Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Savatage song battle - Final Round

Go down 
+4
DallasBlack
Lari
Citanul
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

Savatage song battle - Final Round Empty
PostSubject: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 1:53 pm

So this has turned out to be a fitting final - two of Savatage's best songs up against each other.

Hall Of The Mountain King vs Gutter Ballet
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 2:18 pm

Gutter Ballet.

It has the better video. I guess that's something to separate two great songs. Better lyrics, too.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 2:25 pm

Hall Of The Mountain King. Their best song as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 3:11 pm

Hard decision but I'll have to go with my first Jon Oliva song, Hall.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
MoonChild
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 15680

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 8:09 pm

Hall Of The Mountain King.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 8:48 pm

Hall of the Mountain King. This is where it all began for me on Headbanger's Ball in 1987.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 8:55 pm

the sentinel wrote:
Hall of the Mountain King. This is where it all began for me on Headbanger's Ball in 1987.

It began with Headbangers Ball for me as well but the song was Edge Of Thorns in 1993. However, Hall was my first Jon song. Even thought the song isn't until the middle of the album, I bought it from a used tape store and started on side two. So Prelude was actually my first Jon song, but since the two always went hand in hand, I consider them together.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 9:42 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

It began with Headbangers Ball for me as well but the song was Edge Of Thorns in 1993. However, Hall was my first Jon song. Even thought the song isn't until the middle of the album, I bought it from a used tape store and started on side two. So Prelude was actually my first Jon song, but since the two always went hand in hand, I consider them together.

Oh, yeah, Mike, they are inseparable to me as well. When the wife and I saw TSO last December, they played "Prelude" and it was weird not hearing the thunder clap and then Criss' riff to the Hall.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2016 11:38 pm

Hall of the Mountain King.

A most immortal song. Decades later and it still sounds fresh. One of the few.

"My friends..."
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 40562

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:15 am

the sentinel wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
the sentinel wrote:

Oh, yeah, Mike, they are inseparable to me as well. When the wife and I saw TSO last December, they played "Prelude" and it was weird not hearing the thunder clap and then Criss' riff to the Hall.

Yes, they must be played together. It just isn't quite right if they're separated.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:19 pm

The toughest thing about the HotMK album--other than the shoddy production--is actually getting to the title track. It's the damndest journey. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE every single song on that album. But no matter what, whenever I throw it on, I get this anxiety while excitedly anticipating Prelude to arrive. I think I need to start listening to it starting at Prelude and the title track, then navigating back to 24 Hours Ago.

I really take my CD listening sessions seriously lol.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:43 pm

corplhicks wrote:
The toughest thing about the HotMK album--other than the shoddy production--is actually getting to the title track. It's the damndest journey. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE every single song on that album. But no matter what, whenever I throw it on, I get this anxiety while excitedly anticipating Prelude to arrive. I think I need to start listening to it starting at Prelude and the title track, then navigating back to 24 Hours Ago.

I don't know why, I guess I didn't look at the tape correctly, but for several years, I thought Prelude was the first song. It wasn't until the upgrade to CD that I realized I had been listening to it the other way. Even to this day, it feels weird listening to it the proper way.

And yes, the production is pretty weak. Even at top volume it isn't very loud.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 12:48 pm

DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

I don't know why, I guess I didn't look at the tape correctly, but for several years, I thought Prelude was the first song. It wasn't until the upgrade to CD that I realized I had been listening to it the other way. Even to this day, it feels weird listening to it the proper way.

You know, you may have been hearing it the best way that whole time. Looking at the track listing, switching sides would make for a wicked experience, ending with Strange Wings. I'm gonna give that a shot later today.
Back to top Go down
DallasBlack
Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 1:35 pm

corplhicks wrote:
DallasBlack wrote:
corplhicks wrote:

You know, you may have been hearing it the best way that whole time. Looking at the track listing, switching sides would make for a wicked experience, ending with Strange Wings. I'm gonna give that a shot later today.

Cool! Yeah, Strange Wings works much better as an album closer than as a mid track IMO.
Back to top Go down
Citanul
Metal master
Metal master
Citanul

Number of posts : 657

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 2:05 pm

I'm going to buck the trend and pick Gutter Ballet.

I'm actually more a fan of later Savatage than their earlier style, and as good a song as Hall Of The Mountain King is, Gutter Ballet edges if for me.

But unless there are a flood of votes for Gutter Ballet (which seems unlikely), it looks like Hall will be the winner. I did suspect that would be the case right from the beginning, but I though that Savatage would be an interesting band to do given how their sound changed, and as I hadn't listened to them in a while, this spurred to go back and just enjoy some great music.

And thanks to everyone for taking part! headbanger
Back to top Go down
Lari
Metal is Forever
Lari

Number of posts : 6377

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 4:46 pm

I always enjoyed this live version, too

Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 10:35 pm

I could see the album beginning with Prelude/ Hall and ending with the amazing "Strange Wings" as I feel that songs with an atmosphere or ambience should start off the album. I think we are on to something here:
Turbo starts with "Out In The Cold"
Ram It Down starts with "Blood Red Skies"
Holy Diver switch "Stand Up And Shout" with the Title Track
Back to top Go down
nevermore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
nevermore

Number of posts : 26449

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 10:26 am

Hall Of The Mountain King
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:53 pm

the sentinel wrote:
I could see the album beginning with Prelude/ Hall and ending with the amazing "Strange Wings" as I feel that songs with an atmosphere or ambience should start off the album.

I tried it out; it kinda works and kinda doesn't. I think the issue is 24 Hours. It is my second favorite track here, but it's a little different from the rest. I think it may be the attitude and the outro or something. So when I hit that track in the middle of the sequence, it's a little jarring.

However, getting the title track out of the way was a magnificent start (god that song never gets old) and made the rest of the album more enjoyable. Getting Devastation a little earlier was nice, that's probably my #3 track, and closing with Strange Wings made for a nice finish with its more commercial vibe. Overall, I'll probably be doing this from now on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Savatage song battle - Final Round   Savatage song battle - Final Round Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Savatage song battle - Final Round
Page 1 of 1