
Master Of The Crotch Grab
DeathCult

Number of posts : 6841

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 9:23 am

Never heard this, but I enjoyed Widowmaker alot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathbythrash.com

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 12:10 pm

I'd like to see the DVD, but it isn't sold on their site anymore and EBay resellers are charging 20 bucks. Umm, no thanks.
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeSat Oct 11, 2008 1:12 pm

spectrefate wrote:
I'd like to see the DVD, but it isn't sold on their site anymore and EBay resellers are charging 20 bucks. Umm, no thanks.

the 'midnight syndicate' folks sold me mine--i still had their email on my computer i noticed--i'll ask them if they still do sell it, & what a good link for the DVD order is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 4:21 am

I'll have to dig this out and add it to my instrumental writing soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
vanillaviking
Metal student
Metal student
vanillaviking

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 4:39 am

they emailed me back--here's the link to buy:

http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/vhc.htm
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitimeWed Oct 15, 2008 7:30 am

vanillaviking wrote:
they emailed me back--here's the link to buy:

http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/vhc.htm

Thanks, VK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse   Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dee Snider's Van Helsing's Curse
Page 1 of 1