Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!

Go down 
+6
Lari
James B.
Gilbert
Wrecked Neck
Glower
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Empty
PostSubject: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 1:03 am

Rank what is most commonly thought of as the "Big Four. Metallica, Anthrax, Slayer, Megadeth. Put in brackets why.

Fully envision some non-conformists [whom am I to talk???] to blow up this thread with a Big Five, They should be in here, What about Flots? etc etc. I don't give 2 We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! 288219 . Here is mine and why.

1 - Metallica [The Cliff Years. The first 3 Metallica albums defined all else, before anyone else came along and re-defined. Still sleep on my MoP pillow nightly]

2 - Anthrax [Among the Living has incredible sentimental value to me. Played that tape til it warped and bought another. Humor plus social consciousness plus the best riffs Ian ever came up with???? And, yes, I am fully in the Belladonna camp. Not going further with that discussion].

3 - Slayer [I saw Slayer in 86 at First Ave but was more interested in fighting skinheads than listening to the music. Kinda missed the whole thing. Have since downloaded that show and, well, it kinda rules. Next year - I am standing on a 45 foot ladder painting the eaves of a 3 story apartment building in Chanhassan, MN cranking Reign in Blood, high as shit. Almost fell off a dozen times banging my head so fiercely. I understand the significance of that album, and would rank it right under MoP.
Saw them at the Orpheum with Raven opening and Tom Araya did this thing in a break .... well, I can't describe it other than HE FRIGHTENED ME TOTALLY. Got off the Slayer train after that show. Just now, the last handful of years, getting over that TBI and appreciated them more.]

4 - Megadeth [Love Mega-Daves technical prowess. KIMBABIG is still firmly lodged in my top 20 of all time. Still cannot get enough of that album. Plus the stories I could tell you about his time in Minneapolis during that first tour... The next 3 albums bordered on great. Everything since has been average to subpar. Very Samey-Sounding to my ears. Pretty much have not spent a dime on his brand since Risk].

Now, you.
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 2:21 am

1. Megadeth. The best. Killer concerts.

2. Metallica. Early stuff especially.

3. Anthrax.

4. Slayer. Too dark for my taste.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 3:33 am

Slayer: Been a fan since Show No Mercy and they have never let me down. Sure their later material isn't up to par with the early days, but even their worse is far better than most of the new shit kids call music these days. To my ears they have never had a bad release. I'm not in love with every song, but overall I love every album.

Megadeth: To me their music holds up better than the other two not mentioned yet. Unlike my number one, they do have some duds. Their newer stuff is decent, but doesn't blow me away. Dystopia was almost as good as the good old days, but kind of faded about half way through. On a personal note, Megadeth will always hold a special place in my heart for one reason though. My dead stepfather always talked shit about me and my music saying none of them could really plat guitar. How all they did was play chords. Popped in Killing is my Business one day, and that was the end of his shit talking. He sat there speechless and couldn't believe his ears. It was one of those things you just had to be there to understand why I still feel so strongly about it.

Metallica: Even though I absolutely HATE this band now, I still have to rank them higher than Anthrax. Back in the day, i loved them more than Slayer, or at least just as much. I felt betrayed when the Black album came out, but still held out hope they would return to form. Well the rest is history, they still suck and they are dead to me. Only reason why I have them higher than Anthrax is because the first four albums are still great, even though I rarely listen to them anymore. Comparing those against the few Anthrax albums I like, gives Metallica a slight edge over Anthrax.

Anthrax: Absolutely love the Armed and Dangerous ep, Spreading the Disease, and Among the Living. Probably listened to Among the Living more than any other album by any of the big four bands. But that's kinda where my fandom ends on those guys. The next two were okay, but just never did much for me. Checked out on them for quite a while after that, and like some of their stuff after, but it's really hit and miss. Worship Music was good, but still kinda boring after the newness wore off. I still feel they shouldn't be part of the big four, but I get why they are. They were huge for a while, I just think bands like Overkill, Testament, Exodus, and Flotsam and Jetsam are better and way more consistent.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 4:05 am

1- Metallica (their albums up to the black one are outstanding).

2- Slayer (South of Heaven is one of my favourite metal songs ever).

3- Megadeth (Consistent band with some missteps).

4- Anthrax (I mostly enjoy their debut but the rest has that Crossover vibe i tend to dislike).

Now, my personal big four list:

1- Overkill
2- Testament
3- Exodus
4- Slayer
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:24 am

1) Megadeth- Overall body of work
2) Metallica - First 3 albums only
3) Slayer - Early, early stuff on Metal Blade
4) Anthrax- Great songs here and there

3 of 4 from L.A.,seen them all in the clubs, saw 'thrax at Skateway in Jersey

Like Gilbert my personal Big 4...
1) Death Angel
2) Megadeth
3) Overkill
4) Exodus of Kreator

Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:25 am

Not sure. I haven't even heard all the albums. But I did put the ones I have in order last winter when I was listening to thrash:

1. Master of Puppets
2. Reign in Blood
3. Rust in Peace
4. Kill 'Em All
5. Spreading the Disease
6. Ride the Lightning
7. Among the Living
8. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?
9. Seasons in the Abyss
10. ...And Justice for All
11. Youthanasia
12. Countdown to Extinction
13. South of Heaven
14. God Hates Us All
15. Death Magnetic

The rest I don't own. And I'm not actually a huge fan of any of them. I like the top albums well enough, but could easily dump the rest.

I guess if I ever get around to listening to Re-Load or St.Anger or Lulu or whatever, I might have an honest opinion of how I'd rank these bands. A lot of albums by the other three I never listened to either. Somehow Bush does not fit with Anthrax like he does with Armored Saint. And Slayer got too nu for my tastes. I don't even know why I bought God Hates Us All.

Megadeth I could see maybe picking up one of their more recent records, but I don't know. The last one I bought was Youthanasia and I'm near-oblivious to their later output. I have listened to Risk and Dystopia maybe once each, and the others not at all or Youtube singles only.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:29 am

I'm pretty sure I still also have the Black Album. Not sure why it was not on the list. Maybe I gave the CD away?

It's good. Not sure how I'd rank it though. Probably near Youthanasia and Justice.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:36 am

James B. wrote:
1) Megadeth- Overall body of work
2) Metallica - First 3 albums only
3) Slayer - Early, early stuff on Metal Blade
4) Anthrax-  Great songs here and there

3 of 4 from L.A.,seen them all in the clubs, saw 'thrax at Skateway in Jersey

Like Gilbert my personal Big 4...
1) Death Angel
2) Megadeth
3) Overkill
4) Exodus of Kreator

I own 6 Death Angel studio albums and one live release on cd.

Great music. But i need to give this band a fresh spin.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:42 am

Lari wrote:
I'm pretty sure I still also have the Black Album. Not sure why it was not on the list. Maybe I gave the CD away?

It's good. Not sure how I'd rank it though. Probably near Youthanasia and Justice.

I got into Metallica through the Black Album, which is great imho.

An album i still revisit, at least once a year.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 10:34 am

Gilbert wrote:
Lari wrote:

It was one of my first, too.

Megadeth - Youthanasia
Metallica - s/t
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Those were my first three CD's, not sure which order, or even all the same day or something.

I became a much bigger fan of Maiden than the other two. I did like the Black Album a lot, too, but when Load came out and I heard it (my friend bought it), I hopped off the board. So that was not much of a ride.

Megadeth I did get three more of their CD's, and enjoyed them a little longer, but when Risk came out I was out.

Oddly enough, the much-maligned Blaze era of Maiden was a hit with me. I'm a huge Blaze fan to this day.

