Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

GWAR

Go down 
+18
corplhicks
Boris2008
Troublezone
A Handful of Wayne
sam
jstate
caniplaywithmadness?
SideShowDisaSter
Chairman_Smith
EvyMetal
mc666
DallasBlack
MetalGuy71
nevermore
TheGooch
scottmitchell74
Fat Freddy
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37869

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:10 am

Any fans here? Obviously they're an acquired taste (or perhaps "tasteLESS" would be a better term, I suppose) but I always found their costumes, their sick humor and their entire "alien space creatures come to devour Earthling souls" vibe totally hilarious.
Their catalog can be pretty hit or miss but they have some pretty sweet thrash stuff goin' on albums like AMERICA MUST BE DESTROYED (their finest, most METAL album) and RAGNAROK.
Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:11 am

Maggots are falling like rain!!!

I love baseball and to this very day (or at least until they were eliminated) every time Vlad Guererro comes to the plate I find myself, in a now conditioned response to his appearance, blurting "Vlad, Vlad, Vlad the Impaler!!" This has been going on for far too long but I don't know how to stop!!
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

Number of posts : 4429

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:16 am

Gwar never really interested me really at all. they just seem to lack that something so it is not the kind of thing i would pay money for.

its like this as i see it.. i like metal but that does not mean i will just buy any old metal
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:16 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

There ya go! SCUMDOGS OF THE UNIVERSE! Terrible production on that disc but the booklet and lyrics are hilarious.
"Slaughterama...slaughterama...slaughterama... it's not drama!"
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:19 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:

I love baseball and to this very day (or at least until they were eliminated) every time Vlad Guererro comes to the plate I find myself, in a now conditioned response to his appearance, blurting "Vlad, Vlad, Vlad the Impaler!!" This has been going on for far too long but I don't know how to stop!!

Laughing very hard "Vlad, Vlad, Vlad the impaler... coulda been a sailor, coulda been a whaler...he turned out to be Norman Mailer!"

Last edited by on Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:19 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

There ya go! SCUMDOGS OF THE UNIVERSE! Terrible production on that disc but the booklet and lyrics are hilarious.

lol! Laughing very hard man that sounds cheesier than Anthrax and thats saying something. up with cheese!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:20 am

TheGooch wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

lol! Laughing very hard man that sounds cheesier than Anthrax and thats saying something. up with cheese!

Oh yea, they're all about the cheese. The GWAR guys obviously grew up watching a lot of Japanese monster movies, reading comic books and taking a LOT of drugs...
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:59 am

Everyone should go see Gwar live at least once. Scumdogs Of The Universe and America Must Be Destroyed are my favorite Gwar releases.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:01 am

nevermore wrote:
Everyone should go see Gwar live at least once. Scumdogs Of The Universe and America Must Be Destroyed are my favorite Gwar releases.

Sadly, though I own a bunch of their albums, I have never seen the GWAR live spectacle. Sad
When I was in college they played right near my school on Halloween night (is there a more perfect band for Halloween, by the way?) but for some stupid reason I went to a Halloween party that night instead, with some girl I was hoping to hook up with at the time. We never did hook up so obviously I chose poorly...I should've gone to see GWAR!! Sad

I'd still like to see'em someday, just so I can see for myself how the heck they play their instruments with all that rubber costume junk on!!
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:15 am

My understanding is that you want to stay out of the first few rows...unless, of course, you don't mind being "inseminated" - among other things!!
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:17 am

I always appreciated the visuals, but I heard very little of the actual music. I never took them seriously enough to purchase any of their albums.

A buddy of mine always talked about us going to see them live, but alas, it has never came to fruition.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:18 am

scottmitchell74 wrote:
My understanding is that you want to stay out of the first few rows...unless, of course, you don't mind being "inseminated" - among other things!!

Haha, yea, you better bring a raincoat if you want to stand up front... a much cleaner option would be to see one of their occasional one-off gigs under the name "RAWG," where they play all the GWAR songs without all the monster gear and fluids. Smile

I remember seeing a guy at a show years ago who was wearing a t-shirt covered in all sorts of colorful stains, and he had written "I SAW GWAR AND LIVED TO TELL ABOUT IT" on the front in black magic marker Smile
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:31 am

I have only heard a choice few of ther songs, Rag Na Rok, Sadam A Go Go (my favorite), Happy Death-Day, and Sexacutioner. Good music but I probably will never buy any of their albums. This is mainly due to the lyrics, even though it's all done in fun, I just can't abide by them. I remember seeing them on Jerry Springer and must say I do like them based on that alone (they were very well spoken and down to earth despite being in costume). In summary, I will listen to them but I won't purchase any albums.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:33 am

Definitely stay out of the front row if you want to stay dry. But with all the fluids flying everywhere there's not many safe places to hide.

Wear something you don't mind possibly getting ruined if you ever do get to see them live.

They are heading back out on tour soon with 3 Inches Of Blood and The End supporting.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:44 am

DallasBlack wrote:
I remember seeing them on Jerry Springer and must say I do like them based on that alone (they were very well spoken and down to earth despite being in costume).

I remember seeing them on "Jerry" too! The other guest was well known cave man/scum bag Eldon "El Duce" Hoke of the Mentors, next to THAT guy, ANY band would've sounded well spoken and down to earth!!
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 11:50 am

I saw that episode of Springer, too. G.G. Allin was also on an episode of Springer (or was this the same episode?)
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 12:10 pm

nevermore wrote:
I saw that episode of Springer, too. G.G. Allin was also on an episode of Springer (or was this the same episode?)

I could be wrong, but I believe G.G. was a different episode. Now THAT guy was a piece of work. His "stage show" made GWAR's look like Barney The Dinosaur by comparison. As I believe I may have stated in another thread when GG's name came up, "At least when GWAR flings poo into the audience, it's FAKE poo."
Back to top Go down
mc666
Master Sailboat
mc666

Number of posts : 9301

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 1:35 pm

i liked them up until AMBD, then quit. started getting into them again when they returned heavy with Violence Has Arrived.

TheGooch
nOOb master
TheGooch

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:28 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
TheGooch wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
scottmitchell74 wrote:

Oh yea, they're all about the cheese. The GWAR guys obviously grew up watching a lot of Japanese monster movies, reading comic books and taking a LOT of drugs...

ah japanese monster movies... oh no Rodan is attacking Godzilla! wait, here comes Son of Godzilla to save the day! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 1:55 am

Gwar always had the spirit but not a great talent, a few songs were very good, but their last album(Beyond Hell) shows that both their metal spirit and and metal skill is A1...
Back to top Go down

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 1:59 am

Also never forget "Phallus in Wonderland". Horrible production but an awesome video - they did it anyway...
Back to top Go down
EvyMetal
Baron Von 40oz.
EvyMetal

Number of posts : 4386

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 2:08 am

it's all about the front row of a GWAR concert, getting blood, semen, and piss thrown all over you while they perform bring back the bomb. Never gonna do that again !
Back to top Go down
Chairman_Smith
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Chairman_Smith

Number of posts : 1636

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 7:31 am

I have a few of their CDs, but blantantly silly song themes never thrill me.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I loves me some GWAR!! I've been a fan of theirs for a LONG ttime now. I missed their show when they came to my city several years ago (when I was living in Chattanooga) because I was flat broke and also couldn't get out of work.

Metal master
Metal master
caniplaywithmadness?

Number of posts : 515

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitimeTue Oct 30, 2007 10:27 pm

it looks like a fun show, but the music doesn't really interest me much
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GWAR Empty
PostSubject: Re: GWAR   GWAR Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down