Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hi! I like.....

Go down 
+8
Lurideath
Troublezone
Thrasher73
Fat Freddy
Gilbert
Lari
Wrecked Neck
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 2:36 am

Even the youngsters, here, at the HOM, are getting old.  Reach back.....Freddy....WAAAAYYYY BACK....Ken?  Senti?  Thrasher?  Even Gilbert, who is a newb as far as this post goes....

Do you remember joining one of these boards?  Maybe even this board specifically?   Do you remember what your first post or response regarded?  What year?  How old were you?  Have your tastes in metal changed? Do you think you have changed any HOM VETS' opinions?  The ONE BAND that you MUST post in every thread about?

Cereal.  I think this could be a fascinating discussion.  Until AnthraxFan shows up.  Or, Keith Miller [I am pretty sure NO ONE is old enough to remember that debacle.  He was Baneed [IE: https://heavyharmonies.ipbhost.com/topic/4477-im-baneed/?tab=comments#comment-83419  - so much fun]].

And, just because I feel like it:

So - let us into your life.. Whether it be Kentucky, San Jose, Fresno, Lebanon, shitty Florida [manny], or the next alien landing strip in extreme NE Canada where they are lucky to get any interweb signal on nonconsecutive Thursdays
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 2:49 am

I've actually only signed up to a few music forums before this one. My first one was probably the old King Diamond coven site about fifteen or so years ago? No clue really how long ago it was. Great site with good people, shame it went away.

I was briefly a member on that forces of douche.....I mean steel. Talk about a bunch of ignorant fools that run that shit site. I've had other accounts here and there. Think I signed up at that NWN site, but only posted a couple times.

Lots of gaming sites I used to be a member of. Some sports sites, just baseball. This is pretty much the only forum I visit anymore, lucky you lol Y'all are probably stuck with me until it goes away or I die, whichever comes first. Wink
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 2:57 am

Hope it "goes away" before you do Wrecky. I appreciate your friendship over the years, btw.

Does anyone here remember STIG? The CMR in it's infancy had a huge buzzkill because STIG ran the Vengeance Rising board. This was when boards just became a thing. And Roger Martinez [look him up] flipflopped on Jesus. That is a sane way of putting it. I think, but am not sure cause I drank a lot, that STIG passed. Roger is living on skid row. And Once Dead is Now Dead.

Any other info?

Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 4:23 am

I found the boards via Scott's website. Lurked for awhile. Then found the discussion about Axxis and my first post was in that very Axxis thread.

Before, I posted on the (Ultimate) metal-reviews boards, but that is long, long gone. Same thing there - the website was cool (you can check it out on the Waybackmachine:), so I joined the boards.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 4:25 am

So to finish the sentence in the title...

"HI! I like... Axxis!"
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 4:47 am

I found the board through Scott's famous NLTM website, which i still often visit, in search for info on some specific band/album.

This is the one and only board I have ever joined and still like frequenting. I must admit that i do miss some of the old members, especially Scott, Rene (Krokus) and Kmorg.

Now I follow Scott and Rene on their YouTube channels but would like to see Kmorg coming back and reviving his website (which was great).

On a final note, i agree with Uncle that this board is aging but i hope it will go on for years to come. With such passionate metalheads, i am sure it will headbanger headbanger.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 11:46 am

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Hope it "goes away" before you do Wrecky.  I appreciate your friendship over the years, btw.

Thank you sir, I feel the same. All you guys are pretty cool, though that Freddy guy can get annoying at times lol!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 11:50 am

Quote :
that Freddy guy can get annoying at times

Funny, my wife sez the same thing. Very Happy

Anyway....

Hi, I like Warrior Soul and the Ramones, and will talk about them every chance I get!

Like many of the old goats here, I discovered this forum via Scott's NLTM site back in ... shit, I dunno, 2007? '08 maybe? Good Lord.

As for how much my tastes have "changed," I still like my old school trad/power metal and thrash, but the number of bands I've discovered (both new and old) in those genres thanks to this forum has definitely widened my metallic horizons (and increased my CD collection).

I don't keep my ear to the ground looking for the newest/coolest/most wicked underground stuff anymore like I used to, though. I'm mostly going backwards, either filling in the blanks in my discographies by the old guard (i.e. Sabbath, Motorhead, etc.) or investigating older bands I may have missed out on the first time around. Right now my current obsession is picking up more early Riot stuff.

I also find that I am listening to a lot more thrash nowadays than I did even when it was current -- I chalk that up to getting crankier in my old age.

