Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Echobrain - s/t

Go down 
+2
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
6 posters
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 5:04 pm

I found this cd today at the flea market for a dollar. I recognized the name from the Jason Newsted connection and vaguely remember that it wasn't "metal" and was one of the 1st things Jason did after leaving Metallica. Other than that, I didn't know what to expect, but the price was right.

I'm listening to it right now as I type this and I don't know what to think of it. It's not really heavy, it's a little funky and it's kinda weird. I think it's good music to kick back with and drift off. I'll have to give this one some more spins.

According to the liner notes, Kirk Hammett contributes a guitar solo as does Jim Martin (ex-Faith No More, right?) along with some banjo.

Anyone else heard this?
Back to top Go down

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeSun Oct 21, 2007 11:30 pm

Yeah, I dig both their CDs. Definitely not metal, though. If I remember correctly, these guys were neighbors of Newsted's, and he heard them jamming and dug what he heard, so he helped them out. Definitely a nice trippy kind of modern rock style, but nothing amazing; a bit inconsistent, like they didn't know what style to really settle on. I didn't realize Hammet and Martin did solos, though.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 4:03 pm

I have a friend who collects everything even remotely related to Metallica so he jumped on the Echobrain album when it came out and burned me a copy. Wasn't really my cup o'java, I ended up trading it to someone else if memory serves.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 6:00 pm

I can't stand them. Jason should of went straight to Voivod and avoided this band.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 9:13 pm

I could see why Jason might have got involved with these guys. Coming from the biggest metal band on the planet, this was a chance for Newsted to spread his wings a bit and be more than just a "metal guy". If he was looking to be taken more serious as a musician and do something outside of the norm, this project certainly does that.
Back to top Go down

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeMon Oct 22, 2007 9:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I could see why Jason might have got involved with these guys. Coming from the biggest metal band on the planet, this was a chance for Newsted to spread his wings a bit and be more than just a "metal guy". If he was looking to be taken more serious as a musician and do something outside of the norm, this project certainly does that.
Jason is a total music freak. He's been doing these one-off bands for a long time now. This was no different, really, it was simply the first after Metallica so it got far more press than the others. In fact, remember the Quatro de Pinga (or whatever it was called) project he did in the 90s with some Machine Head and Sepultura dudes? That got a lot of press. I think that's because it was his first thing done outside of Metallica. I don't know. Otherwise all his other projects, none anything more than what the QDP project was, got little to no mention anywhere.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 3:52 pm

troublezone wrote:
I can't stand them. Jason should of went straight to Voivod and avoided this band.

he was done some good stuff for voivod. i remember they did not sound great in that concert clip where they played in some kind of monster the film and the audience was sparse for a band with an ex - metallica memeber
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeTue Oct 23, 2007 11:40 pm

Didn't he have a project called IR8 or something while he was in Metallica that got him into trouble with James?
Back to top Go down

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 2:28 am

troublezone wrote:
Didn't he have a project called IR8 or something while he was in Metallica that got him into trouble with James?
Yep. I paid $150 for that demo, too...and it sucks! lol!
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 2:49 am

Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:

Is that the most you've ever spent on a demo/cd/record?
Back to top Go down

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 3:33 am

EvyMetal wrote:
Eyesore wrote:
troublezone wrote:
Is that the most you've ever spent on a demo/cd/record?
Um...I don't think so.
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:21 am

didnt jason do a project with devin townsend as well
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:38 am

Jason Newsted and David Ellefson seem to have many things in common, they both play bass and they both play with anything that says YES
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitimeWed Oct 24, 2007 7:41 am

Chairman_Smith wrote:
Jason Newsted and David Ellefson seem to have many things in common, they both play bass and they both play with anything that says YES

lol wasnt dave with megadeth for years though
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Echobrain - s/t Empty
PostSubject: Re: Echobrain - s/t   Echobrain - s/t Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Echobrain - s/t
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: