Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.

Go down 
+18
brokentulsa
UNCLE SAXON'S KICKASS CDS
Shawn Of Fire
Getizzyback
Gilbert
Hadley
scottmitchell74
chewie
John Madden
Red Kitty
manny
the sentinel
leafinator
metalinmyveins
Boris2008
Runicen
Vexer6
Wurthless
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

Number of posts : 5067

Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Empty
PostSubject: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 12:16 am

I tried to give Confessor's Condemned an honest listen a few years back and just shrugged it off as overrated underground tech metal that I didn't get the appeal of. I stumbled across the three year old spotify playlist of the album I made tonight and gave it another shot... and what the hell did I not get? I think the vocals initially turned me off but now they seem to really fit the angular-riff filled doomy tech metal that I've only heard Confessor create.

It makes me wonder how much perception/perspective effects how much a person enjoys something.

Needless to say, something about their sound just finally came together and made sense to me after I'd initially written them off as something I didn't enjoy. Do you guys have any similar stories?
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 1:21 am

I didn't really warm up to Def Leppard's latter albums like Slang, Euphoria, or X initially, but I felt more positively about them after listening to them in recent years.

Metallica's Load and Reload also left me rather cold initially, now I can appreciate them more(though they still do have too much filler), can't say the same about St. Anger though, it's still every bit as bad as I remembered it being.

Back to top Go down
Runicen
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Runicen

Number of posts : 1598

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 8:58 am

I hated Savatage when I first heard a full album of theirs. Granted, it was Dead Winter Dead which, though improved in my view, is probably their worst album overall. So, some of it was down to my introduction, but I've come to really love their stuff all around.

I also remember hating Elvis Costello's voice when I was first introduced to his stuff and have since come to really appreciate his stuff. Not metal, but same principle.
Back to top Go down
Boris2008
Metal is Forever
Boris2008

Number of posts : 7234

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:53 am

Radiohead I always thought that they were just overrated miserable indie boys until I heard Paranoid Android (for the umteenth time) over headphones. I was blown away and have continued to be blown away ever since.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 11:19 am

Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  71PrfBnIAlL._SX425_

In the 80s I absolutely loathed this album. If someone put Sledgehammer or Big Time on the stereo they risked permanent injury or death by my hands.

Flash forward to 2015 and after becoming a fan of both Gabriel's work in Genesis and his solo albums I would now consider "So" to be one of the very best albums of the 1980s.
Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 11:27 am

I've always loved "So" as a whole, but initially I hated Big Time... and after living with the album for a long time, having a fuller understanding of the satirical aspect of the song has helped me appreciate it and even enjoy it.
Peter's solo stuff is so nuanced and there's always more layers to peel back and uncover in later listens. He was and is a master of his craft.

One of my favorite quotes is one of his, "A good song is something that makes you feel, makes you think, and if you're really lucky, it makes you move." I love that sentiment. He's one of my idols in life.
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 4:56 pm

For myself, Peter Gabriel was like Dylan, Lemmy, Stevie Nicks, art, independent movies & various alcoholic drinks...an acquired taste. It took some time for myself to get past his vocal style. Once I did that, I found out how much I loved early Genesis and some of his solo stuff.
Back to top Go down
leafinator
Metal novice
Metal novice

Number of posts : 8

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 6:18 pm

Pantera. I'm kind of embarrassed about it but the first time I listened to a few songs I must not have been in the right mood so I brushed them off. A few years later I dug out the cd that I'd bought again on the advice of a friend and couldn't figure out what my issue was when I listened to it before.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 8:20 pm

I can't think of any artists or bands I didn't "like" and have since become a fan; but there are a few that I "ignored" for a long time or the greatest hits/ best selling album was enough for me. Saxon, as I said in another thread, was one that I grew to love. Manowar is another. And also, April Wine. There are a few bands that I no longer actively buy new releases from and just don't consider myself much of a fan anymore- Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, and anything involving Geoff Tate.
Back to top Go down
manny
mini boss
mini boss
manny

Number of posts : 21101

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2015 10:31 pm

Easy one for me, Duran Duran. In their 80's heyday viewed them almost as a boy band, til one day I actually listened to them and then became a fan
Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 6:42 am

manny wrote:
Easy one for me, Duran Duran. In their 80's heyday viewed them almost as a boy band, til one day I actually listened to them and then became a fan

It's funny you should mention Duran Duran. I just picked up "All You Need Is Now" (2011) from the library. It's really good and it's a return to their 80's sound, with of course some elements of the current music scene. I don't think I had EVER listened to their s/t (1981) up until a few days ago. I knew "Girls on Film" and "Is There Something I Should Know?" (which was added as part of a re-release in '83), but never heard the rest. One of my favorite songs off that album is "(Waiting for the) Night Boat". It's a pretty heavy/dark song for Duran Duran. I remember picking up "Red Carpet Massacre" (2007) from the library a couple of years ago and that one did nothing for me. I remember feeling that there wasn't one good song on the album. I guess they just released "Paper Gods" within the last few weeks. I will have to check that one out.. Hopefully it has that "All You Need Is Now" feel to it.
Back to top Go down
Red Kitty
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Red Kitty