Likewise, I've also discovered (or re-discovered) a lot of the second and third string sleaze/glam bands I never paid much attention to back in the day like JetBoy, the Throbs, D.A.D., etc.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 4:26 pm

I remember a lot of that stuff Unc! I remember Stig, Heath bar, and that whole mess. I remember when Shiney posted regularly here(miss him but I keep in touch through Facebook). I miss a lot of the old crew like Kmorg, Ult, Arttie, Krokus, Sovdat, etc.
I think it was a Messiah Prophet thread that was my first post here. I can’t remember the details but anyway I know everyone was cool and welcomed me right in. Ahh the good ol ezboard days!
My tastes haven’t changed much. Still dig Thrash, sleaze, hair or whatever. There are several bands that you can bet I’ll always chime in on like Dangerous Toys, Tora Tora, Stryper and pretty much any Thrash band.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17155

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 05, 2020 4:38 pm

I remember joining this community at the very tail end of the old Heart of Metal board before it switched to this one (late 2006). I remember Stig on the VR website. And he would occasionally show up at the CMR too. He seemed like “the devil’s advocate” kind of guy.
Back to top Go down
Lurideath
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Lurideath

Number of posts : 3906

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 12:03 am

I am one of the vets of the board. I remember when all that arguing and banning happened. LOL

I knew of the board because of the CMR and when I got sick of that moronic shit I had to deal with, I came here and have never left.

Can't remember anything about my 1st post or anything though.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 1:44 am

My first post was about Ultimatum cds. Those were such a hard task to get. A couple of them even cost me around 50$ each, to reach my shores.

But I don't regret buying those. Still some of the best metal to ever grace my car stereo.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 1:55 pm

My profile says I joined here in February of 2007. Like others, I'm pretty sure I discovered this via Ult's review site. I've only been a member of 2 other now-defunct music sites and have very little social media presence.

I still like what I like. I don't buy nearly as much as I used to and when I do, I stick to tried and true bands instead of looking for something new or the "next big thing". And I'm just as cranky and irritated as I get older.

I've seen members come and go. Some I miss, some I don't. Some of the drama was fun, some was a pointless waste of time.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 5:59 pm

Hi, I like...Metal. Hair. Power, Thrash. NWOBHM

Like many others here, I found this board through NLTM and then lurked for a bit before joining in February of 2007. It's been a hoot from the start. I remember the crash, the purge, when this place was super active a decade ago. I have seen a lot of people come and go (Ult, Kmorg, Krokus, Spec, OCI. JState, ROB, Shiney, Sovdat,  to name a few); and the whole debacle of Painkiller and Anthrax fan.

This is the only (music) message board I have ever joined, tbh. I read stuff on Sleazeroxx and HH every now and then but never felt like joining. I have gotten to know some of you very well over the years (enough to buy sell and trade with and share some of my life with through PM) and have come to truly like, respect, and care about you guys.

One of the things I have always loved about our little corner of the internet is I have always felt accepted and respected, I never felt like I had to prove my love or knowledge of Metal to anyone here, and that goes a long way with me.

I don't remember my first post here or what it was about. Is there a way to look that up?

Another thing I can tell ya' all that before I joined in 2007, I wasn't yet a Raven Lunatic or owned anything by Saxon. I also didn't know about Shok Paris, TT Quick, or Vicious Rumours until I got here. And my love of all things Motorhead has grown exponentially.

I remember when there was talk (way back) of an HoM weekend in Vegas!!!
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 7:00 pm

I joined the board in 2008. 

I'm old so I have no idea how I got here or what my first of now almost 30,000 posts here was.  Probably something about how much I hate Journey and/or Dave Matthews Band.

As far as tastes changing or evolving since then I'd say mine have changed pretty drastically.  Back then I was all about symphonic metal (esp. female-fronted symphonic metal) and power metal.  I remember citing Nightwish and Blind Guardian as favorite bands.  I NEVER listen to those bands now and barely listen to that style at all - Therion being the one exception. 

I've been "Mr. Sleaze Rock" for about the past 6 or 7 years and barely listen to anything that anyone here would consider "metal" anymore (except for Iced Earth which I still listen to occasionally).

But I've been here so long and made quite a few "virtual friends" here that even though our tastes in music may have diverged I still like to drop in and see what everyone's listening to, watching and generally doing. 

