Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)

Go down 
+9
chewie
tohostudios
Dark Horseman
Vexer6
Fat Freddy
Thelemech
James B.
metalinmyveins
mikeinfla
13 posters
AuthorMessage
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Empty
PostSubject: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 7:03 am

Gary has passed away. No details other than what Kevin posted:

Hi friends, kc here. My longtime friend and collaborator Gary Richrath passed away earlier today. I feel so sad. Gary was both a unique guitarist and songwriter, and the embodiment of the tough guy with a heart of gold. I learned most of what I know about being in a rock band from Gary Richrath. The entire REO Family mourns his death and shares in the grief of his family, friends, and fans. These words do not come close to expressing the depth of emotions I am feeling at this time...kc
PS. This photo has been on my music room table for as long as I can remember, and will stay there.

Back to top Go down
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 8:43 am

R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
James B.
Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12630

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 9:15 am

A longtime admired player, one of those guys who had a tone you'd instantly knew as him. (RIP)

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 12:26 pm

I have been exploring the hard rock period of Reo Speedwagon in the last couple of years and I must say that I am impressed.

Another one gone! R.I.P.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 1:06 pm

Well, that's a bummer. R.I.P.

Quote :
I have been exploring the hard rock period of Reo Speedwagon in the last couple of years and I must say that I am impressed.

Same here. On a whim I picked up a 2-CD set of their early stuff (A Decade of Rock & Roll: 1970-1980) a year or so ago at a thrift shop, and I ended up digging it a lot more than I'd anticipated. ("Wow, these guys actually kicked ass once upon a time. Who knew?" Haha)

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Vexer6
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
Vexer6

Number of posts : 1307

PostSubject: REO Speedwagon's Gary Richrath has passed away   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:18 pm

Just learned about this today after a radio station played "Riding The Storm" as a tribute, so sad:http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/music/2015/09/14/reo-speedwagon-guitarist-gary-richrath-dies/72252516/
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:28 pm

He was a good player, RIP.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37654

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 3:32 pm

Already being discussed here:
http://www.heartofmetal.net/t22829-rip-gary-richrath-reo-speedwagon

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Dark Horseman
Metal Wanker
Dark Horseman

Number of posts : 6039

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:14 pm

Like was said, a great player with his own tone. Sad.
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:33 pm

Crap, that sucks.  I always liked his guitar playing because you could easily distinguish him from anybody else around at the time.  

RIP.

Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 4:58 pm

RIP
Back to top Go down
tohostudios
King Of Kaiju
tohostudios

Number of posts : 30892

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 6:00 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Well, that's a bummer. R.I.P.

Quote :

Same here. On a whim I picked up a 2-CD set of their early stuff (A Decade of Rock & Roll: 1970-1980) a year or so ago at a thrift shop, and I ended up digging it a lot more than I'd anticipated. ("Wow, these guys actually kicked ass once upon a time. Who knew?" Haha)

My two favorites from REO are You Can Tune A Piano But You Can't Tune A Fish and Nine Lives.  They started wimping out with Hi Infidelity but even that one has some great tracks on it:

As usual 2 or 3 notes into it you can recognize Richrath's guitar.

And while "Time For Me To Fly" from Tuna Fish was played to death, as "ballads" go I think it's one of my favorites.

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 14, 2015 6:20 pm

It's high time I investigated their earlier studio albums. I was familiar with the 80s hits...which is why I never bothered looking further. Aside from a couple songs like Riding The Storm Out and Golden Country I'm unfamiliar with their earlier work.

Time to hit Apple Music this evening and check out some of those records...

Back to top Go down
mikeinfla
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
mikeinfla

Number of posts : 2477

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:10 am

I agree, Time For Me To Fly never gets old for me. Prob my favorite too of the slower songs. And check out this version:

And to clear the palate after Dolly, he's a Gary guitar solo

Back to top Go down
MetalRob331
Dinky Do
MetalRob331

Number of posts : 4830

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 3:35 pm

Such a killer guitar player and may he RIP!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 3:44 pm

RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) 61JiXlPJ-oL._SS280

Listened to the debut album last night and there's definitely some good rock and roll guitar playing on display. I must admit that the lack of Kevin Cronin on vocals was a refreshing change (he annoys me to no end).
Back to top Go down
Gilbert
Metal is Forever
Gilbert

Number of posts : 9888

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Damn. Too bad. I have a best of which I play on a regular basis. Rip.

رحمك الله
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 7:39 pm

S.D. wrote:
RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) 61JiXlPJ-oL._SS280

Listened to the debut album last night and there's definitely some good rock and roll guitar playing on display.  I must admit that the lack of Kevin Cronin on vocals was a refreshing change (he annoys me to no end).

That's the future Starcastle singer on the debut album!
Back to top Go down
TheGreatDuck
Metal master
Metal master
TheGreatDuck

Number of posts : 648

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 15, 2015 9:08 pm

Cronin is actually pretty good on their heavier/rocking songs. Does sound a bit annoying on ballads, though.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2015 2:09 pm

I really like everything up to Live You Get What You Play For. R.E.O. from 1976 which IMO is their best album.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)   RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RIP Gary Richrath (REO Speedwagon)
Page 1 of 1