Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stryper's setlist on their history tour...

Go down 
+7
Fat Freddy
Troublezone
martinsane
scottmitchell74
metalinmyveins
Dark Horseman
Big Rich
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

Number of posts : 677

Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Empty
PostSubject: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 10:14 am

Recently Stryper played an hour from my house. And after seeing them 13 times, I skipped this one. Not because I've seen them too much.

But because they had 8 cover songs in their setlist. 8? I got annoyed when they did 3. How can a band that has 10 albums of their own shit play 8 covers in an hour and a half? Ever since they got praise for The Covering, Michael has been cover happy.

Just stop.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 10:39 am

Is that true? If so it tells me they're getting lazy.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 10:57 am

Unless it was a tour dedicated to playing covers, I would be pissed at any band pulling this crap. Eight covers from a band that has that deep of a discography is absolutely disgusting!
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 6:36 pm

metalinmyveins wrote:
Unless it was a tour dedicated to playing covers, I would be pissed at any band pulling this crap. Eight covers from a band that has that deep of a discography is absolutely disgusting!

"Greatest hits and covers that influenced our generation history tour"

Dark Horseman wrote:
Is that true? If so it tells me they're getting lazy.

This.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2019 7:14 pm

Yeah, gross.
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Yea unless they did like a 3 hour set than hard pass.

I never understood the hype with real good bands with lengthy discogs ending a set with a cover encore?

Let alone an hour with 50 minutes of covers. Yuck.

However if they did a normal set covering all there goodness and snuck in Shining Star then heck yea!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17151

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 4:11 am

From the recent interviews with Michael Sweet, he has been very vocal about his disdain for being labeled a Christian band. He said they just want to be referred to as a regular Metal band. So I’m not surprised he is injecting a heavy dose of secular cover tunes in their set.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 8:38 am

Troublezone wrote:
From the recent interviews with Michael Sweet, he has been very vocal about his disdain for being labeled a Christian band. He said they just want to be referred to as a regular Metal band. So I’m not surprised he is injecting a heavy dose of secular cover tunes in their set.

*Very vocal about being labeled a Christian band, keeps writing songs about Jesus.

Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 9:31 am

I've never seen Stryper. If I were seeing them for the first time and they pulled that crap yeah, I'd probably be pissed off.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:11 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
I've never seen Stryper. If I were seeing them for the first time and they pulled that crap yeah, I'd probably be pissed off.

I saw them a ways back supporting Soldiers Under Command and they crushed. Of course I was 17 and that album was tattoo'd on my psyche and was quickly memorized and repeated often. I have heard (covers tour aside) that the band is sounding as good as ever. SO I'd recommend seeing them.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 6:34 pm

Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

*Very vocal about being labeled a Christian band, keeps writing songs about Jesus.

He never said they stopped being Christians! He just doesn’t like the tag “Christian Metal” band. I’ll try to find a link somewhere when I have time.

Here’s one...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/strypers-michael-sweet-has-always-found-christian-metal-tag-to-be-a-little-disturbing/
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 9:15 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Big Rich wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

He never said they stopped being Christians! He just doesn’t like the tag “Christian Metal” band. I’ll try to find a link somewhere when I have time.

Here’s one...

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/strypers-michael-sweet-has-always-found-christian-metal-tag-to-be-a-little-disturbing/

I know all about this. If that's why he put 8 covers in the setlist, I hope his God shows him the light.

Absolutely horrific.
Back to top Go down
kethdredd
Metal master
Metal master
kethdredd

Number of posts : 559

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 10:42 pm

I went to the opening show of the tour. I liked the show but the covers really killed the set. I shit you not, Michael was reading the lyrics off of an Ipad. Totally killed the vibe.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:50 pm

Stryper is becoming a “jukebox” band.
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 9:21 am

kethdredd wrote:
I went to the opening show of the tour.  I liked the show but the covers really killed the set.  I shit you not, Michael was reading the lyrics off of an Ipad. Totally killed the vibe.

Ridiculous.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 8:43 pm

The band who threw bibles into the crowd and made their entire career on the Christian thing don't like being labelled a Christian band? surprised

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 9:15 pm

Boris2008 wrote:
The band who threw bibles into the crowd and made their entire career on the Christian thing don't like being labelled a Christian band?  surprised

I think the criticism finally started to get to Michael after all these years. It isn’t the first time they tried to distance themselves from the Christian metal niche...

Against The Law was pretty much a mainstream album.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2960

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2019 12:11 am

I just saw the tour tonight. I had avoided this thread not wanting know the setlist before I went in.

It seems they've responded to the criticism because they've cut some of the covers and mixed them in more with classic Stryper songs.

There were six covers, I think, and one of them (Firehouse's "All She Wrote") seemed set apart because Perry is an original member and they played it right after introducing him.

Anywhere, this was the set:

Soldiers Under Command
Shout It Out Loud (KISS)
Calling On You
Free
Heading Out to the Highway (Judas Priest)
Panama (Van Halen)
More Than a Man
Crazy Train (Ozzy)
All She Wrote (Firehouse)
In God We Trust (Reborn version)
Always There for You
Sorry
Yahweh
Sing-Along Song
---
The Valley
To Hell With the Devil
Back to top Go down
Big Rich
Metal master
Metal master
Big Rich

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2019 6:48 am

6 is still too many, GP.  Do the Firehouse song for Perry and that's all we need.

Get rid of the other 5 covers and add.

The Rock That Makes Me Roll.
Surrender
More Than A Man
With a couple newer songs.

And Sing Along Song to close? Is Michael on crack?
Back to top Go down
deathisgain
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
deathisgain

Number of posts : 285

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2019 10:55 am

"In God We Trust (Reborn version)" < -- This alone would make me not go see them. I hate that version of the song.
Back to top Go down
http://www.deathisgain.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stryper's setlist on their history tour...   Stryper's setlist on their history tour... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stryper's setlist on their history tour...
Page 1 of 1