So as others have said, this board is probably stuck with me until it finally goes under or I do.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 8:14 pm

I am with ya on the dislike for Dave Mathews, but not Journey!!! angry
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:15 pm

tohostudios wrote:
This board is probably stuck with me until it finally goes under or I do.

So....we got, at least another couple of weeks of Toho. Raise em up to the LA RAMS!!
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:31 pm

In the words of Dr, Peter Venckman: "I am gonna miss him! I should get him a nice fruit basket." Laughing
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 pm

tohostudios wrote:

So....we got, at least another couple of weeks of Toho.  Raise em up to the LA RAMS!!

Ohhhhh...Them's fightin' words!!!!!  The worst word you can utter around these part is "Rams".

Not much unites the St. Louis area but hatred of Stan Kroenke and the "LA Rams" is one of 'em.

Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 11:14 pm

I joined in 2007 shortly after the board started and I found out about it on NLTM. I had been reading Scott's site for years before that. (Anybody remember Lord God Space's very similar website?)

Prior to that I had posted on the Bravewords Braveboard and Hardradio.com. Hardradio was good for a while but had little staying power and the Braveboard was very cliquish and Canadian-centric and the posters seemed to all be at least a decade younger than me. It wasn't bad but not a great fit. HOM was a perfect fit thankfully and I've checked in here nearly after day since 2007.

I remember my first post was about all the things that I thought sucked like acoustic albums and concept albums. Needless to say, there were some not so happy board members when I posted that. Lol.

I don't think my tastes have changed much in the 13 years I've been here. I'm still a huge NWOBHM and traditional metal fan, Judas Priest is still my all time favorite band and I still think concept albums are lame.

I doubt I'll ever stop coming here until they pull the plug on this place or me. I am bummed that message boards are old dinosaurs now because I don't think social media sites like Facebook are a good replacement. There's an institutional memory here that can be searched and consumed unlike a Facebook feed which is ephemeral.

Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 06, 2020 11:49 pm

tohostudios wrote:
tohostudios wrote:

So....we got, at least another couple of weeks of Toho.  Raise em up to the LA RAMS!!

Ohhhhh...Them's fightin' words!!!!!  The worst word you can utter around these part is "Rams".

Not much unites the St. Louis area but hatred of Stan Kroenke and the "LA Rams" is one of 'em.

Why the hell else would I bring up that lame ass situation, To-2-da-Ho? We Midwestern "flyover [still hate that term] state peeps" gotta stay together. You probably have no reference here, but if you google the most hated man in Minnesota? I guarantee you it will be Norm Green [or - Norm "Greed" as we call him] . Except, Minnesota is all about hockey. Imagine a POS that has dozens of sexual assault allegations against him selling a Minnesota Hockey Team to the rednecks in Dallas, just as the authorities are investigating said claims. Apologies. This scrapes my sentimental bone raw. As I am sure the Rams f'd up deal does you, homey.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 12:47 pm

I don't recall too many specific bands I discovered through here, although I'm sure there's plenty. I do recall however learning of 2 entire genres of metal, thanks to the folks here.

Prior to me joining the boards, I never knew Christian metal as its own separate genre existed. Sure, I knew of Stryper and their bible-throwing antics, but Christian metal, glam and thrash? Never knew it existed.

The other was doom metal. Now, unlike Stryper, I did know some bands that would be labelled doom, but it wasn't until I joined here that I discovered it was an entire genre of metal that was just based on slow, sludgy riffage.

My fascination with Christian metal has subsided greatly over the years, but I still loves me some DOOOOOOOM!

King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 6:21 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
I don't recall too many specific bands I discovered through here, although I'm sure there's plenty. I do recall however learning of 2 entire genres of metal, thanks to the folks here.

Ya know who here turned me on to a LOT of bands???  Remember rattpoison???

In fact that dude is probably the reason I became the sleaze-head I am today (with an assist from Shiney).

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 8:00 pm

I remember rattpoison. IIRC, he was a bit younger than us but really knew his stuff.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 09, 2020 1:02 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I remember when there was talk (way back) of an HoM weekend in Vegas!!!

This actually happened.  It just detoured to Minneapolis.  Deathcult, Spec, Sideshow, and others attended one mind bending weekend.  I guess the statute of limitations must be up by now, but does anyone remember the uproar on BW&BK about someone making off with Robb Reiner's cymbals?  Caused quite a stir at the time.  I am very sure the bandit is not sorry...

Hi!  I like..... 13363410
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hi!  I like..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hi! I like.....   Hi!  I like..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hi! I like.....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: