Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Changes

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeWed Oct 03, 2007 11:38 am

I was just listening to Amorphis Against Widows from Elegy and it reminded me how much I liked the style of that album and how disappointed I was that they moved away from it. I understand some bands need to change with each release but it is frustrating especially when there isn't a band who continues in the direction that a band turned from. Other examples are: Sentenced changing from Amok to Down (although I do like both styles), Amorphis changing from Tales... to Elegy, Paradise Lost after Draconian Times, Anathema after The Silent Enigma, etc. How many bands sound like the former band's albums mentioned? None that I can think of. Am I just too picky here or do some of you agree with me?
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 2:02 pm

I agree with you. Paradise Lost was a huge disappointment to my friends and I when we heard "One Second". It was the end of a great band, no matter what the reviews say about the new one, its still not the true Paradise Lost.
But as for Amorphis, you kinda saw it coming. The change from Thousand Lakes to Elegy is huge. But I agree they could have remained the band that produced Elegy. That album is awesome from beginning to end. But their name IS Amorphis. Smile
Back to top Go down

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 2:24 pm

I think all the PARADISE LOST albums are good...some just better than others...I like how they've morphed around...and the new one is AWESOME!!
Back to top Go down
SAHB Healer
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
SAHB Healer

Number of posts : 2793

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 7:19 pm

I just posted on this subject on the "Top 50" Death Metal thread. I agree with you. There's a nice middle ground between full on Death and the melodic pop some of these bands have drifted into. Elegy for me is the perfect mix, and I feel that way about Paradise Lost "Icon" too.
Back to top Go down

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 8:25 pm

I still like Paradise Lost, but they've never been a band to blow me away.

Amorphis, however, I absolutely love! I think everything is killer, except the Privilege Of Evil EP, which is just OK in my book. If you miss the Elegy sound, you should check out Eclipse and Silent Waters. They're both more like Elegy than anything since.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 10:24 pm

Eyesore wrote:

Amorphis, however, I absolutely love! I think everything is killer, except the Privilege Of Evil EP, which is just OK in my book. If you miss the Elegy sound, you should check out Eclipse and Silent Waters. They're both more like Elegy than anything since.

Thanks for the tip!Very Happy I will check those guys out.
Back to top Go down

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 10:43 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
Eyesore wrote:

Thanks for the tip!Very Happy I will check those guys out.
They brought back the death metal vocals on Eclipse. They continued this on Silent Waters. There are still songs that are like those on Tuonela, Am Universum and Far From The Sun, but that was present on Elegy as well. Tuonela, Am Universum and Far From The Sun are all mellow, there's nothing heavy about them. Elegy, Eclipse and Silent Waters mixes the mellow with the heavy, and that gives the albums a heavier feel overall.

Elegy, if you really listen, isn't that heavy of an album.

EDIT: By the way, The Karelian Isthmus is an album I've never been able to find, and I always forget to look for it when I'm somewhere that would likely have it. Haha. I've never heard it. So if anyone has an extra copy, let me know.
Back to top Go down

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeThu Oct 04, 2007 11:05 pm

It should also be noted that there is a new singer in Amorphis. Pasi is gone. The new guy, when singing mellow, can sound a bit like Chad Kroeger from Nickelback. Haha. But just a little. He sounds great, though. I forget his name at the moment, but he's the dude from Sinisthra.

Listen to "Weaving The Incantation": http://www.myspace.com/amorphismusic

Sorry for hijacking this thread. When I get talking music, this sometimes happens! Laughing very hard
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:08 am

Eyesore wrote:
EDIT: By the way, The Karelian Isthmus is an album I've never been able to find, and I always forget to look for it when I'm somewhere that would likely have it. Haha. I've never heard it. So if anyone has an extra copy, let me know.

I had it almost 10 years ago and it is basically the same as 1000 Lakes but without keyboards. Unfortunatly it was one of the CDs I got rid of back then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Changes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Changes   Changes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Changes
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Heart Of Metal :: Music Forums :: Heart Of Metal-
Jump to: