Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Halford III - Winter Songs

Go down 
+11
Glower
Shawn Of Fire
MetalGuy71
exact33
Dark Horseman
Fat Freddy
glassprison
the sentinel
Gilbert
tohostudios
FoJ
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
FoJ
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 76

Halford III - Winter Songs Empty
PostSubject: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 5:04 pm

I always forget to pull this one out this time of year, but today I remembered. This is a great Christmas record! The opening track would find a nice home on any of Halford’s other albums. But it’s the metal/rock versions of classics like We Three Kings, O Come, O Come Emanuel, What Child Is This, and Oh Holy Night where this album shines. I wish more bands would do albums like this, especially Christian bands who have even more reason to sing about the newborn Savior. Some of these songs (and others Rob didn’t do here) translate so well into metal songs.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 5:16 pm

They translate pretty well as punk songs too:

What I really like about this album is that they don't change the words and they sing the obscure verses as well as the ones everyone knows.

Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9889

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 10:57 pm

I love halford's winter songs. Always play it in the car during this time of the year.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 12:12 am

Spun it the other night. Good stuff indeed. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 am

Funny thing is that, once Chrismas season is over, the cd is back on the shelves.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

Number of posts : 2959

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 3:02 am

Quote :
Funny thing is that, once Chrismas season is over, the cd is back on the shelves.

Yes, I think if the melodies to most of these songs weren't already ingrained in me, I would probably think that they sounded very out of place in the songs. I would be more inclined to listen to songs like "I Don't Care" which sound more like classic Halford to me. This is an album that is very contingent on the season.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37656

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 7:46 am

Yea, this album has no replay value outside of the holiday season, but I dig it anyway.
"O Come Emmanuel" was my late father's favorite Christmas hymn. I often wonder what he would have thought of Halford's version, haha

Quote :
I wish more bands would do albums like this, especially Christian bands who have even more reason to sing about the newborn Savior.

Sorry, but... (rolls eyes)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 1:13 pm

He does a good job on these, enjoy this one better then most Christmas albums.
Back to top Go down
exact33
The King
exact33

Number of posts : 23207

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 5:54 pm

i like Winter songs. Good stuff but then again i am a sucker for a metal christmas album.

Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 10:23 pm

I wonder. Is rob a Christian?
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 1:16 pm

Love this album. Sure, it doesn't get much love in the middle of a hot August day, but during the Christmas season, it's a regular spinner for me.

Gilbert wrote:
There are some folks out there that say because of his lifestyle choices, he cannot be. And by that, I mean a singer of heavy metal. It's the devil's music crazy happy

Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeTue Dec 19, 2017 7:18 pm

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Love this album. Sure, it doesn't get much love in the middle of a hot August day, but during the Christmas season, it's a regular spinner for me.

Gilbert wrote:
There are some folks out there that say because of his lifestyle choices, he cannot be. And by that, I mean a singer of heavy metal. It's the devil's music crazy happy

I think Rob has stated in the past that he "believes in God"...but that's pretty broad and the most I've ever seen him say on the subject.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3178

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 7:09 am

If anyone’s interested - there’s a video on YouTube -
Title is “ Rob Halford Kicks Phone out of fans hand “
The comments are great too !
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 7:23 am

Glower wrote:

Old news. Welcome to a week ago. Smile

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 1:04 pm

I hated this album. Generic backing tracks.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 1:13 pm

Quote :

I was actually at that show! I didn't even see it when it happened (must have been looking off another direction) and only heard about it the next day online.
Back to top Go down
ZombieHavoc
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
ZombieHavoc

Number of posts : 2348

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 am

I wonder what 1989/1990 Sebastian Bach would do if he were suddenly transplanted into a 2019 show with a thousand cell phone cameras in his face.

The shock of sudden timejump transplantation aside, his brain would melt on the spot and his legs would go into autopilot turbo kick mode.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 8:11 am

Good news for fans of this one: he has a new Christmas album called Celestial coming out in October.

The cool things is that it will also feature four original compositions. There's a video out for "Donner and Blitzen." I already like this one better than the recognizable Christmas melodies.

Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am

I'll check it out, we need some new Christmas songs.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 12:33 pm

I was just going to start a thread about this, haha. Rob must reeeaaaallly like Christmas, haha.

I'm sure I'll check it out but the new song was kinda "meh" for me. Sounds like he just mashed up "Judas Rising" from Angel of Retribution and "Lightning Strikes" off Firepower, and put some holiday lyrics on it.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17069

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 3:05 pm

I can’t blame Halford for trying to make a buck from the Christmas metal thing... cuz everyone knows how successful TSO has been. I have his other Winter Songs album, but I barely ever listen to it. If I want a metal-ized Christmas, I’ll just listen to Deliverance’s rendition of Silent Night a few times and be done with it.

Last edited by Troublezone on Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 3:14 pm

To be fair, the new song actually sounds pretty good. I thinks it’s better than anything from Winter Songs. And if you aren’t paying attention to the lyrics, it sound just like a regular Priest song from the last couple albums.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 3:20 pm

The Donner party ate Blitzen.
Back to top Go down
glassprison
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
glassprison

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2019 3:45 pm

Quote :
Sounds like he just mashed up "Judas Rising" from Angel of Retribution and "Lightning Strikes" off Firepower, and put some holiday lyrics on it.

lol! Interesting formula, nonetheless!
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2019 6:41 am

Cool i am in!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Halford III - Winter Songs   Halford III - Winter Songs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Halford III - Winter Songs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next