If I'm trying to really rank the Big Four, based on my experience alone, I think Megadeth is ahead of Metallica. But Slayer tops them both, because I got to see some fun live shows. Anthrax goes... I don't know. I could put them first or fourth. Just not familiar enough with the catalogue and I never saw them live, but based on the ones I do know and like, they are killer. But just not John Bush, maybe.

Very difficult to compare.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 2:37 pm

Lari wrote:
Gilbert wrote:
Lari wrote:

It was one of my first, too.

Megadeth - Youthanasia
Metallica - s/t
Iron Maiden - Fear of the Dark

Those were my first three CD's, not sure which order, or even all the same day or something.

I became a much bigger fan of Maiden than the other two. I did like the Black Album a lot, too, but when Load came out and I heard it (my friend bought it), I hopped off the board. So that was not much of a ride.

Megadeth I did get three more of their CD's, and enjoyed them a little longer, but when Risk came out I was out.

Oddly enough, the much-maligned Blaze era of Maiden was a hit with me. I'm a huge Blaze fan to this day.

If I'm trying to really rank the Big Four, based on my experience alone, I think Megadeth is ahead of Metallica. But Slayer tops them both, because I got to see some fun live shows. Anthrax goes... I don't know. I could put them first or fourth. Just not familiar enough with the catalogue and I never saw them live, but based on the ones I do know and like, they are killer. But just not John Bush, maybe.

Very difficult to compare.

Fear of the Dark was my first Maiden album as well. And a great one indeed.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:04 pm

How's this for "non-conformist":

I'm not really into any of these bands and never have been. I have albums by all but Slayer and like certain songs by all of them but if these are the pantheon of heavy metal then it just proves what I always say: I am NOT a metalhead; I like metal but these bands are not my cup o' tea. When you get to Judas Priest we'll talk... Razz

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 11, 2020 9:30 pm

tohostudios wrote:
When you get to Judas Priest we'll talk... Razz

Judas priest is one of my top five bands. I can't pick between the five on who is number one, but only Slayer from the "big four" is on that list. You're a metalhead though if you like Judas Priest. We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! 604261
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 8:49 am

As old as some of us "metalheads" are, bound to be some rust up thrre?

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 7:34 pm

1. Megadeth (I love everything from them, including Risk
2. Anthrax (not really much to comment on; just a fun band...their KISS covers also get them points in my book)
3. Slayer (I would really like to rank them at 2, but the satanic imagery and gimmickry gets in the way of my enjoyment)
4. Metallica (I acknowledge their appeal and influence, but even the first four albums are a real chore for me to get through in one sitting. I generally like them, but nowhere near as much as the other three of the Big Four)
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 7:43 pm

So much very cool discussion.  But if I have to pick one to quote?  It will always be Toho.

tohostudios wrote:
How's this for "non-conformist":

I am NOT a metalhead; I like metal but these bands are not my cup o' tea.  

Live:

Studio:

Live:

Studio:

CREEPING PEACE!    UK GLAM STYLEE!!!!!!

So glad I can turn on my older brother.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 12, 2020 9:40 pm

Metallica: for the undeniable influence and the prowess of Cliff Burton.

Megadeth: for the overall superior musicianship.

Slayer: for the intensity and Jeff Hanneman’s riffs.

Anthrax: for diversity.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am

Megadeth - Still my favorite over 30+ years and probably the most consistent in that time too. Seen 'em multiple times live and hope to continue to do so.

Anthrax - Probably the first thrash band I got into. Always loved their sense of humor they injected into the way too serious genre. Love the Belladonna and Bush-eras equally for different reasons.

Metallica - Well, the first 4 albums did it for me. After that, meh.

Slayer - I was late to the party with these guys. Even back in the day when my friends were all into the thrash movement, only a few outsiders dug on Slayer. They were too hardcore back then. I dig 'em just fine now. It wasn't till I saw them live in the mid-90's that it really clicked.

PostSubject: Re: We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!   We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

We have been here before, but...DO IT AGAIN!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: