Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Comedians

Go down 
+14
Addy
Hadley
Leatherface
mc666
Witchfinder
Troublezone
Required Fields
MetalGuy71
the sentinel
tohostudios
DallasBlack
Thrasher73
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Fav of my favs of these?
Emo Phillips
Comedians Vote_lcap5%Comedians Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
Louis CK
 5% [ 1 ]
Doug Stanhope
 5% [ 1 ]
Mitch Hedburg
Comedians Vote_lcap20%Comedians Vote_rcap
 20% [ 4 ]
Norm McDonald
Comedians Vote_lcap55%Comedians Vote_rcap
 55% [ 11 ]
Margaret Cho
Comedians Vote_lcap0%Comedians Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Brian Posehn
 5% [ 1 ]
Sarah Silverman
 5% [ 1 ]
Nick Kroll
 0% [ 0 ]
Aziz Ansari
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 20

AuthorMessage
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 3:08 pm

So, in the early 90's, my first wife was a hostess at the world famous Acme Comedy Company in Minneapolis.  I lived in a flat in a renovated freight house right behind the club.  So I basically lived at that club for years.  I saw sooooooo many up n coming comedians that went on to be big time.  Still in love with live comedy to this day and hit a club in whatever city I end up in.

So, I have left out the Mega Stars like Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Richard Pryor, Lenny Bruce, etc and just listed 10 of my favs that I have personally seen at the club level.  

BTW, my vote goes to Stanhope.  Got his start in Minneapolis.  Been my hero ever since and always will be.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 5:15 pm

Gotta go with Mitch! Loved his delivery and laid back, (stoned) presence.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
Gotta go with Mitch! Loved his delivery and laid back, (stoned) presence.

Another Twin Cities guy. One of my close comedian buds, Michael Thorn, was with him the night before he passed. Crappy deal.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:04 pm

The only one I ever heard doing stand up on that list is Norm so I will go with him. Been watching the Drew Carey show and he's been a guest a few times.

My favorites (I will also exclude the mega stars) were John Pinette (RIP), Steven Wright, and one of the best "clean" comedians Brian Regan:

Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:17 pm

I have seen performances by about half of those people and the ones I've seen have all been funny enough; wouldn't call them favorites but at least entertaining.  The one exception would be Emo Phillips.  Good grief; I've never found that guy even entertaining much less funny.

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 7:36 pm

TBH, not really a fan of any of those except Stanhope and Posehn. I went with Brian. My comedy heroes would be Bill Hicks, Jon Pinnette, Dom Irerra, Robin Harris, and Dice and Kinnison. I know half the list is dead, but, these people slayed me in the '80's and '90's,
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:19 am

Gonna go with Norm MacDonald. He's just so bizarre. His talk show on Netflix is great. Mitch would be a close second though.

Louis CK would have been up there, but in light of his former "habits", it's hard to watch him anymore. Brian Posen is pretty good and he's metal as f**k.

Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 3:59 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
The only one I ever heard doing stand up on that list is Norm so I will go with him. Been watching the Drew Carey show and he's been a guest a few times.

My favorites (I will also exclude the mega stars) were John Pinette (RIP), Steven Wright, and one of the best "clean" comedians Brian Regan:

Yes Brian Regan is hilarious! I remember the first time I saw him on Comedy Central, I laughed so hard I was crying.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 4:18 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:

Yes Brian Regan is hilarious! I remember the first time I saw him on Comedy Central, I laughed so hard I was crying.

Yes, he is a riot! I think my absolute favorite bit is the one about the Emergency Room:

Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28392

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 6:17 pm

Norm Macdonald.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17062

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 6:26 pm

Norm Macdonald is hilarious! He’s totally underrated.
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 6:46 pm

Troublezone wrote:

And, from what his friends say? The sweetest guy in comedy. Dennis Miller can F off for what he did behind the scenes to Norm [and, basically, everything else that POS has attempted since then]. And, Norm knows where his bread was buttered 15 years ago. You're not going to get him to speak about his and King Miller's disputes publicly. But, Dennis Miller is a cut throat. And, a hack, if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 9:47 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

And,  from what his friends say?  The sweetest guy in comedy.  Dennis Miller can F off for what he did behind the scenes to Norm [and, basically, everything else that POS has attempted since then].  And, Norm knows where his bread was buttered 15 years ago.  You're not going to get him to speak about his and King Miller's disputes publicly.  But, Dennis Miller is a cut throat.  And, a hack, if you ask me.

