Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

To rockhardridefree...

Go down 
+2
rockhardridefree
muckie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

To rockhardridefree... Empty
PostSubject: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 12:54 am

I noticed you're a newcomer to the forum, a fellow J-music enthusiast and presumably gamer (I see you have Charlotte from Samurai Shodown/Spirits as your avatar).

Could you give a list of your favorite bands in J-Rock/Metal, and the like?

X Japan is still my number one since I like all their songs. Boowy is another in the pop-rock vein that never really put out any crap. I've listened to tons of major and obscure VK bands and to really cite a band as my favorite, I have to enjoy listening to the majority of their catalogue and not just one or two particular albums in question (unlike some bands).

I would've mentioned that Dreams Come True is another important band in my life, but they are more of a high-quality J-Pop group and not in the rock/metal/punk vein. That would be best saved for the general music subforum.

I really like Dead End, too. This was another influential group you may know during the early VK boom. Influenced L'arc, believe it or not. I would say all their stuff is pretty solid.

Loudness is a good example as well, and among the most known to western metal-heads. They have such a large catalog that there are a few weak tracks here and there but they've still managed to rock.

Janne da Arc is one band that is more of a pop-rock group with anime and game music influences, but they have a significant element of hard rock/metal in many of their songs. I like the distinct contrast of that in their sound.

Sex Machineguns are a pretty fun group that I would also need to mention.

Also enjoy some tracks from Seikima II.
Back to top Go down
rockhardridefree
Metal novice
Metal novice
rockhardridefree

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 3:01 am

Yes I am a gamer, Samurai Shodown and KOF are great games from SNK. ~
Anyway I still enjoy the classics: X Japan, Earthshaker, Seikima-II, Dead End, Starless, Metalucifer, Gargoyle, Doom, Skywings, Anthem, Bow Wow, Sabbrabells, Loudness, Dir en Grey, Dead Pop Stars, Malice Mizer, Onmyo-Za, Mandrake Root catalog
Other bands I love (mostly VK or all girl): Versailles, Galneryus, Jupiter, Kamijo, Moi dix Mois, Secilia Luna, G∀lmet, FullMoon, e:cho, Mary's Blood
d=(ยด▽`)=b
Back to top Go down
Glower
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Glower

Number of posts : 3219

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Wow - that's a listing !
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37871

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2016 4:45 pm

My knowledge of Japanese metal begins with Loudness and ends with E-Z-O, so I'm just gonna smile and nod and move onto something else. Laughing very hard

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
ultmetal
Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 10:28 am

Nice list. I'll add Japanese thrash metal band United to the list. I'm new to X-Japan but enjoying them and will be adding more to NLTM.

Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 12:30 am

Looking forward to reading your reviews of X Japan's other albums, Ult. They were one of the first bands I ever really loved. Be warned, though, that Dahlia is the most ballad-focused record, somewhat like the polar opposite of their debut, Vanishing Vision. However, it's more like listening to classical music than something like "Every Rose Has Its Thorns". That put it in a league of its own.

Tracks like "Crucify My Love" were as instrumental in winning me to X as their heavier stuff like "Kurenai". Smile
Back to top Go down
brokentulsa
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
brokentulsa

Number of posts : 1779

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 1:10 am

Love The Anthem album Heavy Metal Anthem with Graham Bonnet...

Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitimeSun Jul 31, 2016 11:56 pm

Apparently, Luna Sea (one of the most influential and amazing visual j-rock groups ever) remade their first indie album in its entirety and released several versions. The original edition had that very abrasive, ear-piercing lo-fi punk sound that many underground bands had in the 80s. The remake was to celebrate their roots in light of their recent reunion. One particular version includes an actual cassette tape, which contains tracks from the late 80s demo. But the fact that they are reprinting it on the same format that it was originally published for is pretty cool. This is the limited edition set:

To rockhardridefree... Premiumboxcontents

Visual kei bands were big on demo tapes during the 80s/90s. The big name bands have some demos that fetch a high price. Some of this material you'd hear before the bands went more mainstream/pop was incredibly eccentric. Very unusual tracks can be heard that have a very post-punk feel to them. Let me cite an example. Garnet was the band before Kuroyume, another well-known visual group. Before they signed to any labels, they did stuff like this:

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: To rockhardridefree...   To rockhardridefree... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

To rockhardridefree...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: