Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6

Go down 
+11
mikeinfla
nevermore
Required Fields
Wrecked Neck
Troublezone
Gilbert
metalinmyveins
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
Lari
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Which one of these is best?
Somewhere in Time (1986)
Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_lcap61%Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_rcap
 61% [ 11 ]
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_lcap33%Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_rcap
 33% [ 6 ]
No Prayer for the Dying (1990)
Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_lcap0%Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Fear of the Dark (1992)
Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_lcap6%Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Vote_rcap
 6% [ 1 ]
The X-Factor (1995)
 0% [ 0 ]
Virtual XI (1998)
 0% [ 0 ]
Brave New World (2000)
 0% [ 0 ]
Dance of Death (2003)
 0% [ 0 ]
A Matter of Life and Death (2006)
 0% [ 0 ]
Final Frontier (2010)
 0% [ 0 ]
Book of Souls (2015)
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 18

AuthorMessage
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Empty
PostSubject: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 3:55 pm

1. Powerslave (1984) 25% votes
2. Killers (1981) 20% votes
3. The Number of the Beast (1982) 39% votes
4. Iron Maiden (1980) 32% votes
5. Piece of Mind (1983) 44% votes

The first five albums take the first five spots. A little bit of conservative voting, but that was some five year run they had, ending with Live After Death, capturing the band at their peak.

Anyway, who is number six?

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 4:53 pm

Seventh Son dammit!

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40560

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 6:18 pm

Somewhere In Time gets my vote now.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 6:34 pm

I can't believe both Dianno albums are so high, his voice holds them back imo.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 7:04 pm

My top 6 would be: #1 s/t, #2 Number of the Beast, #3 Powerslave, #4 Somewhere In Time #5 Piece of Mind #6 Killers

Since, "Somewhere In Time" still on the board, I will go with that.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 28, 2019 11:37 pm

Fear of the Dark.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 am

There’s no way the first Maiden album is better than Somewhere in Time! At this point, I know these polls just don’t align with my opinions. Di’Anno is definitely way better than Blaze, but he’s nowhere near Bruce’s classic 80s albums. And I can’t believe Piece of Mind also got a lower rank than the debut. WTF!  insane
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 12:44 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I don't think so at all. I love his voice, and Bruce kind of grates on my nerves in large doses. Wish they would have kept Paul to be honest.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 1:16 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:
I don't think so at all. I love his voice, and Bruce kind of grates on my nerves in large doses. Wish they would have kept Paul to be honest.

It’s wasn’t really an option...
Paul’s voice has been crap since the 80s, and it’s well documented that he’s a bit crazy and has been in trouble with the law many times. I also don’t think he would get along with the other guys (especially Steve). Without Bruce, they wouldn’t have as big of a global following. Paul was great for when they just played the bar circuit... but he’s not really an arena level singer.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 2:17 am

Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

Paul’s voice has been crap since the 80s, and it’s well documented that he’s a bit crazy and has been in trouble with the law many times. I also don’t think he would get along with the other guys (especially Steve). Without Bruce, they wouldn’t have as big of a global following. Paul was great for when they just played the bar circuit... but he’s not really an arena level singer.
I don't rank a band because they play to bigger crowds, I rank their music. I'm sure being kicked out of the band had a lot to do with Paul going down the road he went. His voice wasn't shot when he was still a member. I'm sure after he got the boot, he probably didn't give a rat's ass about his voice. And yes I know they went to another level when Bruce joined, but nobody knows for sure they wouldn't have reached the same level with Paul. Look at Metallica. Would you call James Hetfield a great singer? Me either, and yet he's the frontman to one of the biggest metal bands in the world. People always say Bruce is the reason Maiden got so big, but that's all just a bunch of crap, because you can't prove that.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 5:22 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I don't rank a band because they play to bigger crowds, I rank their music. I'm sure being kicked out of the band had a lot to do with Paul going down the road he went. His voice wasn't shot when he was still a member. I'm sure after he got the boot, he probably didn't give a rat's ass about his voice. And yes I know they went to another level when Bruce joined, but nobody knows for sure they wouldn't have reached the same level with Paul. Look at Metallica. Would you call James Hetfield a great singer? Me either, and yet he's the frontman to one of the biggest metal bands in the world.  People always say Bruce is the reason Maiden got so big, but that's all just a bunch of crap, because you can't prove that.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the albums with Di’Anno. But look at what they did right out of the gate when Bruce joined. Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind. I think both of those albums are significant strides better than the two Paul albums. And as far as Hetfield and Metallica... I think the main attraction for their fans was the heaviness and speed of the music more than impressive vocals. Hetfield has (or had) one of those voices that just “works well” with the music. Just like Ozzy or Bon Scott, it’s more the tone or sound of his voice than the skill or ability. And regarding Metallica’s status as the “biggest metal band”... that had a lot to do with four amazing albums and touring their asses off for many years. They built a mega (no pun intended) fan base. Maybe that and just being in the right place at the right time.

Now getting back to Maiden... I’m guessing that if they continued with Paul, they wouldn’t have been much bigger than a band like Thin Lizzy.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 11:46 am

I like Seventh Son of a Seventh Son best of the albums remaining.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 29, 2019 5:14 pm

Somewhere In Time gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 am

Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Troublezone wrote:
Wrecked Neck wrote:
Dark Horseman wrote:

I don't rank a band because they play to bigger crowds, I rank their music. I'm sure being kicked out of the band had a lot to do with Paul going down the road he went. His voice wasn't shot when he was still a member. I'm sure after he got the boot, he probably didn't give a rat's ass about his voice. And yes I know they went to another level when Bruce joined, but nobody knows for sure they wouldn't have reached the same level with Paul. Look at Metallica. Would you call James Hetfield a great singer? Me either, and yet he's the frontman to one of the biggest metal bands in the world.  People always say Bruce is the reason Maiden got so big, but that's all just a bunch of crap, because you can't prove that.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the albums with Di’Anno. But look at what they did right out of the gate when Bruce joined. Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind. I think both of those albums are significant strides better than the two Paul albums. And as far as Hetfield and Metallica... I think the main attraction for their fans was the heaviness and speed of the music more than impressive vocals. Hetfield has (or had) one of those voices that just “works well” with the music. Just like Ozzy or Bon Scott, it’s more the tone or sound of his voice than the skill or ability. And regarding Metallica’s status as the “biggest metal band”... that had a lot to do with four amazing albums and touring their asses off for many years. They built a mega (no pun intended) fan base. Maybe that and just being in the right place at the right time.

Now getting back to Maiden... I’m guessing that if they continued with Paul, they wouldn’t have been much bigger than a band like Thin Lizzy.
The point is, nobody knows how much of an impact Bruce brought, or if they would have gotten just as big with Paul still singing. Just because Bruce joined doesn't automatically mean that's the reason they got so popular. It could be, and is a ton of things IMO. Yes Bruce is a phenomenal frontman, but metal in general exploded right about the time he joined. If a band like Quiet Riot can become as big as they did because of a cover tune, then there is no reason to doubt that Maiden wouldn't have still blown up. Let's not forget, the main band member that got most kids attention back then was Eddie. And if memory serves, they weren't really huge after NotB came out, and were still supporting other bands for that tour.

Either way, I'm a fan of both singers. I tend to like Paul better though, and feel he doesn't get the respect he deserves.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 6:20 am

7th Son, although by this time I had moved on from Maiden. Somewhere In Time killed the band for me until the live album "A Real Dead One". Then I didn't buy any more Maiden until X Factor (out of curiosity) and quickly traded it off and moved on again until Brave New World. Somewhere In Time has a couple of good cuts which appear on some of the live albums and that's enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 9:35 am

I thought I liked you Mike. lol!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 11:16 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
I thought I liked you Mike. lol!

He needs an intervention. Razz
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 11:48 am

Someday I will have to revisit Somewhere In Time. Haven't heard it in ages but just never got into it at all.

Top 5
Piece Of Mind
Killers
Beast
Self Titled
Matter Of Life & Death
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeWed Oct 30, 2019 7:25 pm

You have AMOLAD as a top 5 so I forgive you.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 6:11 am

Dark Horseman wrote:
You have AMOLAD as a top 5 so I forgive you.
When it came out I bought the deluxe edition from best Buy which came with a bonus DVD and Eddie patch. When I opened it there was NO cd, only the DVD so I had to take it back and swap it out. I love that album, long, epic and all decent tunes. I was disappointed when Final Frontier came out. Have never listened to it all the way thru. The opening track kills it for me, the beginning of the song is way too long and drawn out. Also bought the deluxe version of that one that came in a metal tin. I'll have to play that one again sometime and see if it is any better than I remember but I just skipped thru the songs and didn't care for it at all.
Back to top Go down
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 5:50 pm

My top 5 would be easy. Just go in Chronological order. I have liked each album a little less from the very beginning.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 9:18 am

.don't dig much maiden after Somewhere In Timd....

1)the one with Flight Of Icaruz
2)the one with Wrathchild
3)the one with To Take a Land
4)the one that came out in 1980
5)Maiden Japan

Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Th?id=OIP.Mf8_L3e01kyREFChW4XK_gEsDG&w=299&h=198&c=7&qlt=90&o=4&dpr=1.25&pid=1
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 10:25 am

Went with Seventh Son. It’s a toss up between it and Somewhere in Time for me.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 2:06 pm

Yeah, I was hoping 7th Son was going to overtake SIT, but that's not happening. Next poll will be up momentarily. 

You folks are aware you don't HAVE TO vote in chronological order?  just kidding

I am only lukewarm to Somewhere in Time. The synth guitar sound is not their finest moment. I personally don't like it at all. But I can't deny the songs are good. Well, most of them. Deja Vu sucks! One of the worst Maiden songs.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 11:59 pm

Lari wrote:
Yeah, I was hoping 7th Son was going to overtake SIT, but that's not happening. Next poll will be up momentarily. 

You folks are aware you don't HAVE TO vote in chronological order?  just kidding

I am only lukewarm to Somewhere in Time. The synth guitar sound is not their finest moment. I personally don't like it at all. But I can't deny the songs are good. Well, most of them. Deja Vu sucks! One of the worst Maiden songs.

Same reason I didn't like it. I remember the year before I saw Bruce in an interview and he said "you can't play heavy metal with a synthesizer". Then I heard SIT and agreed Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6   Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Let's rank Iron Maiden, #6
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next