Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"

Go down 
+13
akeldama
Wrecked Neck
GrandNational
James B.
corplhicks
metalinmyveins
Witchfinder
MetalGuy71
Troublezone
manny
the sentinel
chewie
Fat Freddy
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
metalinmyveins
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
metalinmyveins

Number of posts : 3325

Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 pm

Troublezone wrote:
S.D. wrote:
I worked at a used CD store in Seattle from 1996 to 1998 and mostly enjoyed dealing with the public and helping them to find music they might enjoy.  

The coolest experience I had was meeting Josh Homme (Kyuss, Queens Of The Stone Age) and helping him start a jazz collection.  I picked out 20 CDs for him and he bought them all.  A week later he came back, asked me to pick out another 20 CDs and he gave me a ticket for the QOTSA CD release party and also a signed copy of the Into The Void single on Man's Ruin.  

Very cool!

Ditto! That's awesome!
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 01, 2015 10:37 pm

I'd love to check this doc out.

I lived across town from our Tower so it was a rare visit (nearest store was Wherehouse). When I say 'rare' I mean 'akin to a Disneyland visit.' It was immense.

Now it's a Rasputin's, which maintains a somewhat similar CD, LP, VHS, and DVD inventory, but nowhere near as deep.
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

Number of posts : 17063

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Sep 02, 2015 7:53 pm

I will definitely watch this documentary. Tower was a relic of a time when the music industry flourished.
Back to top Go down
the sentinel
Metal is Forever
the sentinel

Number of posts : 9428

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 8:55 pm

corplhicks wrote:
I'd love to check this doc out.

I lived across town from our Tower so it was a rare visit (nearest store was Wherehouse). When I say 'rare' I mean 'akin to a Disneyland visit.' It was immense.

Now it's a Rasputin's, which maintains a somewhat similar CD, LP, VHS, and DVD inventory, but nowhere near as deep.

My best friend visits family in Cali and talks huge about Rasputin's. He also talks up a place in Delaware called 2nd and Charles. He visits an old college friend there every now an again and has brought back some amazing scores for real cheap.

The only "name" record store I have ever been to is Princeton Records in Jersey. The wife and I went to Philly for a friends wedding a few months back and drove through Jersey on the way back. Ridiculous deals in that place.

When I first started to buy my own records and tapes there was a small store almost across the street from my parent's house and a few other Mom and Pop style places in downtown Providence, RI. But then the chains came in and killed them off and now the internet has killed the chains. And the drum bangs slowly...
Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 9:22 pm

I understand that they needed to close most of their stores, but why couldn't they keep some of the bigger stores open for the three major regions of the country? Like L.A. in the west, Dallas TX for the middle territory and maybe New York or Florida for the east coast...
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

Number of posts : 37625

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 10:18 pm

Quote :
I understand that they needed to close most of their stores, but why couldn't they keep some of the bigger stores open for the three major regions of the country? Like L.A. in the west, Dallas TX for the middle territory and maybe New York or Florida for the east coast...

The trailer seems to indicate that there was more to Tower's demise than the rise of digital music/downloading... apparently the Tower big-wigs were great at music, but they sucked at running a business.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 10:57 pm

I don't think keeping any of the locations was an option as they had declared bankruptcy and everything was liquidated.

Amoeba Records in Hollywood was already open prior to Tower closing and I think they absorbed a good bit of the customer base. Amoeba is owned by a San Fran company that purchased some of the closed Tower stores in California.

Back to top Go down
Troublezone
Road Warrior
Troublezone

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 4:56 am

If there was an Amoeba store closer to me, I would gladly visit it often.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 11, 2015 1:14 pm

Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

The trailer seems to indicate that there was more to Tower's demise than the rise of digital music/downloading... apparently the Tower big-wigs were great at music, but they sucked at running a business.

I'll assume this will be addressed in the doc, but weren't the guys that started Tower, for lack of a better term, just a bunch of hippies that liked music? They didn't have much business sense and were just lucky for many years.

Scurvy Skalliwag
James B.

Number of posts : 12599

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 19, 2015 10:32 pm

I had tweaker friends who dumpster dived at the Tower Warehouse Complex in West Sacramento and always came by with kewl music related swag-ness.

Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
GrandNational

Number of posts : 3830

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 12:36 am

There were 4 Tower Records in the LA area that I frequented from the late 90's to mid 00's. One of them I practically spent hours in every time I went. I think the last time I ever went to one was in 2007. Yup, all things must pass.
Back to top Go down
MetalGuy71
Bukkake Tsunami
MetalGuy71

Number of posts : 25557

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 10:28 am

MetalGuy71 wrote:
Fat Freddy wrote:
Quote :

I'll assume this will be addressed in the doc, but weren't the guys that started Tower, for lack of a better term, just a bunch of hippies that liked music? They didn't have much business sense and were just lucky for many years.

I watched this last night. It's on Showtime for those interested.

It's very good and yea, it was more than just Napster that shut them down. They were heading for a fall sooner or later with their poor business direction. The whole "downloading thing" just really pulled the rug out from under them and sped up the process.

Also of note, there are 85 Tower Records locations still in operation in Japan.

Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2016 12:23 pm

Quote :
I watched this last night. It's on Showtime for those interested.

I am waiting impatiently for this to get to Netflix or Amazon streaming.

HEY KIDS! Check out my way-cool CD and movie reviews and other geeky nonsense on the HubPages Network: http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 4:06 am

Got it set to record this week sometime. Spent many hours and lots of dollars in those stores, so looking forward to seeing the movie.

Speaking of record stores, anyone live in the Phoenix area? I used to love Zia records, and was wondering if they are still around.
Back to top Go down
akeldama
Metal is Forever
akeldama

Number of posts : 7831

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun May 08, 2016 8:17 am

I guess I'm grateful to have lived in Hicksville, USA where there wasn't a good record store cuz just hearing people talk about "when" is enough of a drag but when I lived in ABQ I loved to go to all the Hastings and still do when I'm out that way.
Back to top Go down
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39463

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 09, 2016 9:57 am

Wrecked Neck wrote:

Speaking of record stores, anyone live in the Phoenix area? I used to love Zia records, and was wondering if they are still around.

I've visited the Phoenix area a couple of times and went to Zia each time. I came out of there with some nice hauls. I believe they're still going strong (haven't been there in about 3 years).
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:52 am

anyone know if this is on Netflix?
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life

Number of posts : 39463

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:54 am

Addy wrote:

I just did a search on my account but came up with nothing.
Back to top Go down
Addy
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Addy

Number of posts : 4214

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2016 11:56 am

gonna keep my eye out on this one I was on Itunes yesterday and found a Slash Documentary called Born on the Sunset Strip would love to see that one too
Back to top Go down
http://rockconnection.rocksolyd.com
martinsane
Metal master
Metal master
martinsane

Number of posts : 924

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2016 10:47 pm

Just watched this as it is on Hoopla the local library digital check out site.

It is good.
Back to top Go down
muckie
Metal graduate
Metal graduate
muckie

Number of posts : 493

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 8:54 am

I remember Tower as a young'n. Mom and my sister used to buy some cassettes and CDs there from time to time. I remember the kiosks that let you sample music. I also bought one CD there as a teenager that I still have to this day, and that's the US version of L'Arc-en-Ciel's Smile album, some time before they folded. And speaking of J-rock, I was also going to mention how there are still Tower stores in Japan.

Zia is the best record store where I live, I'm a faithful customer and buy there often. The Phoenix one is still going, but I have only ever visited the two we have here in Vegas.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 9:35 am

Quote :
there are still Tower stores in Japan.

Yep. Anybody up for a road trip to Japan? I still miss Tower Records like hell. Very Happy

Back to top Go down
Wrecked Neck
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Wrecked Neck

Number of posts : 2654

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 1:59 pm

Addy wrote:
Don't think it's streaming,but you can get the disc from them.
Back to top Go down
chewie
Metal is Forever
chewie

Number of posts : 5014

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 10, 2016 2:17 pm

I finally saw this on the plane back from Costa Rica. Good documentary. It's too bad that they didn't follow it up with Russ's attempt to reopen as R5 Records(same colors and font) in that same spot across from the Tower Theater. It didn't last very long, it's been a Dimple Records since.

Trainspotting: Bob Delanoy was on our flight. I asked him if he still has the watch. He smiled and said "Yes" and showed me his wrist.
Back to top Go down
Fat Freddy
Metal, Movies, Beer
Metal, Movies, Beer
Fat Freddy

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 13, 2016 12:16 pm

martinsane wrote:
Just watched this as it is on Hoopla the local library digital check out site.

It is good.

My library has started offering access to the Hoopla network, too, so I just signed up. Will prob bust its cherry with the Tower doc tonite since the wife is currently wrapped up in watching the Summer Olympics (zzzzz.... snore....)

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"   Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass" - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tower Records documentary - "All Things Must Pass"
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next