I musta missed this. What did Dennis Miller do to Norm? I used to think Miller was funny, but the last time I checked, he's just a shill for the Republican party these days.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 10:37 pm

What I heard firsthand was Miller was buds with some bigshot at NBC. Name escapes me. But when Norm was doing Weekend Update, he said something negative about NBC or conservatives or something. Forgive my absent mind.. Regardless, Miller bitched to NBC bigshot whom bitched to Lorne Michels whom, I guess, felt like he needed to fire Norm immediately. Really sidetracking a good dude's, and a sensational comedian's, career. Forgive me for not having the capacity to rtemember the whole story. But, I can tell ya I was sitting at the bar in Rochester, Minnesota immediately after I moved back from shitty Tampa - 97? 98?, and discussed the state of affairs with Jim Short about SNL. My attention to detail sucks. But, from what I took from that convo, Dennis Miller is a dick and Norm got screwed.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 11:22 pm

He seems to get along with Miller fine.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeTue May 19, 2020 11:44 pm

Taken from Wikipedia...

In early 1998, Don Ohlmeyer, president of NBC's West Coast division, had Macdonald removed as Weekend Update anchor, citing declining ratings and a drop-off in quality. Macdonald and others believed that the real reason for his dismissal was his series of jokes calling O. J. Simpson a murderer during and after the trial; Ohlmeyer was good friends with Simpson and supported him during the proceedings.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 6:57 am

Norm MacDonald for sure.
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7608

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 8:29 am

Norm MacDonald for me too. I even saw Dirty Work in the theater when it came out. Judging from the box office I think only myself and Norm's parents saw it in the theater. Lol.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39398

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 8:50 am

Witchfinder wrote:
Norm MacDonald for me too. I even saw Dirty Work in the theater when it came out.  Judging from the box office I think only myself and Norm's parents saw it in the theater. Lol.

Laughing Dirty Work is an hilarious film!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 11:45 am

007 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:
Norm MacDonald for me too. I even saw Dirty Work in the theater when it came out.  Judging from the box office I think only myself and Norm's parents saw it in the theater. Lol.

Laughing   Dirty Work is an hilarious film!

I just watched it last night. Lol

One of the better SNL related movies.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 4:50 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Taken from Wikipedia...

In early 1998, Don Ohlmeyer, president of NBC's West Coast division, had Macdonald removed as Weekend Update anchor, citing declining ratings and a drop-off in quality. Macdonald and others believed that the real reason for his dismissal was his series of jokes calling O. J. Simpson a murderer during and after the trial; Ohlmeyer was good friends with Simpson and supported him during the proceedings.

That's the story I've heard, directly from Norm himself when he was on the Stern show back in the day. Olhmeyer told Norm to lay off of his friend OJ, which just caused Norm to ramp things up even more every weekend on SNL, which eventually got him fired. Weather Dennis Miller had anything to do with that is unknown to me.

Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 4:52 pm

Witchfinder wrote:

I think I saw that in the theater too. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeWed May 20, 2020 11:30 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Witchfinder wrote:

I think I saw that in the theater too. Wouldn't mind seeing it again.

Saw it with my best friend Erik at the theater back in high school. We both loved it!
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 12:38 am

From the list provided Hedburg, hands down. I'd rather see some Bill Burr or Hannibal Buress though. Still love old Dice, & Patrice as well.

Leatherface
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Leatherface

Number of posts : 18880

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitimeThu May 21, 2020 2:10 am

Of the ones listed, I choose Norm. My favorites are actually Nick Dipaolo and Gary Mule Deer. I also like Jay London too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/rickcaudill2
Sponsored content

Comedians Empty
PostSubject: Re: Comedians   Comedians Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Comedians
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: General Forums :: Of Unsound Mind-
Jump to: