Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

April 13th, 2000

Go down 
+6
Lari
Dark Horseman
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Fat Freddy
Required Fields
the sentinel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:27 am

So, almost 2 full decades later, what's everyone's thoughts?

I still side with Metallica in this fight.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28454

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:02 am

I always thought it was strange how it was them of all bands who did it.

Remember, back in the 1980s, they were one of the first bands to openly encourage their fans to buy blank tapes for their friends and record their music onto them to get the word out about their music.

Recording albums onto blank tapes was the 1980s and 1990s equivalent of peer-to-peer downloading. So it's strange how that worked out, especially considering Metallica were the richest band in their genre at this point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:24 am

Metallica got a lot of hate for the Napster debacle at the time, but obviously history has proven they were right.

They were the first band to step up and tell the music industry, "Look, you need to deal with this right now, because once the genie is out of the bottle, it's never going to go back in."

The music biz, naturally, said "What, this computer stuff? Pfft. It's a passing fad. It'll never catch on."

...and within five years, they were like "Hey, where'd everybody go?"

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 10:37 am

Though I agree with him, Lars is still a douche.

Honestly? I despise the result of the technology more than than issues like this. The internet [basically] took away one of the major loves of my life - scouring pawn shops, record stores, thrift shops for rare cds. Physical CD trading is almost dead now, too. With that said....the internet also paid off my house [twice] with the ability to sell said cds for outrageous monies.

I guess I will just stick with the morals I have always had when it comes to downloading: If it is a new release don't - ever. If it is demos or or live stuff and the band is not losing cash, I will sleep good at night.
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 12:15 pm

I agree Uncle, I miss those days spent in used music stores looking for those special finds. This new era of never leaving the house sucks.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6337

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 2:04 pm

the sentinel wrote:

I still side with Metallica in this fight.
As do I.

A lot of musicians probably feel the same, but are afraid to speak up. But someone (big) needed to step up and stand up for the artists' rights to their intellectual property.

A lot of bands/artists give up songs for free, but the idea is that they can choose which ones. It's not right to distribute their work for free, if the artist is still selling the product. And obviously it's also illegal. But it just doesn't get through to some people.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 5:28 pm

Hindsight being 20/20 and all, Metallica was right. It killed the music biz. At the time, I was firmly in the "spoiled hypocritical rockstar" camp, but I eventually came around.

Lars can still be a douche though.

Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9047

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 5:36 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:

Honestly?  I despise the result of the technology more than than issues like this.  The internet [basically] took away one of the major loves of my life - scouring pawn shops, record stores, thrift shops for rare cds.  Physical CD trading is almost dead now, too.  With that said....the internet also paid off my house [twice] with the ability to sell said cds for outrageous monies.  

I guess I will just stick with the morals I have always had when it comes to downloading:  If it is a new release don't - ever.  If it is demos or or live stuff and the band is not losing cash, I will sleep good at night.

All of this.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 pm

At the time, I had no idea what Napster was, thou I remember a friend who once owned like 700 CD's who never bought another CD, and just downloaded music from that point forward from various websites. Now he does not even listen to music, or rarely does. I believe treating music as a disposable entity as deluded people's love and appreciation for music in general, maybe I am wrong but that is the way I feel.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 8:52 pm

Downloading has cheapened music. People seem a lot less interested in it. Most people used to care about bands and follow them, now people just cherry pick songs.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:07 pm

UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS wrote:

Honestly?  I despise the result of the technology more than than issues like this.  The internet [basically] took away one of the major loves of my life - scouring pawn shops, record stores, thrift shops for rare cds.  Physical CD trading is almost dead now, too.  With that said....the internet also paid off my house [twice] with the ability to sell said cds for outrageous monies.  

I guess I will just stick with the morals I have always had when it comes to downloading:  If it is a new release don't - ever.  If it is demos or or live stuff and the band is not losing cash, I will sleep good at night.

Internet auction sites have destroyed all collectibles and hobbies. They killed the sports cards, stamps, comics, even dudes like my Uncles and cousins who would scour the flea markets for motorcycle parts. Don't get me wrong, I love to find an online deal, but I don't want to become like some people who are in a store on their phone on amazon to see if it's a buck cheaper.
At first, it was great, everything from around the world was at my fingertips; but then people stopped bringing in used discs to the local shops for resale and started selling on their own online. The stores began to shutter as they couldn't live off the pittance they profited from the greedy record companies. If the hipsters didn't bring back vinyl, then brick and mortar record stores would be totally gone.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:10 pm

manny wrote:
At the time, I had no idea what Napster was, thou I remember a friend who once owned like 700 CD's who never bought another CD, and just downloaded music from that point forward from various websites. Now he does not even listen to music, or rarely does. I believe treating music as a disposable entity as deluded people's love and appreciation for music in general, maybe I am wrong but that is the way I feel.

I agree wholeheartedly, many. That's a great point.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:16 pm

Troublezone wrote:
Downloading has cheapened music. People seem a lot less interested in it. Most people used to care about bands and follow them, now people just cherry pick songs.

Agree with this point, too. My boss has been on a Queen kick ever since the movie came out. Listens constantly. Doesn't own a physical copy of any of their albums. He is 53 and grew up buying all the mediums of music. Now, he has the "rdio" app on his phone for $15 bucks a month and has like 1 million songs in his cloud. It's basically disposable to him.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2019 9:22 pm

Required Fields wrote:
I always thought it was strange how it was them of all bands who did it.

Remember, back in the 1980s, they were one of the first bands to openly encourage their fans to buy blank tapes for their friends and record their music onto them  to get the word out about their music.

Recording albums onto blank tapes was the 1980s and 1990s equivalent of peer-to-peer downloading. So it's strange how that worked out, especially considering Metallica were the richest band in their genre at this point.

That's how I felt at the time too, RF; but the tape trading of the '80's had a different mentality to it. For me, a dubbed copy held me over til I got the cash to buy my own legit copy. The copy was nice, but it wasn't the real thing, no matter how cool your own artwork or logo interpretations were. I always think about the copy of WASP's "Live in the Raw" a buddy made that had the first "Keepers" album on the other side. I discovered this by accident and have been a Helloween for the last 32 years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

April 13th, 2000 Empty
PostSubject: Re: April 13th, 2000   April 13th, 2000 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

April 13th, 2000
Page 1 of 1