Number of posts : 1006

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 7:50 am

Rush - Signals

After the brilliant 'Moving Pictures', Signals left me really cold for a LONG time. The overall sound/tone took a complete 180 in my opinion. Then one day, I gave it another shot and VOILA! It clicked, just like that. It still stands as one of my favorite Rush albums.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 11:35 am

Signals is really not that big of a departure. In fact, the last song on Moving Pictures (Vital Signs) points the way. Signals is one of my favorites and has been since I first saw the music video for Subdivisions on HBO Video Jukebox back in the fall of '82.

Back to top Go down
Wurthless
Metal is Forever
Wurthless

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeWed Oct 07, 2015 12:15 pm

I'd say the synth period (excluding Hold Your Fire and Presto, which are kinda bland & mediocre) is the most wrongfully underrated part of Rush's career. Signals, Grace Under Pressure, and Power Windows are all among my favorites of theirs.
Back to top Go down
John Madden
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
John Madden

Number of posts : 279

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 10:10 am

Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  1 My dad had this when I was a thrasher in the mid-80's. HATED IT.Now I consider it a fantastic album.Still hate most of their other stuff though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 11:21 am

John Madden wrote:
Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  1 My dad had this when I was a thrasher in the mid-80's. HATED IT.Now I consider it a fantastic album.Still hate most of their other stuff though.

The first 3 albums are essential (in my opinion). Same goes for the first two Blood, Sweat & Tears albums (though they went to utter shit on their third record).
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 5:20 pm

S.D. wrote:

In the 80s I absolutely loathed this album.  If someone put Sledgehammer or Big Time on the stereo they risked permanent injury or death by my hands.  

Flash forward to 2015 and after becoming a fan of both Gabriel's work in Genesis and his solo albums I would now consider "So" to be one of the very best albums of the 1980s.  

I've always loved the So album. Red Rain, This Is The Picture, We Do What Were Told, That Voice Again, Mercy Street; all great songs along with the hits. Yeah, Duran Duran was one that I always kinda liked, but didn't until I gave the first album a good listen (and after getting into Japan).
Back to top Go down
scottmitchell74
Jada Pinkett Smith's Cabana Boy
scottmitchell74

Number of posts : 9051

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 10:15 pm

Ahem...Judas Priest.

The problem was, my only exposure to them was what was on the local rock channel. Once Fight - A War of Words exposed me to the true awesomeness of Rob Halford was I able to go back and look into Judas Priest. Now I consider them an essential part of my collection.
Back to top Go down
Hadley
Metal master
Metal master

Number of posts : 992

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Ditto for Duran Duran. Could never get into them until i heard Seven and the Ragged Tiger. Great album, and the stuff that came afterwards is just as good.
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9939

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeSun Oct 11, 2015 12:53 am

Nevermore. I couldn't really get into them.

But I've grown to appreciate them over the years. As a matter of fact, I picked up three of their albums a few days ago.

this said, their music is still no easy ride for my ears.
Back to top Go down
Getizzyback
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
Getizzyback

Number of posts : 428

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 10:16 am

Britny Fox, when I first heard them all I could hear is that slap beat from Girlschool driving me nuts! Never cared for them at all back in the days they were around.
Low and behold I found an old cassette I bought cheap from somewhere "Boys in Heat" around 6-7 years ago and 2 days later I was cleaning out amazon of their 4-5 albums on CD.
Back to top Go down
Shawn Of Fire
Metal is Forever
Shawn Of Fire

Number of posts : 6719

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 2:23 pm

I used to not be into King Diamond...I love those albums now!

Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 7:40 pm

scottmitchell74 wrote:
Ahem...Judas Priest.

The problem was, my only exposure to them was what was on the local rock channel. Once Fight - A War of Words exposed me to the true awesomeness of Rob Halford was I able to go back and look into Judas Priest. Now I consider them an essential part of my collection.

You think you know somebody... angry

JK of course Smile
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 7:41 pm

Getizzyback wrote:
Britny Fox, when I first heard them all I could hear is that slap beat from Girlschool driving me nuts! Never cared for them at all back in the days they were around.
Low and behold I found an old cassette I bought cheap from somewhere "Boys in Heat" around 6-7 years ago and 2 days later I was cleaning out amazon of their 4-5 albums on CD.

That is such a killer album!
Back to top Go down
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood

Number of posts : 2998

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitimeThu Oct 15, 2015 8:17 pm

I LOVE GUNS n ROSES NOW!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.    Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Albums/artists you used to dislike that just clicked.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next