Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

30 Years Ago Today!!

Go down 
+15
Fat Freddy
MetalGuy71
Witchfinder
James B.
CrookedCross
nevermore
Required Fields
Thrasher73
Lurideath
Troublezone
Gilbert
bgsully
Wrecked Neck
the sentinel
metalinmyveins
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 9:43 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Boris2008 wrote:
I'm pretty much the opposite of FF on this one. Over the years I've become less critical and realised that it's a flawed gem. At the time I hated the sound of it and it was the end of a love affair.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I still enjoy the album to this day, but as I've gotten older I've obviously grown out of the "Holy sh** this is the BEST ALBUM EVERRRRRR" mindset I had when it was current, haha.  

The production values never bothered me much (then or now), however I've always felt kinda bad for Jason that his bass work was never really heard. Whether it's true they turned it down in the mix as a joke or whatever never sat right with me. That was a dick move on James & Lars and the first of what would seemingly become more prevalent in the future.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
CRIMSONMASK

Number of posts : 349

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 4:26 pm

Metal Shop debuted it on air a week or so before it's release. I had it on a 90 min TDK, and like Freddy I thought I was the shit. And also like Freddy, aside from my roommate and few other metalheads on campus, no one cared. Their loss.
Back to top Go down
Mglaffas81
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Mglaffas81

Number of posts : 2256

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 4:33 pm

The first album I ever bought and my favourite Metallica album - the only thing that ever bothered me about the production was when I listened to the album on a stereo console - it would produce this annoying "ringing" sound in the background, which I later found out would be alleviated by actually turning down the "bass" setting on the stereo - to me, the production is part of the charm of the album and I would have it no other way - I also really like the snare sound - although the Black Album probably features the best drum sound (and overall production) I've ever heard.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2018 5:53 pm

There are maybe two or three parts of the album where you can sort of hear the bass...if you listen extremely closely.

I have even brought this up on message boards before, and one guy even decided to give a close listen upon what I posted (he never noticed the bass, like many), and he noticed it for the first time a couple of frets could be heard when I pointed out where I could hear it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm

CrookedCross wrote:
I saw RIP Magazine and another page on Facebook had erroneously posted this album as being released on August 25th, 1988 Saturday (the Wikipedia page is now showing August 25th, also - I checked there Saturday and August 25th and September 5th(?) were both listed on the page in different spots, no idea why) - the actual release date was Tuesday, September the 6th, 1988. Hard to believe it will be 30 years, though - I still remember getting out of school that day and going to my friend Kyle's, firing-up the bong and listening to the albums on his turntable. To this day one of my all-time favorites.

https://www.metallica.com/releases/albums/4212/and-justice-for-all

This is my Metallica calendar from 1990 and it shows the date of August 25th on there as well, for the U.S release.

30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Img_1210
Back to top Go down
Witchfinder
Metal is Forever
Witchfinder

Number of posts : 7632

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 7:27 pm

U.S. Release Date - Sep 6, 1988
U.K. Release Date - Sep 5, 1988
Japan Release Date - Sep 14, 1988

The "Harvester Of Sorrow" single came out in the U.K. on Monday 8/29/88.

9/5 was Labor Day Monday in the U.S. and thus 9/6 was a Tuesday. Remember that until recently new albums were released on Tuesday in the United States, although there were exceptions.
Back to top Go down
http://themetalblogofmetal.blogspot.com/
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 30, 2018 8:51 pm

I used to have the 45 's from this album. I thought I was so cool cuz I had the awesome B sides like "The Prince" and "Breadfan" and even had some of the cassette singles. I coulgn't get enough of this one back in high school. I wish they would re release the singles like Maiden did a few years back ( I have like 6 or 7 of them) cuz they are a cool collectible. I know, like Maiden, the rare b sides are available on various box sets now, but it would still be cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 30 Years Ago Today!!   30 Years Ago Today!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

30 Years Ago Today!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2