Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hurricane Michael

Go down 
+6
tohostudios
Boris2008
nevermore
Dark Horseman
mikeinfla
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

Hurricane Michael - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Michael   Hurricane Michael - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 am

mikeinfla wrote:
My fence is destroyed from trees and the fence isn't covered by insurance. Insurance is a funny thing. My fence is insured under everything EXCEPT hurricane damage.
Sounds like you need to talk to a lawyer. I'm sure there is a loophole one could work with. The fence wasn't damaged from the hurricane, it was damaged by the trees. Yeah the trees were knocked down from it, but IDK, sounds like it could be worth a shot to check out. cheers
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Michael   Hurricane Michael - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 5:35 am

Oct 10th... It seems like a lifetime ago.

I got home from work yesterday and something looked different.... Could it be? What? Is this actually happening? There were bundles of shingles on my roof! Yay! They started!

But it isn't all good news... They removed some of the tarps. They have started but haven't done much so I suspect it was late in the afternoon.... And we got rain last night and took in some water in the kitchen, dining room and laundry room. So I was up at 3AM this morning repositioning tarps on my roof. 60% chance of thundershowers today and that isn't good at ALL. I sure hope they come back this morning and do some work. I am leaving work around noon today to go home and check things out and "bird dog" them. I really hope the rain hold off and that they show up today. I've always had a bad experience with roofers.

My wife's car was in the bodyshop the Monday before Thanksgiving and we finally got it back about 2 weeks ago. Took forever. He told me he is shutting down his business to NEW business because he is now backed up on hurricane damaged vehicles until August.

My shed is still off it's "blocks" and needs to be moved and re-leveled. Even with hurricane straps it moved. They are supposed to show up Saturday to move it for me but with rain coming I don't know what to expect. I paid them in November to move it back and they never showed up or even called me back to schedule a time. I called them weekly. Then last week I called them everyday (Company is out of Alabama). The man I talked to was as frustrated as me but he isn't over delivery drivers. I also sent them an email Monday a week ago and said if noone called me back I was filing a complaint with the BBB and my Congressman. So I did that on Friday. On Tuesday they called and said they would be here on Saurday (tomorrow). So either they got around to calling me on their own for or the BBB or Congressman did something about it. I still have my complaint filed and will leave it until the shed has been moved and this whole thing has been resolved.

As for the town it is still in shambles. I doubt it will ever look the same again in my lifetime. We have a park behind our house and the city has been storing all the debris there and mulching all the trees but I think they are about done. The ballfields are gone, the walking trail is gone and they tore down the sports complex. 95% of the shade trees at the park are gone (and all my shade trees in my backyard are gone).
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Michael   Hurricane Michael - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 01, 2019 8:54 pm

Sorry to hear Mike, hope things get better for you soon.
Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Michael   Hurricane Michael - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 7:50 pm

Over 7 months later and STILL no fedral relief. Congress has yet to pass anything and this area still looks like a third world country.

On a positive note, all of my repairs are complete. I had enough insurance money to complete the work without having to pay my $2700 hurricane deductible. So I made out good, I really needed a new roof anyway. But most of the houses on my street are still covered in blue tarps and some even have trees on them. Several houses have been torn down, some abandoned. Drove by a closed down school today. So many people left after the storm and didn't come back and they lost a ton of student populations. Many schools were shut down and middle schools and high schools have been combined. Our Superintendent of Schools said if we don't get federal funding soon 600 jobs will be cut from the school system. My wife's school is cutting down the number of classes and many teachers will not be coming back. She got her return letter but she wants to teach high school next year but chances are with so many cuts nothing will be available.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane Michael   Hurricane Michael - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hurricane Michael
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2