Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best albums by Toto?

Go down 
+9
mikeinfla
80s Metal Lady
tohostudios
chewie
nevermore
ShadowAngel
Addy
muckie
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mlotek
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mlotek

Number of posts : 1226

Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 5:54 pm

Cherie Currie / Marie Currie 1980 Messin' with the Boys LP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherie_Currie

Not an officially a TOTO album, but it sounds a LOT like one of theirs, and Cherie was ticked off, but I love it. hard pop / rock .

Steve Lukather - guitar, had much influence, according to Cherie's biography book.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 9:39 pm

Didn't Lukather also work with David Foster in Airplay?
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 9:53 pm

Lukather was all over the place for about 20 years.  He was a session musician, producer and songwriter.  I know I've seen his name pop up on everything from Donna Summer to The Tubes.  I seem to remember his name on a Warren Zevon album or two as well.  He was "ubiquitous" for about a decade and a half.  Talented dude.

Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2016 11:55 pm

chewie wrote:

Don't forget the Dune soundtrack!!!

Hear, hear! My favorite Toto album. Although arguably it's basically Paich's album with the band in tow.
Back to top Go down
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 4:38 pm

80s Metal Lady wrote:
but with hot chicks in the lyrics.

Because Luke divorved his first wife at the time (1989 around) and all he wanted to do was band groupies and write songs about his failed marriage (Don't chain my heart from KoD is another tune) he was pretty wild then and roally pissed off after the whole thing with Jean-Michel Byron being forced onto the band.
Most of KoD deals with his divorce but also is metaphoric for Sony f*cking with the band once they took over Columbia Records in the late 80's. Toto wanted to reunite with Kimball, even recorded songs (Going Home later appeared on XX) but Sony pushed this Michael Jackson wannabe onto the band (the songs on Past to Present) which did a lot of damage to their reputation in europe even.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
ShadowAngel
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
ShadowAngel

Number of posts : 445

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 4:42 pm

corplhicks wrote:

Hear, hear! My favorite Toto album. Although arguably it's basically Paich's album with the band in tow.

But it's the worst decision Paich ever made. The band got offers to either contribute to Footlose or Dune. They thought they could make something serious, something critics could appreciate after dumping a lot of shit on Toto for years, so they did Dune and it went nothing. The movie was a bomb, the soundtrack did nothing to help their image and later even Paich said "We should'e done Footlose".
Same a couple years later when they were approached to record Danger Zone for Top Gun, Sony was behind the movie but in that case allegeldy it was the management group for Toto f*cking up the deal ("Only You" from Kingdom of Desire was a song already also written for the Top Gun Soundtrack because the band thought thay had a deal, it was later put into Kingdom of Desire)
Back to top Go down
http://www.kingdomofdesire.de
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 27, 2017 10:31 pm

I came across this article on another message board I post at earlier tonight:
https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2017/06/22/terminal-cancer-and-the-band-toto-is-bringing-my-family-together-for-my-parents-last-date
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 9:05 am

It's funny that this thread should pop up, as I went on a Toto kick around a couple of weeks ago. I listened to everything up til "Isolation" ('84), which I have. I really enjoyed "Hydra" ('79) and "Turn Back" ('81), which was pretty maligned back in the day, but understand is a fan favorite, based on the fact that there are zero hit songs on that one. Those two are both on my want list.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Jun 29, 2017 10:01 am

Required Fields wrote:
I came across this article on another message board I post at earlier tonight:
https://www.chicagoreader.com/Bleader/archives/2017/06/22/terminal-cancer-and-the-band-toto-is-bringing-my-family-together-for-my-parents-last-date

I read this and I responded to the article. This story is both sad and a bit uplifting. I was just fuming, when the part with the touring manager came up. There are just some jobs out there, where common sense has to be at the "forefront". These stories happen where people meet their favorite band/musician, athlete or actor all of the time and much of the time, it's due to sad circumstances written in the article above.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 22, 2017 12:52 am

Getting back in to Toto...

This band has more in common with Spandau Ballet than you'd think. I noticed that both combined Motown influence with some kind of experimental rock that had synthesizers. For Toto, it was prog, and for Spandau, it was new wave. That particular combination was thought of by most of their detractors as kitsch and certainly did not become the template for ideal innovation. To some people though, it's genius. Both of them added some sophistication to the soul/r&b formula and did it well enough, but it's certainly not for everyone. I do appreciate artists who can play easy-going music that also tries to be unique. Just because something is more conservative doesn't mean it can't be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best albums by Toto?   Best albums by Toto? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best albums by Toto?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2