Heart Of Metal
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS

Go down 
+9
ultmetal
SideShowDisaSter
stormspell
DakotaRogers
Required Fields
Eyesore
Thrasher73
Temple of Blood
Stender
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

Number of posts : 6557

Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Empty
PostSubject: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 5:35 pm

First time I heard this band was several years ago with Screams and whispers and I totally did not get it, probably mainly due to me being heavily into crossover and more raw, punk influenced thrash metal at the time. For some reason I revisited this band recently but decided to look into the first three albums I hadn't ever heard in chronological order. What an incredible band, I should have just checked out the earlier catalog, Anacrusis blended perfectly in my opinion prog and more technical type playing with a still raw thrash sound. Kenn Nardi has a great voice whether its screeching the F*ck out or as a clean melody. I still don't like Screams and whispers, but I consider this band to be one of the most underrated metal bands from the late 80s early 90s. Check em out if you are unfamiliar, there is an official website online with all of their recorded material for free download.

Anyways, thought I would bring up this band since I never really see em talked about much.
Back to top Go down
Temple of Blood
Metal is Forever
Temple of Blood

Number of posts : 5704

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 5:40 pm

Great band. I think MI or S&W are their best ones.

I don't consider them technical though .... just progressive.
Back to top Go down
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 6:14 pm

I like Suffering Hour but never could get into Screams and Whispers. Maybe I need to revisit it.Seemed like it was all over the place or whatever. It's been a few years and my tastes have changed somewhat.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 6:20 pm

Thrasher73 wrote:
I like Suffering Hour but never could get into Screams and Whispers. Maybe I need to revisit it.Seemed like it was all over the place or whatever. It's been a few years and my tastes have changed somewhat.

Yeah suffering hour is my favorite also, Reason and MI are good too but yeah, I think it's the synths on S and W that I'm not down with, maybe the vocals too. They seem cleaner and a lower key then the other albums but I'm listening to it now and I definitely can't say its an un listenable album.
Back to top Go down
Eyesore
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Eyesore

Number of posts : 12815

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 7:47 pm

I love Anacrusis, especially Screams and Whispers, which was my intro to the band. They are one of the few bands who, even today, have a totally unique sound. That's really rare in any genre. A fantastic band any way you slice it.

Shame they couldn't keep that reunion going. Oh well. Kenn's "solo" album is brilliant. Speaking of which, this is worth a skim, I think:

http://www.heartofmetal.net/t20861-anacrusis-kenn-nardi-dancing-with-the-past
Back to top Go down
Required Fields
Metal is my Life
Metal is my Life
Required Fields

Number of posts : 28617

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 8:59 pm

On another board I post at, Kenn Nardi was working with one of the board poster's wife. She asked him about their music, and it turned out he was a big fan. That must have been pretty cool to find out.

Didn't Kenn become a born again Christian after Anacrusis split up?
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/colinshanahan
DakotaRogers
Metal master
Metal master
DakotaRogers

Number of posts : 920

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 9:02 pm

I've always preferred Manic Impressions over Screams and Whispers, even though it's an emotionally taxing listen (similar to Dreaming Neon Black by Nevermore.)

The new Anacrusis double-album, released as a Kenn Nardi solo project, is a modern masterpiece. Of the 28 songs on the album, there isn't a bad one out of the bunch.
Back to top Go down
Stender
The lost Ramone
Stender

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Sounds like I need to check out Cruel April and the new album
Back to top Go down
stormspell
Heart of Metal
Heart of Metal
stormspell

Number of posts : 1593

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeFri Aug 07, 2015 9:43 pm

Eyesore wrote:
Shame they couldn't keep that reunion going. Oh well.

You will get a second chance at that. Anacrusis are going to play at Keep it True on April 2016 with the possibility to expand it to a short European tour.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cdbaby.com/all/stormspell
Thrasher73
Much Cooler than the other 72
Thrasher73

Number of posts : 8918

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 1:37 am

Yeah his solo album is a great listen.
Back to top Go down
SideShowDisaSter
Roo Jockey
SideShowDisaSter

Number of posts : 4607

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 10:44 am

Screams and Whispers was the first thing I ever heard from them. Love that album to this day. Manic Impressions is probably my favorite though, with Reasons and S & W tied for second. Not a bad album in their catalog, in my opinion.

The only band that I think is similar to them is Depressive Age. Other than them, no one really did what Anacrusis did.

Administrator
ultmetal

Number of posts : 19452

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 4:54 pm

Awesome band. Just did a video giving them some props.

Zooey Addict
DallasBlack

Number of posts : 17074

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 7:08 pm

I have Suffering Hour and Manic Impressions and they are fine albums.
Back to top Go down
http://rateyourmusic.com/~michelivannewcomb
TheseGoTo11
Metal novice
Metal novice
TheseGoTo11

Number of posts : 33

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 8:12 pm

One of my favorite bands cool

Out of all their stuff, Id put Screams And Whispers at #1, and Manic Impressions at #2. Kenn's solo album from last year is awesome too.
Back to top Go down
Thelemech
Metal is in my blood
Metal is in my blood
Thelemech

Number of posts : 4009

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 08, 2015 10:11 pm

I have about a dozen or so of their songs that I downloaded from their website and I find it quite good. I like the demo work they've done the most.
Back to top Go down
corplhicks
Metal is Forever
corplhicks

Number of posts : 7059

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitimeSat Aug 29, 2015 11:55 am

MI has to be one of the most profound albums of the 90's. I'm actually revisiting it right now--meant to listen to a portion but couldn't stop. It's unique and progressive without being dull or showy. The atmosphere created is rich with disturbed tension. Screams and Whispers has a similar effect, albeit in a different sense. Phenomenal band.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS   Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking a second look at ANACRUSIS
Page 1 of 1