Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)

Go down 
+11
80s Metal Lady
metalinmyveins
sovdat
BearOnUnicycle
Thrasher73
MoonChild
Citanul
Required Fields
DakotaRogers
Wurthless
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Favorite tune off The Spectre Within?
'Traveler in Time'
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_lcap5%Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
'Orphan Gypsy'
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_lcap11%Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_rcap
 11% [ 2 ]
'Without a Trace'
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_lcap21%Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_rcap
 21% [ 4 ]
'Pirates of the Underground'
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_lcap5%Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_rcap
 5% [ 1 ]
'The Apparition'
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_lcap53%Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_rcap
 53% [ 10 ]
'Kyrie Eleison'
Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_lcap0%Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
'Epitaph'
 5% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

AuthorMessage

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Empty
PostSubject: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:24 pm

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) 3408
The first of the two most critically acclaimed albums by Fates Warning, The Spectre Within was a significant improvement on its 1984 predecessor, still retaining the five original members in its roster.

It's really tough for me to choose a favorite, as all songs here are quite brilliant. "The Apparition" is brilliant, but I know it's going to be everyone's pick, so I'll go with either "Traveler in Time" or "Epitaph".
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:37 pm

Playing into the expectations, I have to go with the Apparition. But I love every track on this album. Epitaph would've been my sleeper pick.

I mean, good goddamn, just thinking about this vocal run in the Apparition gives me chills:

"Flame is burning center of a fountain yearning, waters
Spring eternal, spiritual water, physical fire
Above center is sky, cold, cold neverness
Just vastness filled with stars upon stars.
In the four corners of life are the golden mirrors
Reflecting what you are and what you are to be.

In the first is a young boy, white dove in
His hand, in the second is a warrior in armor
In the third is the old man, gold watch
In his hand, fourth and last
No reflection at all"

Holy shit I wish I wrote that, haha.
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:37 pm

"Orphan Gypsy" it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:38 pm

I had to go with the chilling "Epitaph". What a way to close off the album.
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 9:42 pm

Without a Trace has my vote.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:21 pm

The Apparition
Back to top Go down
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 1:40 am

Without a Trace
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 1:52 am

Orphan Gypsy
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 3:28 am

The Apparition.
Back to top Go down
sovdat
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal

Number of posts : 1786

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 5:09 am

The Apparition, one of the most epic metal songs ever.

I would also choose Spectre over Guardian.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 8:24 am

The Apparition!
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 12:09 pm

The Apparition
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 11:55 pm

"Without A Trace"

Really trying to get into this band, but I can't. They have that sound that I like, but the songs are just not memorable to me and singer wails a lot which bogs down the songs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 3:27 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
Really trying to get into this band, but I can't. They have that sound that I like, but the songs are just not memorable to me and singer wails a lot which bogs down the songs.
It is a very off-putting album, if only on the first couple of spins. I've found it easier to immerse over subsequent listens. I think the fact that it's so consistent is what I like so much about it. Not all parts can be easily recreated in my mind, but as soon as they come up, I feel like I've always known it by heart.

As far as the vocals go, they take time to grow on you. John Arch is a very polarizing vocalist, much like King Diamond, Midnight, and Mark "The Shark" Shelton. I used to think Ray Alder was the superior vocalist in Fates Warning, but all it took was "getting to know" the second and third albums more to fully grasp why they're such monumental metal classics, and not just limited to USPM or progressive metal.
Back to top Go down
BearOnUnicycle
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
BearOnUnicycle

Number of posts : 1064

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 3:52 am

80s Metal Lady wrote:
"Without A Trace"

I'd suggest going for Ray Alder material, like Parallels or Perfect Symmetry. Much more listenable than Spectre or Guardian. No Exit isn't too bad to start as a transitional album either. The Arch material is too twisted to get into sometimes, even for fanbiy of this band like me.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 am

BearOnUnicycle wrote:
The Arch material is too twisted to get into sometimes, even for fanbiy of this band like me.

What I find with the Arch material is that the transitions in the songs don't always work. I have no problem with songs having different sections and going through changes, so I have no issues with the band doing that, it's just that sometimes it feels a bit too abrupt (although I can't think of a good example right now).

However, I don't find this to be the case with Arch/Matheos. So maybe that's a case of improved songwriting over the intervening period.
Back to top Go down
80s Metal Lady
Metal master
Metal master
80s Metal Lady

Number of posts : 896

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 10:57 am

Thanks you guys. I'll definitely listen to each album that has a poll several times. I won't give up on Fates Warning.
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26454

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 1:11 pm

The Apparition gets my vote.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 7:00 pm

Painkiller wrote:
. "The Apparition" is brilliant, but I know it's going to be everyone's pick, so I'll go with either "Traveler in Time" or "Epitaph".

You just have to be different than everyone else.

Is it that hard to pick your "true" favorite tune without worrying how others are going to choose?

"The Apparition" for me cause it's the best song on the LP (IMHDO)

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 11:20 pm

Nope, never implied such a thing. My "true" favorite is indeed the closer.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 7:54 am

My second fave FW. I chose "The Apparition."
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12763

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 10:20 am

Painkiller wrote:
Nope, never implied such a thing.

"The Apparition" is brilliant, but I know it's going to be everyone's pick, so I'll go with either "Traveler in Time" or "Epitaph". wrote:

im·plied
ADJECTIVE
1.suggested but not directly expressed; implicit:

I would say that quote fits the textbook definition of the word. But we all know that you are like Clinton and have different meanings for words than anyone else.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 11:43 am

James B. wrote:
Painkiller wrote:
Nope, never implied such a thing.

im·plied
ADJECTIVE

I would say that quote fits the textbook definition of the word.  But we all know that you are like Clinton and have different meanings for words than anyone else.

Not to pile on, but yes that quote implied that he "Painkiller" might have picked The Apparition, but he decided not to go in that direction, due to the fact that everyone else would most likely pick that song.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 8:41 pm

James B. wrote:
im·plied
ADJECTIVE

I would say that quote fits the textbook definition of the word.  But we all know that you are like Clinton and have different meanings for words than anyone else.
I think it's amusing that you still try.
metalinmyveins wrote:
Not to pile on, but...
"I'm not racist, but..."
Back to top Go down
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2016 11:11 pm

James B. wrote:
You just have to be different than everyone else.

Is it that hard to pick your "true" favorite tune without worrying how others are going to choose?

James B. wrote:

im·plied
ADJECTIVE

metalinmyveins wrote:
Not to pile on, but yes that quote implied that he "Painkiller" might have picked The Apparition, but he decided not to go in that direction, due to the fact that everyone else would most likely pick that song.

You know what they say, with old age comes the desperate need to be argumentative.  surprised
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)   Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fates Warning - The Spectre Within (1985)
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next