Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Revenant

Go down 
+3
Fat Freddy
Thrasher73
Eyesore
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 12:37 am

So I love to fish, and I compete in a lot of fishing tournaments. The past few years I've been fishing tournaments on a more national level, traveling to different states and so forth. In doing so, I've met a lot of other fishermen along the way, some in person, others online.

One of those anglers is a guy named Henry Veggian.

His name always struck me as familiar, but I never knew why. He's an English professor down in North Carolina, but he's also a metal fan, used to be a guitar tech for Clutch, etc. We've talked a bit about that before.

Anyway, like I said, his name has always seemed familiar. While I was sitting at my desk writing the other day, listening to music, "Spawn" by Revenant came on. Just one randomly shuffled song out of the 16,981 albums I have ripped. As soon as it started to play, that typically dark light bulb went on above my head.

Henry Veggian. This guy on vocals/guitar...

Couldn't be him, right? Well, turns out, it is! How crazy is that? He looks nothing like that anymore, of course. Haha.

Revenant Web1_VeggianMug.cmyk_

Pretty wild, though, huh? Small world and all that. I've had Prophecies of a Dying World since high school!
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 5:31 am

Cool story Eyesore! It's crazy how things come about.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 7:04 am

Revenant were local New Jersey legends!

My brother is/was a big fan, he and "Veg" were buds. He still has all their early demos/7-inches and other stuff. My bro saw them live dozens of times and I saw them once or twice back then, too. They were pretty much the go-to local openers for every thrash or death metal band that came thru our area.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 10:17 am

Whoa! Yeah, definitely a cult band there.
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 11:05 am

Great story. And meeting up like that - that's awesome.
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Dude, that's such a cool story. I love hearing things like this.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 1:37 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:

My brother is/was a big fan, he and "Veg" were buds. He still has all their early demos/7-inches and other stuff. My bro saw them live dozens of times and I saw them once or twice back then, too. They were pretty much the go-to local openers for every thrash or death metal band that came thru our area.

Nice! Not surprising, then, that Chris Milnes from Mucky Pup is the one who told me to check them out, huh?
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:

Nice! Not surprising, then, that Chris Milnes from Mucky Pup is the one who told me to check them out, huh?

Oh yeah, I'm sure Revenant and Mucky Pup played on more than a few club bills together back then, haha. New Jersey had a pretty good original "scene" at that time, especially for the more "extreme" side of things (thrash, death metal, hardcore, etc.).   

My brother met Henry thru his high school friend Ralph, who played drums for a local grindcore band called "Regurgitation" (they later became known as Old Lady Drivers, aka OLD). Henry played on Regurgitation's Bathrooms Rule! demo, then he split and formed Revenant.

Future Incantation guitarist/leader John McEntee was a member of Revenant early on, but by the time they got a record deal he had already left to form his own band. Last I checked, Incantation is still out there recording and touring to this day.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 5:37 pm

I assume a lot of those gigs had Hades on them too.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 5:58 pm

Temple of Blood wrote:
I assume a lot of those gigs had Hades on them too.

Possibly but if memory serves, by the time Revenant/Ripping Corpse/Incantation/etc. were doing their thing, Hades was on hiatus.

Alan Tecchio did the Control and Resistance record with WatchTower (I have vague memories of them playing a local club after that album came out, but I was not in attendance) and when that ended and he came back to Jersey, he and Dan Lorenzo did Non-Fiction for a couple of (boring) albums.

...but even when Non-Fiction was active, Hades would still do "reunion" gigs once or twice a year... but I didn't get to see them live till 2000 when they were back full time and doing albums again for Metal Blade. I was too young to get into the clubs during their first "era." Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 6:39 pm

I saw Mucky Pup a million times back in the day. Now I wonder if Revenant ever played with them.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeWed Jul 11, 2018 9:57 pm

Eyesore wrote:
I saw Mucky Pup a million times back in the day. Now I wonder if Revenant ever played with them.

Looks like they did...

Revenant 20130401-052530-310690

Revenant 88_08_27

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 2:01 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Looks like they did...

Revenant 20130401-052530-310690

Revenant 88_08_27

Not surprising. I meant up here, though. Guess they never did, not in MA.

I asked him about your brother, and he said, "Brian is the legend, not I." Then he changed the subject. I get the feeling that he doesn't like talking about his thrash metal days anymore. What he does now and what he did are worlds apart, so I guess I understand that.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeThu Jul 12, 2018 10:10 am

Eyesore wrote:

I asked him about your brother, and he said, "Brian is the legend, not I."

Laughing very hard I'll have to tell Brian that next time I talk to him.

Quote :
Then he changed the subject. I get the feeling that he doesn't like talking about his thrash metal days anymore. What he does now and what he did are worlds apart, so I guess I understand that.

Yeah, my brother is friends with Henry on FB too and he sez when they chit chat they don't really get into the "old days" much. I guess for Henry, it must be like when you look back at your high school yearbook photo, like "Geez, I was sooooo different then."

That said, I am sure he probably still gets his fair share of PM's from overseas fanboys asking him when he's gonna put the band back together, haha. ("INFERNAL HAILZ AND 666! WHEN IS REVENANT COME TO BRAZIL?")

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 am

Fat Freddy wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

I asked him about your brother, and he said, "Brian is the legend, not I."

Laughing very hard I'll have to tell Brian that next time I talk to him.

Quote :
Then he changed the subject. I get the feeling that he doesn't like talking about his thrash metal days anymore. What he does now and what he did are worlds apart, so I guess I understand that.

Yeah, my brother is friends with Henry on FB too and he sez when they chit chat they don't really get into the "old days" much. I guess for Henry, it must be like when you look back at your high school yearbook photo, like "Geez, I was sooooo different then."

That said, I am sure he probably still gets his fair share of PM's from overseas fanboys asking him when he's gonna put the band back together, haha. ("INFERNAL HAILZ AND 666! WHEN IS REVENANT COME TO BRAZIL?")

Laughing very hard Laughing very hard Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2018 12:39 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Dude, that's such a cool story. I love hearing things like this.

Yep. headbanger
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeThu Jan 13, 2022 5:59 pm

Revenant honcho Henry Veggian reported via social media that the band's former drummer, Will Corcoran, who played on several of their demos and the Prophecies of a Dying World studio album, passed away this week. R.I.P.

https://metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=44717

Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2022 8:54 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Revenant honcho Henry Veggian reported via social media that the band's former drummer, Will Corcoran, who played on several of their demos and the Prophecies of a Dying World studio album, passed away this week. R.I.P.

https://metalstorm.net/events/news_comments.php?news_id=44717

Saw that. Feel bad for Hank. Sean Kilkenny from Mucky Pup, Dog Eat Dog, etc., just died recently. They were close. =(
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Revenant Empty
PostSubject: Re: Revenant   Revenant Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Revenant
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: