Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Personal Preference-2

Go down 
+5
Witchfinder
Lari
Gilbert
Troublezone
James B.
9 posters
AuthorMessage
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

Personal Preference-2 Empty
PostSubject: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 1:02 am

1970's Deep Purple or 1970's Rainbow

We got Blackmore as a commonality. With Ronnie/Graham versus Ian/David on vocals.

Let's hear what you have to say!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 3:43 am

Deep Purple!
Gillan is the only person other than Halford to hit those crazy octaves. Child In Time is insanely good!

The albums below are my favorites with Gillan. Burn is cool too, but that is Hughes/Coverdale.

In Rock
Machine Head
Fireball
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 5:38 am

This is hard!

Nowadays, I prefer the Coverdale/Hughes line-up over Gillian. Wish there was more stuff with Tommy B.

Totally dig Paice's drumming. Incredibly fast hands.

Going with Rainbow though... Dio, Cozy, and Ritchie made it work! As short as that was, time well spent (IMHDO)

Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 7:56 am

It’s funny how every band situation (other than Dio’s own band) was very short lived.

A few albums with Blackmore, a few with Iommi, etc…

Was is it the fault of Ritchie and Tony? Or was it Ronnie? Maybe it was all of the above.

Actually, even Vivian Campbell had trouble with Dio.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 8:43 am

Deep Purple. By the way, they are releasing a cover songs album this month:

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 am

Purple has more variety and more material. 7 very important albums. Two absolute masterpieces.

Rainbow did four. But I still like Rainbow more. I can't not pick Rainbow. They were a very important band to me. For my personal preference, I choose Rainbow.

I also think Gillan the NWOBHM band was awesome. I might have to pick that one ahead of Purple, too, if you count the whole 1979-82 era.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 6:05 pm

Rainbow easily.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 7:04 pm

Damn you straight to Hell!!! This thread is an outrage!!! No way can I pick between the two. If I had to, I would probably pick Deep Purple, only because I found them first, and have spent more time with them. But I still say go to hell, go straight to Hell, do not pass heaven, do not collect $666.00! lol!
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 07, 2021 8:33 pm

I am a huge fan of both bands and of all eras, but Deep Purple is easily in my top ten list of favorite bands of all time and their recent albums has seen a creative resurgence in the band, Deep Purple, no contest for me.

Troublezone likes this post

Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 11:59 am

This is a tough choice for me too. I'm going with Rainbow.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 12:08 pm

manny wrote:
I am a huge fan of both bands and of all eras, but Deep Purple is easily in my top ten list of favorite bands of all time and their recent albums has seen a creative resurgence in the band, Deep Purple, no contest for me.
Deep Purple can still be the better band, even if Rainbow had the better 70's output...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 08, 2021 5:15 pm

Gilbert wrote:
Deep Purple. By the way, they are releasing a cover songs album this month:

Do they still have Steve Morse on guitar? Great player!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2021 4:49 pm

Rainbow, and it’s not even close IMO.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Personal Preference-2   Personal Preference-2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Personal Preference-2
Page 1 of 1