Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

"American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van

Go down 
+3
MetalGuy71
glassprison
Fat Freddy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37648

"American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Empty
PostSubject: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 11:52 am

It sounds like a headline from The Onion but apparently it's legit...

"American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van American-pickers-find-aerosmith-van-83d780d1bd401eb0

The "American Pickers" have found a piece of rock and roll history right here in Western Massachusetts.

In a recent episode of the History channel hit, the duo of Mike Wolfe and Frank Fritz made their way to Massachusetts after receiving a tip that the original tour van of the legendary rock group Aerosmith was sitting on a property in Chesterfield.

Apparently, the van was on the property when the current owner, only identified as Phil, purchased the land a few years back. The pickers showed up in Chesterfield and met the owner, who told them the original owner of the van had a connection to the property, but he didn't have many details beyond that.

The pickers called a member of The Black Keys, who connected them with Joe Perry, lead guitarist of Aerosmith, which formed in Boston in 1970. Perry connected them with Ray Tabano, a guitarist and founding member of Aerosmith, who just happened to be in Stockbridge at the time.

He drove out to Chesterfield and confirmed this was indeed the band's original touring van.

"It certainly looks like it. Oh my goodness gracious," Tabano said. "I'm afraid to say how long it is, but it's been like 40 years since we were in this thing. It was like a touring hotel... This is definitely the van. You found it."

https://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/08/aerosmiths_original_tour_van_f.html

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 12:37 pm

That's awesome; thanks for sharing this!
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 12:38 pm

Quote :
It sounds like a headline from The Onion but apparently it's legit...

I was going to say it sounds like a headline from The Hard Times, which is like the rock-oriented version of The Onion. Definitely follow it on FB if you don't already!
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 1:05 pm

I wonder if they found any of Steven or Joe's old 'stash' hidden under the seats? Very Happy

It reminds me of that scene in "Romancing the Stone" where they find the crashed dope smuggling plane with the cargo still inside Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 3:47 pm

That's awesome. Looks like an old Good Humor ice cream truck. Groovy!

Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2018 8:51 pm

That's awesome! (if it's authentic)

But Is that Mick Fleetwood painted on the side? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 10:40 am

Troublezone wrote:

I think it's the original Aerosmith logo. I wish the photo was from a better angle so we could see it more clearly.

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeThu Aug 09, 2018 9:47 pm

I actually caught the very end of the episode when it aired the other night. Man, that thing is "roached" as Mike and Fran like to say.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 10:22 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

I think it's the original Aerosmith logo. I wish the photo was from a better angle so we could see it more clearly.

The funky looking dude is a caricature of one of Aerosmith's friends/roadie from the early days and a take-off the the "Keep on Truckin' guy" by artist Robert Crumb.
"American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Keep+on+truckin

He was also mentioned in the song 'Mama Kin'. He was "bald as a egg at 18" and "working for your dad is just a drag".

Metal master
Metal master
QuothTheRaven

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 6:18 pm

I don't watch this show very often, but I happened to be watching this episode. It was one of the cooler moments I've seen. Mike and Frank (the hosts) are old Aerosmith fans apparently, and were really geeking out over this. I really hope this goes to a worthwhile museum somewhere!
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Troublezone wrote:

The funky looking dude is a caricature of one of Aerosmith's friends/roadie from the early days and a take-off the the "Keep on Truckin' guy" by artist Robert Crumb.
"American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Keep+on+truckin

He was also mentioned in the song 'Mama Kin'. He was "bald as a egg at 18" and "working for your dad is just a drag".

I don't know if was just the angle of the pic or what, but it looked like a guy with a skullett.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2018 3:22 pm

I just watched the episode on Demand. It's from the current season and called 'Rockin' Down the Road' or something like that. The first half, the guys are in Michigan, so you have to fast-forward a bit to get to the Aerosmith stuff. It's pretty cool and worth checking out.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3173

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeThu Aug 16, 2018 6:09 pm

I’m a Massachusetts resident. This is such a cool find.
I think it should go straight to the rock and roll hall of fame.
The origin of a band. What it takes to get about. Classic.
Aerosmith said they played all high schools in New England lol -
By the way, that includes the winter months.
Those days seem long gone.
I tried to sell my Marshall stack - to a music store in town.
They said - no one uses them anymore. I was dumbstruck.
I guess they use P.A equipment clubs and bars have ?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2019 11:56 am

Caught a rerun of "American Pickers" a week or two ago that told the second half of the "van" story. Mike and Frank had the Aerosmith van restored by one of their "experts" and then drove it to Vegas, where the band was performing their "residency" gigs at the time.

They parked the van in the lobby and fans could have their photo taken with it. The band members were clearly blown away by the restoration job on the van, and moved by the memories it brought back.  (Steven climbed right in and started looking around to see if any of his old stash was still hidden away, haha!) It was pretty cool.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van   "American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

"American Pickers" finds Aerosmith's first tour van
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: